My 12 year old female cat new diabetic

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mshaas75, Jul 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mshaas75

Mshaas75 Member

Hi Paris my 12 year old cat now has diabetes. They put her on vetsulin. Is any one else on that? I gave her the first shot today and I have been a nervous wreck. Checking on her every few minutes. I am afraid something bad could happen but it's only 1 unit. I bought the glucose monitor today from Walmart that I read a lot of people here use. I haven't actually used it yet but working on the courage to try in the next hour just to see where she is at. I use a mobile vet because she doesn't like to leave the house. Her sugar was over 490 yesterday. She has been on wet diabetic food for 30 days which has not helped much which is why we started insulin today

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi, welcome to you and Paris. I was terrified when I gave my first insulin shot, but if you start home testing, that fear will slowly subside because you will know exactly how your cat reacts to the insulin and if you ever have to intervene to prevent a hypo. It's very easy to learn and we'll be glad to help you. Here's some info to get you started http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/
    If you have any questions, ask on the Health Forum.

3. Mshaas75

Mshaas75 Member

Ok I did it 284 3 hours after insulin dose I feel better now. In the morning I will start testing before I give insulin. I have been doing lots of reading so I know if under 200 no insulin. I bought corn syrup today with all the other supplies. I worry that in the morning I have to give the shot and leave for work.

4. Sharon14

Congratulations on your first test! Keep reading and asking questions, that's the best way to help Paris.

5. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

I was told by my vet to test, feed and then give the injection 1/2 hour later. Vetsulin hits really fast and it's better if the food has a chance to start working before the shot.

Sharon14 likes this.
  6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

7. Alexi

Alexi Member

Vetsulin is normally given 30 minutes after feeding, My routine is test, feed, while she is feeding draw up the insulin and leave it on the counter, then shoot, cold insulin can sting and leaving it out helps take the chill off. It also means I'm not distracted when drawing up. 1 unit is fine for a starting dose of vetsulin, make sure you do pre-shot/pre-food tests and if you get an odd number post on the health forum for advice. Don't be tempted to change the dose too quickly, once she has been on it for a week you can try doing a curve which gives you an idea how she is responding to it. The lowest point is usually 4-6 hours post dose so if you are worried check then. I had the same worries about going out to work when I first started but she was fine. How much does your kitty weigh and has she ever had ketones? I test the urine periodically with keto-diastix so when you get supplies pick up some urine testing strips as well.

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.

When you have a moment, could you add a few tidbits to your signature? It will help us give you feedback.

Editing your Signature

In the upper right corner of the screen, within the dark blue bar, you will see ID, Inbox, and Alerts

Click on your ID.

On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature.
    This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback. You are limited to 2 hard returns, so separate pieces by | or -.
    This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
    Add any other text, such as your name | cat's name | date of Dx (diagnosis) | insulin | meter general location (city and state/province) any other pertinent issues like if there are any food issues, history of DKA, hepatic lipidosis, pancreatitis, allergies, IBD, etc.

Click the Save Changes button at the bottom.

9. Mshaas75

Mshaas75 Member

Ok. I have a lot of reading to do to figure out how the spreadsheet works I looked at it briefly today but got overwhelmed and will try again tomorrow. I am still trying to figure out all the stuff in this forum and what everything means

10. Sharon14

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.