My 11 year old cat Archie just diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SarahD, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SarahD

SarahD Member

Hi there,
    My little fur baby of 11 years, Archie, was just diagnosed with diabetes. I brought him in because his hind legs were getting weak and I noticed him slipping a lot and missing jumps. He is a big cat... About 13.5lbs. He was heavier but I had switched him to Presidents Choice wet food about 2 months ago. I'm in Ontario, Canada. I'm supposed to go in Tuesday back to the vet and start insulin and get the special diabetic food. I'm wondering... Do I HAVE to get this crazy expensive food (Royal Canin diabetic) or can I try some other wet food along with the insulin why they are trying to get his proper dose? I knew this would be pricey but I didn't expect as much when I saw an estimate.

2. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Welcome Sarah and Archie to FDMB! You have come to the right place for support. There are a lot of caring and experience folks here. You will be given a whole lot of information and at first, it will seem very overwhelming however in a couple of weeks, things will start falling into place. But first to answer your questions regarding that crazy, expensive food - the answer is no. So, here starts all the information and I am sure you will get some more.

Good Reading: This is a must read. It is an excellent 18 page informative document that covers feline health and nutrition. Don't take short cuts and read it all. www.catinfo.org Also read other postings and their spreadsheets. You will learn a lot more from others.

Home Testing: Here, we all home test. It is mandatory to understand how your kitty is reacting to the insulin and the dose. You will want to test before each shot and some additional test in between the 12 hour cycle. Another reason to home test is to keep your kitty safe. Find a place in your home where you will always perform the test and give lots of hugs before and after testing. There are many videos showing you how to test. Hometesting Links and TipsHere is a picture of where you test on your kitty. http://s106.photobucket.com/user/chupie_2006/media/testingear/sweetspot.jpg.html

Here is another good link on Home Testing:http://www.felinediabetes.com/bg-home-test.htm

Meters: There are many meters. There is a pet meter called the Alpha Trak2 and human meters. Some use the pet meter because it is what the vets use so the numbers will match up. The meter and strips are expensive though. Most use human meters that can be purchased at any pharmacy. It typically reads a little lower than the pet meter but we have ways of compensating those lower numbers. Many use Walmart's brand, Relion Micro or Relion Confirm, because it only needs a tiny drop of blood. They cost around $15 and the strips are around 35 cents each. Since you are in Canada, others from Canada will chime in and help you out where to find the meters and lancets.

Lancets: These are used to poke the ear to get blood. There are many different sizes (gauges). It is recommended when you are first starting out to use a 26-28 gauge. Also, it would be a good idea to pick up Neosporin WITH pain reliever to apply on the edge of the ears and don't forget to alternate ears.

Spreadsheets: Our spreadsheet instructions are here. If you look at the signatures of the members here, you will see a link to their kitty’s spreadsheets. We keep track of all our tests. This is basically a place to collect data and help you to determine patterns, doses, etc. It also aids those that may be helping you to better understand your kitty.

Food: There are many reasons why we are here but one is due to feeding dry cat food which is high in carbs. You will want to consider changing your food to wet, low carb food. It is recommended to feed food that is under 10% carbs. Here is a list of cat food to choose from food chartyou will note that the food with fish are lower in carbs however it is recommended that you only give fish once a week due to its mercury content. Many use Fancy Feast, 9 Lives, Friskies, etc. This list can also be found in www.catinfo.org If you are already giving insulin and you have not transitioned to wet, low carb cat food, be sure to test while you are transitioning. This is because by changing to low carb food, it could decrease your kitty’s number by 100 points or more. One last thing, many of us add water to the wet food so your kitty is getting plenty of water to flush out the toxins and to keep them hydrated. Same as meters, others will give you advice on what to buy in Canada.

Hypo Kit: Always good to be prepared for possible hypo events which means that your cat has reached dangerously low numbers. It can be fatal, hence, the importance of home testing and collecting data in a spreadsheet. In each of the Insulin Forums are stickie’s labeled Hypo Links. Here is one: How to Handle a Hypo. Please print and post on your refrigerator so everyone in your household is aware of hypo symptoms. You will want to create your hypo kit that would include and not limited to; extra testing strips, honey/karo/maple syrup, high carb food, medium carb food, vet information, etc.

