Musings on Picking a Vet

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harley Baby & Michele, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

Forgive me for my rambling. I took Serena, non diabetic, to Emergency Clinic last night with a urinary tract infection. I have never been to this clinic before. Once home I started thinking about the visit and my past dealings with numerous other Docs. I have lived in many cities, had many pets, so I have had many interactions.

Last night the Vet looked at me and introduced herself then started petting Serena and "cooing" to her. Yeah, seriously, like a bird. This Doctor was very calm, gentle and explained everything. Good experience.

My regular Vet practice is a group of 6 and it is a walk-in clinic, no appointments. You can ask to see a specific Doc or anyone available. I have seen 3 Docs and all are terrific. One doc stands way out: He also introduced himself with eye contact then promptly started stroking Harley, and whispering sweet words to him.....for at least one minute. WOW! This man loves his job!

On the flip side: My personal Dentist is a putz. I only see him yearly for exam but I adore my Hygienist otherwise I would find someone else. The putz has never introduced himself and says "looks OK" and walks out. I have never seen his face due to lying backwards with a bright light in my eyes.

I had a 100 pound Black Lab/Pitbull that was very sensitive and gentle but yes, he did look like he could rip your jugular with one bite. (Which was handy when walking at night :nailbiting:) My cats adored him and would often snuggle with him. He on the other hand never made eye contact with the cats. His motto was "Don't make eye contact and the cats won't see you!"

I digress......My dog was adopted as a 6 year old. My Vet retired so took him to a new Vet. The tech came behind him and put on a muzzle. OK, I get it. He looked mean and I would certainly have agreed to the muzzle but you could ask me to put it on. Max promptly crawled in the corner, tail between legs. Vet walks in, looks at Max and says: "You need to train that dog". Really? He is terrified you putz! Max had impeccable manners, never pulled and was quite gentle! I was so mad I took Max for 2 MacD's burgers with cheese, no condiments and an ice cream cone. No, he wasn't fat and this was an infrequent treat. :rolleyes: Never went back to that Vet.

His next and final Vet was a beautiful person (she has also retired:(). She came in and Promptly sat on the floor next to Max. He crawled in her lap and they snuggled and whispered sweet nothings to each other. SHE loved her job! I am crying remembering this.

Sooooo…….how does your Vet treat YOU? How does your Vet treat your CAT?

Thank you for allowing me to waste some time. I need to clean the house and I really do not want to!:banghead::banghead:

2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

We completely lucked out with our vet. Her dad was vet, she has a heart of gold, I've known some of the staff since we moved here in 2003.
    When Zoe got pregnant (we were told she was "fixed") and we kept all four kittens she put her hand on my shoulder and quietly said "You did the right thing". That made nine cats and a puppy.
    If she doesn't know something she'll admit it and encourages her clients to research and learn.
    When Nigel my GA was diagnosed she was on the phone AM and PM for the first 10 days advising dosages.
    Most clients never see "the hood", what they slide over a combatant cat's head. Noah's brother Andrew sent a tech to the hospital for an IV bag of broad-spectrum antibiotics. This is what as known as "The Incident" at the clinic and I was one of five people in the room needed to hold Andrew still.
    Of the eight cats and one dog we have lost there was never any talk of pointless care. If we say we think the time has come and the medical files tell the same story then that was it.
    When Nigel died that was four cats in two years, six cats in three years and my mom at Christmas. That broke me. When a vet sends you flowers and a card that you know everyone has put some effort into signing why would you go anywhere else?
    Nigel then and Marco now love riding in the car. I don't get a dirty look when I plop a cat onto the counter, no crate in sight.
    I can tell filthy jokes at the counter.
    Hannah the Border Collie was terrified of thunder. When we had a doctors appointment we could not miss and the weather channel turned red they took her for the day and would not hear of taking money.
    I can tell disgustingly filthy jokes at the counter.
    Our alternate vet who boarded Noah recently was sincerely eager to know what bouncing was. Noah came with a clear set of End of Life instructions that made sense to the vet, no eye-rolling or "I know what's best for your cat". Noah is sleeping in the hallway right now.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Reason for edit: incomplete sentence
    Harley Baby & Michele likes this.
  3. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

Wow Dickson, you are truly Blessed.

I still have not started my house cleaning. Think it is time to take a nap! Here is a photo of My Max. Warn the Cats! Dog in the House!

Scan10_0010_010.jpg

Noah & me (GA) and Squalliesmom like this.
  4. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Max is gorgeous and does not look vicious in the least!

5. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Bad doggy! This is what I mean by nothing to fear.
    It was always a treat bringing this bunch to the vet together.
    hannah&jacob001.JPG hannah&nigel002.JPG hannah&nigel004.JPG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.