Muscle Wasting and atf/aph

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Leslie & Alley, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leslie & Alley

Leslie & Alley Member

Is there is medicine to help gain muscle back. I heard the ATF or APF (not sure which it is) has been used in cats now. Anyone know of anything to gain back muscle in crf cats?

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't know. This post contains links to CRF information and support groups that might be able to help you out.

3. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

I also have been searching for the answer to this problem. I hope someone has some
    information on this.

4. Leslie & Alley

Leslie & Alley Member

I just found out from thrivingpets.com today....that they are carring APF. It has been used in horses and dogs for muscle waste and they called the company today and found out that it has also been used in cats. I would call and talk to Ian about it at thrivingpet.com. I think I am going to give it a try.

5. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

I ordered an ounce of this today on the suggestion of Stormy Blue's vet as he has lost a lot of muscle tissue in his flank/hip area.
    His doctor said to give him .10ml per day, orally, (he weighs 6.4lbs).

~M

6. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Leslie and Alley. Thank you so very much.
    I'm ordering it tonight.

Everyday i take care of my DS's cat, Tig Tig and just like Stormey Blue he has lost a lot of
    musle tissue in his flank/hip area.

I hope it works for you.
    Thanks, maryjo

7. Mary & Stormy Blue

Rec'd my 1oz bottle from Thrivingpets.com, today. Gave Stormy Blue his minuscule oral dose of .125ml.
    You would have thought that I had squirted battery acid into his mouth by his reaction!
    This stuff brought his slavering and drooling to a whole new level. 1 hour later, the boy is still drooling.
    Methinks it must taste pretty darned nasty to him. I did taste it myself, and honest to goodness, I have
    sampled far fouler tasting meds, (clindimycin comes to mind), but he is still giving me filthy looks and hiding behind the toilet in my bathroom.

~M

8. Seattlebrian

Seattlebrian Member

My cat lost almost all her muscle mass and weight (she was down to 5.5 lbs) when she was put on insulin. I was feeding her a high protein, low fat food. But, come to find out it was also rather high in carbs as well (16%). I know body builders eat lots of protein to put on muscles, so I'm sure it is probably true for cats as well. You might hunt for a high protein food to feed half the day.

9. Mary & Stormy Blue

Stormy Blue is already on a high protein/low-carb diet and has been on one for over a year. He is a diet controlled diabetic. There are often diseases and physical conditions that will cause cats to lose muscle tone. In Stormy Blue's case, he has lost muscle tissue because he does not move around much because his back hurts him, a lot.

~M

10. Leslie & Alley

Leslie & Alley Member

Hi Mary & Stormy,
    Sorry I have not been on for soo long now!! I have had a lot going on. I just read your note...I don't know why I wasn't getting notified of any of these msg's! I found these freeze dried treats that are very stinky and have been putting the APF on those and then mixing it in her food. She loves these treats and they seem to hide the taste and smeel that they don't like of the APF. The treats are by Pure Bites and I get the whitefish....they are freeeze dried and very easy to crumble up.
    I put the medicine of those and then put on the top of her food and then add somemore crumbles on top ..that do not the medicine on them. I haven't had any problem giving the med to her that way. I think 1800 pet meds carries them. I found them at a specialty pet store by my house which is called Pet People.
    Maybe this will help and I am sooo sorry that I never got your msg!! Plus it says to give 2 1/2 ml for every 25lbs. So Alley is 7lbs and I have been giving her ..(on a 1ml dropper)..I am filling it to the 7 point.

11. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Leslie, go back into your Profile and make sure it is marked for you to receive notification of PM messages.

12. Leslie & Alley

Leslie & Alley Member

I did and I just recieved yours!!
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.