Ketones: Diabetic cats are susceptible to diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA). It is best to buy testing strips that will measure (if any) ketones in the urine. One brand is Ketostix which can be found at Walmart or any pharmacy. You will want to test periodically unless you continue to get high numbers, then it is suggested to test more frequently. Ketostix typically costs around $10.

Treats: It is always nice to have treats available for your kitty. Some use it after they have tested to reward. I like using Pure Bites. I have found it at Petsmart and other pet stores. It is freeze dried and the only ingredient is the meat i.e. chicken, duck, etc. If your cat likes it, then I would go to the dog section where it is cheaper than the cat package. It is bigger chunks but no problem in breaking it up. Another option is to use Bonita Flakes. There is a link here somewhere that has a list of low carb treats but I don't have it right now.

Injections: Most folks here use one of these main insulins; Lantus, Levemir and Prozinc. Two hours prior to your insulin shot, you will not want your kitty to eat. Then you will test and then feed. It is best for your kitty to eat a little before your shoot. I shoot while he is eating. The reason why you do not want your kitty to eat two hours prior to your test is because food elevates BG numbers. So you do not want to dose based on a food influenced number. Here is a link on how to give injections.http://www.felinediabetes.com/injections.htm

Note: Please check your insulins as there are some (the harsher ones like Humulin, Novolin, Vetsulin, etc.) that would be best to allow some time after your kitty has eaten before you shoot.

Diabetic Neuropathy: Merlin had this condition and it was really severe. The symptoms are walking on their back hocks. Severe conditions may also include their front feet. Merlin could never go more than a couple of steps before sitting down. We had to put down rugs all over the place so he wouldn't slip on the tile. To help this condition is to regulate the diabetes and to give them methyl B12. Zobaline is the name of one product. If you go with another product, you must make sure that there are no sugars. It is a small pink pill and can be crushed and put in his food. Today, you can’t even tell Merlin had it. He can run, jump and walks on his tippy toes now. Here is a link to Zobaline. http://www.ilifelink.com/zobaline-for_diabetic_cats-3_mg_x_60_tablets.html also you can get Methyl B12 at www.Vitacost.com.

SarahD likes this.
  3. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

The answer is no you do not have to use the RX food as it is expensive and most are too high in carbs for our diabetic cats. Why these vets promote these expensive crappy foods is a whole other story. Check out what Cindi mentioned as far as the food choices many of us use. Since you are in Canada, you might be limited to some of the foods we can get in the states. I am going to tag @MrWorfMen's Mom as she is in Canada and can probably be a good resource for you. Ask away all the questions you need answers to as that is how we all learned here and we are paying if forward. Oh, and Welcome to you and Archie.

SarahD likes this.
  4. SarahD

SarahD Member

Thank you for all of the information! I'm sure I will be asking many questions. Hopefully I will hear back from someone in Canada to know about the Canadian versions/options of what is recommended! Much appreciated :)

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  5. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Sarah and welcome! I can help you with a lot of things Canadian but on the food front I am not the "guru". I have a kibble addicted little girl who after 5 years is still stubbornly refusing to acknowledge anything soft (save for a peanut butter sandwich! ) as real food! :woot::banghead:

Another member, @Brashworks has put together this awesome listing for us. I believe this is still a work in progress but it should help you out and much of the data right now is on Pres Choice varieties which are actually ideal foods for Archie and very cost friendly. Other options I am aware of include any of the pate varieties of Fancy Feast, some Friskies varieties, Wellness Grain Free and Tiki Cat (this is a more expensive brand). There is also Boreal but it should only be used either as an occasional meal or mixed with another variety because it does not have taurine added which is essential for a balanced diet.

