MURPHY UNSUCCESSUL SUNDAY

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by msmurphy2010, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

Well, Saturday was perfect, her glucose was running in the 160s, and that was right after starting 2 units of Lantus twice per day. Yesterday was not so good, in the 300s all day long. I checked her at 6:00 a.m. 1.5 hours before she would normally eat and it was 294. I'm sort of wondering if my One Touch Ultra is not the right meter to use. Who knows. My vet, and she is wonderful, said that some times, the first month or so are just difficult for regulation, and I know when her diet changes to a higher protein, things will improve, I guess I have to give myself a break with the stress because it's only been 2.5 days on the Lantus 2 units. This is so stressful, it's affecting me during the day.

And, I'm having a really difficult time with testing her ear. I occasionally get a drop, but for the most part, I just bloody her little ear up. By that time, it is too stressful for her.

2. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

True, often here people will say it's a marathon, not a race. It's disheartening when it seems like there is no improvement. It took me several weeks to work up the courage to test Donovan after he had started getting Vetsulin. My heart absolutely sank when his numbers were still high. I really thought he'd be "better", and I felt like a failure. Eventually, he did get better. It's also not just about BG numbers, though they are important. He looked like crap when he was diagnosed. Over time, his fur looked nice again and he wasn't a lazy lethargic lump. Hang in there. You and Murphy are on the right path.

The ear testing will just take time for you to figure out what works for you and her. The warm rice sock, the ear massage, the vaseline on the poking site, the size of lancet, the location of the poke, how you "milk" the ear after poking to get that magic blood drop to appear, pressing the spot gently afterward to lessen bruising/scarring -- you'll find a way.

MJ&Donovan

3. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time with all of this ... it has been just about a year and a half since mocha's diagnosis and it is still hard for us too ... things have changed for us and there is no way to get around it .. I don't think mocha will ever become regulated and it's hard to make myself accept it, but it is what it is ... I agree with MJ though, it's not just about BG numbers .. when mocha was first diagnosed she was peeing a river every time she went potty .. and she was losing weight, to much to fast ... now she pee's like she should and she has gained her weight back and then some .. we are actually trying to take it back off her cause we know she needs to lose some ...

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

One thing that may not have been mentioned already is that YOUR stress will be passed on, so the reason she may be acting stressed is that she is picking up on YOUR stress. Try relaxing and you will see her relax too.

Are you using the lancet device for poking the ear? You may need to adjust the setting. Also, if you put a very tiny bit of vasoline on the ear, the blood drop will stay put and bead instead of spread all over the ear.

The numbers never improve before the cat improves, which is a good thing, if you stop and think about it. Do you want a happier cat or better numbers? I bet you will pick the cat and won't mind for the good numbers to happen.

Depending how long the cat's been diabetic, along with other issues, it may take longer to regulate, so instead of focusing on numbers and regulating, look to how she is acting and watch for signs of improvement like a silkier coat, less urine, weight stabilization or even a gain, stuff like that matter more than a bunch of numbers.

The numbers are a tool so that you can fine tune treatment and they are like walking a tightrope; there will be wobbles this way and that, but just keep with the plan and you will get closer to regulation.... when she is ready, not when you want it!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi Murphy's mommie...I'm not at all surprised at your #'s. That how lantus works. It builds up a 'shed' in the muscle tissue for a couple of days and then it goes to work. Maybe you should introduce yourself on the Lantus Insulin room.
    As for the pokey pokey...did i or anyone eles ever send you the great utube video of doing the pokey?
    If not I'll send it right away.
    pokey=testing (i tell tom we're gonna do the pokey pokey) I think he likes that concept than the 'ear pricking' :lol:

6. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

The OTU meter is an excellent meter.......the only one I use and trust. As for regulation, it may happen, it may not. Some cats go into remission just with a food change....some with a food change and some shots of insulin.....some never go into remission no matter what you do. I have always called it "control for the day", not regulation. You may have good control for a week, then one day it all goes wonky again......you have to remember to look at the whole cat......not just the numbers.

7. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

I was so stressed out.... so bad the first 2 weeks I called the vet every BG poke. They even told me to stop testing but I was giving 3 u twice a day so that was out of the question. DH was doing the poking the ear. I was spineless then I came here and read and read. With the help of these Angels I learned to Breath. I got that big old towel and made a love bundle out of him.Took a few days to stop shaking after I was done sticking a lancet in my boys ear. I done it and he loves me so much he is the best. DH tried to poke him and would keep saying how sorry he was Trey would get worked up and try to get away.. Mom would just have to say ok Trey come and get your needle and he would come for me. They know we are only trying to help. Remember if you are stressed so are they. So take a few big deep breaths before you do the test and before you know it You forget how awful it is. I hope this helps Sending Angels,Fairies and prayers to help with tons of healing green light ....Kath and BREATH!!!!!!!

Fairies are suppose to be pets GA

8. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

It's just going to stress her out, and I'm taking a few days off with this, maybe just test before she eats at night for a while. My vet thinks it's best to hold off -- she told me last night, even if she does stay in the "300s" she is not changing anything right now, it's all just too new for Murphy, and for me. It's better for her to be hyper-g than hypo-g. She is eating, drinking, when I took her in for her one-week checkup after the hospital stay, the vet could not believe how her fur looked. First thing, she said "Murphy !!!! Did your momma take you and get you groomed?" She couldn't believe how wonderful she looked. She looks funny tonight, just a little tired, but I have come to the conclusion that I'm a terrific mommy, and Murphy will get the absolute best care I can give her. She always has. With the asthma, it's an additional stress right now trying to test her ear. I got to keep it simple right now. I'm also stressed, because Oscie, my siamese, has a struvite problem, and when the food switch happens, we are in for a real traumatic situation. Because she won't be able to have what he's eating, and he wont' be able to have what she's eating. The asthma is a real hinderance in this whole thing.

I'm absolutely drained from this. So much to worry about, I'm starting to become really emotional about it.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

just be aware hon, that lantus takes a few days to kick in...then it goes boom. sometimes you won't really see anything and 6 or 7 days or even a few weeks you will see big results.

if your not going to test for a few days, please have your hypo kit on the ready. the board has been slow of late. put a 911 on your post if you notice any hypo like behaviors ok.
    karo, high carb gravy food, keep available.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

wait did you mean you were not going to test, or not test and not shoot?
    please don't stop shooting, even at a reduced dose if that would be safer...don't stop now.

11. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

Oh, she's still getting injections, but I am not going to test until this has calmed down some. Tonight b/4 dinner, 335 was her #. I guess since we only increased to 2 units twice per day that it will be an adjustment period, just like everything else, but the ear thing is really making her upset. With the asthma, I just need to wait until she's feeling better with the insulin b/4 I start this up again. I've got the Karo and some gravy, etc. for her, just like with the rescue inhaler, it's all sitting on my countertop.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i think i must have missed that thread,,,or did i see it. was that where you were encouraged to raise in smaller increments

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes, that was where very experienced carolynandlatte said to double the dose from 1u to 2u was potentially dangerous. and especially after only 1 day. you've been on lantus for 3 days now...please consider just using the 1u twice a day if your not testing. does that sound reasonable?

14. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

She was on 1 unit Lantus for about 2 weeks, until last Friday when she was on 1 unit before her glucose curve, not successful, so we increased to 2 units twice per day. She seems to be doing just fine, although I am still unsuccessful at testing at home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.