MURPHY'S 3RD DAY HOME - NOT SO GOOD

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by msmurphy2010, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

Okay, so Murphy's been home since Friday. Today, she was very sleeping, of course, she's 11, so I have to remember that. And, I have to remember that they sleep at least 16 hours per day. She did eat this a.m., all of her wet food, and has drank water throughout the day, but tonight, she didn't want to eat, just a few licks of her wet food, and I then I gave her her asthma treatment, and tried to get her to eat a little more, and she did eat some, but not all. My vet didn't want her to get the insulin this evening because we probably need to lower the dosage. She seemed groggy today, although she was up and active at various times throughout the day and played a little bit with me, but she's never been a jump kitty cat flying through the air with her toys. She has stopped meowing, which I think is strange. Anyone experience this? And, so tonight no insulin. Tomorrow, asthma treatment, eat at the vets, they will give the insulin there, and see how she does throughout the day. My guess is, that 1 unit twice per day may be too much for her. Since she was so ravenous, it is strange to see that her appetite has literally changed overnight.

Any thoughts?

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

My thought is that if you really want to know what is going on with her diabetes, you need to start hometesting. I think Cindy and Mousie said they live near you and said they would be happy to help. Or maybe your vet can take you through the process the first time (as long as he gets blood from the ear, not a vein.)

You really are shooting blind, when you don't know what her bg levels are before the shot, or how low it takes her during the cycle. You can guess and wonder about how she is feeling, but the only way to take control of this thing is to test her levels at home. You can fax your numbers to your vet daily and get advice on dosage.

3. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

well said Sue. I ditto that.

4. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

Well, she ate last night, but my vet told me to not give the insulin, and here we go this a.m, she woke me patting my face with her little white paw, whining for her breakfast treats. I have to hold out this am until I take her in. Amazing that it can happen that quickly overnight that they turn so ravenous. She did finally poopy last night. yeah!!!

So, today's events are, take her in, they'll feed her, they'll test before and after, and then give her the insulin. I did find on bayer's website that they are giving away free contour meters with strips so I'll use that one for her, but inthe meantime, I have my One Touch Ultra.

L

5. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

The One Touch Ultra is an excellent meter. I buy my strips at Hocks and FWIW, the only meter I will use.....have used for years. Buy some strips and start testing and keep kitty at home with you.

6. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

Glad she seems to be feeling better. I know it's really scary to think about home testing, but we've all been there and you can do it! We will help you and Murphy do this.

MJ&Donovan

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    As for humans, testing is the key for regulation/control.

edited to get picture to display

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.