As Bobbie said, there is no need to buy the RX foods and they are often/usually higher in carbs than the store bought brands. Some vets even push the dry Rx foods and they are definitely not what you want to be feeding Archie. Unfortunately, our vets are somewhat brain washed by the big Rx food companies because they actually get precious little in the way of training on nutrition. If your vet is really pushing the Rx food, won't relent and you don't want to alienate your vet, you could buy a couple of cans and then return all but one. Tell the vet Archie won't eat the food because most of the Rx foods can be returned for a refund if kitty won't eat them.

You've come to the right place for all the support and tips and tricks you will ever need. Ask any and all questions because everyone here is ready willing and able to help you with all aspects of Archie's care. Where in Ontario are you located?

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome. Waving to you from the west coast. :) A lot of the food options available in the US are also available here in pet food stores. Check out the food list here from the catinfo site mentioned above. You want something under 10% carbs - something in the 3-6% range is a good start. Some cats are more carb sensitive than others. My kitty is on raw food - there are a lot of options available in Canada, some from the food chart and a lot more made here.

If you learn to home test, it is both safer for your kitty, and cheaper as you don't have to pay for curves at the vet. Cats will also often test higher at the vet than at home. I have a non diabetic cat that tested in the diabetic range at the vets office, and a third of that (normal range) at home the next day. Always best to figure out a dose based on what their blood sugar reads at home. There are several suitable blood glucose meters available. You can use the human ones. Bayer Contour and Aviva AccuCheck are popular ones. You can buy test strips on Ebay for cost savings. Try to get one that only needs a small drop of blood - makes it easier. I cross border shop for the Relion that a lot of the US members here use.

If your vet suggests Lantus or Levemir insulins (Prozinc is the other good one) it is available at regular human pharmacies without a prescription. It's more cost effective if you buy the 5 pack of cartridges.

Best of luck at the vet appointment this week. Keep asking questions, we love to help here.

7. SarahD

SarahD Member

Wow...this site is great! I'm right near Burlington, Ontario...in Waterdown. So glad I joined this! I was getting worried about everything but I'm feeling a little more comfortable now. Right now I do have Archie on wet food...I've been using Presidents Choice for the past month. I don't know if I'm feeding him the right amount though...he's 13lbs. It's says 1/2 can per day for an 8lb cat...mine eats almost a whole can. Thought maybe it's ok cause he's bigger? And I do it in 3 meals/day. I have another overweight cat who is like 17lbs. I've been trying to get him to eat wet food but he's picky...luckily Archie doesn't even want the dry food anymore.
    Tomorrow I go to the vet...they had given me an estimate and it said Prozinc insulin on it...so I can actually get that over the counter at the pharmacy?? They also suggested the diabetic royal can in food but can I actually just go in tomorro and say no...I want to figure out his dose using the Presidents choice food?
    As for the monitors...should I just ask my vet tomorrow about one?
    Sorry for the million questions but this one is also bothering me.... This Thursday and Friday I'm supposed to be taking my kids to a waterpark (great wolf lodge) from about 4pm Thursday and come home around 4pm the Friday. If they start Archie on insulin this week can he miss something on Friday? I don't know if I'd trust my neighbour to give him a shot...id only trust to feed him and clean the cats litter box ;)

8. SarahD

SarahD Member

One other thing...Archie has diabetic neuropathy. His hind legs are weak but not terrible yet. He can jump up on the couch, but he's definitely walking lower in the hocks and slips on the hardwood. It was mentioned above about methyl B12. Where do I get this in Canada and how much do I give him? Will the vet help me with that? I wasn't even told about this by the vet...only here.

9. Wendy&Neko

Hello again. Prozinc is an insulin specifically for cats - you'll get that from your vet. It'll be fine if you have to skip a shot. Not ideal, but he's not getting insulin now. We all need to have lives too. For next time, see if you can train a neighbour. Or the vet's office may have someone willing to stop in and give insulin - for a fee. You can always leave a syringe filled with coloured liquid as a sample so they know what it looks like. Some petsitting services will do insulin shots.

Regarding the Presidents Choice, I'm not familiar with them, but I believe the post by MrWorfMen's Mom above has a link to a document listing the carb %. What most important is avoiding carby ingredients. Even within a product line, manufacturers will typically have some food that is OK for carbs, and some that is too high, so you'll have to check the flavours against the list. You want to avoid wheat, rice, corn, potatoes, etc. in the ingredient list. For amounts, what is on the can as a suggested feeding is not always correct. Go by the amount of calories in the cat. The catinfo website above has a page on how many calories to feed.

You can ask you vet what monitor they use, but they may try to sell you the AlphaTrak. It's a good monitor, but expensive and the strips are also more costly than the human meters. At one point my vet asked if I wanted the AlphaTrak, but that was after telling me she uses the OneTouch in her clinic - so no sale! When it's late at night and the vets office is closed and you are almost out of strips, you can dash into a pharmacy to get replacement strips for human meters. Can't do that with the AlphaTrak. But there is some value in reporting numbers the vet is used to. The choice of meter should depend on what works for you.

Zobaline (methyl b12 formulated for cats) is available from Lifelink. The shipping cost is a bit high though. You give one tablet a day.

MrWorfMen's Mom and SarahD like this.
  10. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Above is some info on Diabetic Neuropathy. Even though Merlin does not have this condition anymore, I still give it to him. My last bottle was from Vita Cost and it is in plastic capsule form. I just break it open and give 1/2 in am and 1/2 in pm. Here it the link: http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-vitamin-b-12-methylcobalamin-500-mcg-300-capsules

SarahD likes this.
  11. Bobbie And Bubba

Hey there, you can get the proZinc from the vet but keep in mind there will be a mark up. In the states, we can get it mail order from different sites with a RX from the vet. Also Costco Pharmacy has it must cheaper than the vet so, if one is near you, stop into the Pharmacy and see what they charge and you can compare it against the quote you got from your vet. You do not need to be a member to use the Costco Pharmacy, you just tell the guard at the door that is where you are going. Perhaps, someone will weigh in and give you some mail order sites as well. My vet matches the lowest price I find which is nice.

SarahD likes this.
  12. SarahD

SarahD Member

Thank you so much!
    Ah...I was literally just at Costco. Wish I would have asked :)
    The vet told me Prozinc is about $11o for 10ml I believe and should last about 3 months. She also said we can start insulin next week...phew!

13. Bobbie And Bubba

That's about what I pay from my vet. I have seen other list mail order places for about 99 but, with the price being so close to the vet's, I just get it from there. Costco could be a bigger savings I was told, however, one person here said their Costco Pharmacy doesn't carry it but they can differ from Costco to Costco. I needed my 2nd bottle ASAP so went with the vet's as they are closer.

14. MrWorfMen's Mom

I don't think ProZinc is available over the counter in Canada but you can order it from a pet pharmacy with a vet Rx. The one I deal with (Glen Shields Pet Pharmacy) has it priced at $68.91 for the 10ml vial plus tax (13%) and a $4.99 dispensing fee. They will order it in for you but it doesn't show up on their online product list. They will deliver but I'm not sure what the charge for that would be. Think it depends on the product (insulin being a little more due to refrigeration requirement) and location.

@Wendy&Neko I didn't think we could get the Zobaline here. Did you order from Lifelink yourself lately? Is Lifelink sending it from Canada or the US? There is no address for them on their website which would make me a bit wary. It's my understanding that getting supplements such as this across the border can be problematic if it's being shipped from the US so just wondering if you've actually used them. I checked with my pet pharmacy and they have never heard of it . @Brashworks managed to find some ingredients and put her own capsules together. I've tagged her so hopefully she can provide another alternative to check into to help with the weakness in Archie's legs.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  15. Wendy&Neko

@MrWorfMen's Mom - Yes, I have ordered directly from Zobaline but they tag on an "international shipping" fee of $15, so it pays to order multiple at once. They mail to Canada. They are in Grover Beach, CA - check out the "About Us" link on their website to find the address. I've had no problem ordering supplements from the US. I've gotten Durlactin and Cosequin from EntirelyPets and a probiotic from iHerb, both also in California.

16. MrWorfMen's Mom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.