GA My baby Oliver and I need your help!!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BrittanyC, Nov 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you for keeping everyone here informed. I hope Oliver comes home soon.

2. BrittanyC

BrittanyC Member

Your welcome and I hope he comes home soon.

3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

No worries. I presume you got a human meter? There are pet meters but they are expensive to use and not necessary. On a human meter the normal range is between 50 and 120. Today Oliver was within a normal BG range but I guess the question is whether the vet has given him any insulin. If he hasn't had any more insulin, that 112 is an excellent number for a cat in hospital which usually causes elevated BG levels.

4. BrittanyC

BrittanyC Member

Well we will in to all of that once my baby boy comes home.

5. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I'm so glad to hear that Oliver is doing well at the vet's! Here's hoping he can come home soon!

I have some serious health issues and spend a lot of time seeing doctors, at hospitals, and having medical tests done; I always tell everyone I have to schedule my appointments around my diabetic cat and they all look at me like I have three heads, lol. I know most of them don't even begin to understand the relationship I have with my cats but, yes, they are like my children (and I DO have kids, they swear I love the cats more than them, lol).

6. BrittanyC

BrittanyC Member

Haha I use to say that about my mom but now I understand. She has the fancy feast cat. She named her K.C. because she is from kansas city but everyone calls her BP short for baby precious. I put a picture of her she is beautiful and unique she has no top teeth we never noticed until one random day she yawned in my face. I have always been like a super animal person and some people just don't get it.

Attached Files:

7. Squalliesmom

She's a beautiful cat! You're right, some people just don't get it.

8. Ann and Murphy and Tom

Ann and Murphy and Tom Member

Hi! I just got in from a horrendous shift at work but wanted to see how Oliver is doing before I crash. I'm so happy to learn he is better. I too am a " helicopter mom" when one of my furbabies isn't well ...and I sort of plan my life around theirs. Do keep posting and let us know how you and Oliver are doing....

9. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes! People after my own heart! I definitely gravitate more toward animals than people generally and I find people who don't like them to be somewhat "suspect". I have infinite patience for my critters but not so much for people. :)

I'm so glad that Oliver is doing better, Brittany. Keep us updated. BTW - your mom's kitty is a beauty.

10. whiskeysmom

whiskeysmom Member

Holy freaking cow!!! I am not a vet, but that seems like WAY too much insulin for that BG level..from what I understand that's barely diabetic.

My cat was at 500 at the vet's and she only put him on ONE unit twice daily!!!

11. whiskeysmom

whiskeysmom Member

Also, keep in mind, stress can raise a cat's BG level. Going to the vet is very stressful for them.

12. whiskeysmom

whiskeysmom Member

What cuties!!! Good for you for checking them all! Just checking my one cat is stressful :p

13. Kathy1980

Kathy1980 Member

Hi. I'm kind of late but my Jackie was recently diagnosed with pancreatitis. After finding him hiding in the basement depressed with some soft stool nearby, I promptly took him to the vet. He had diabetes earlier this year. With insulin and low carb canned food he was under control and OFJ. Then I went away to Europe for 10 days and just had my dad feed him the Hills M/D (which I had) for convienience, not sure if it was the cause. At the vets he had a high fever of 104 F. He gave him pain meds, anti-biotics and fluids. At home, he was a little better but then the vomiting started and he was straining to defecate and only mucus came out. Back to the vet. This time he did blood work, X-rays, fecal and feline leukemia test (negative). Xrays showed his intestines were "bunched" and recommended an ultrasound the next day. It took an ultrasound to find out his pancreas was very enlarged, and this is a life-threatening condition. When it happens it basically means that the cat's digestive enzymes are leaking out breaking down the internal organs, and also controls insulin. His BG was high during the time at 10 (Canadian). He has been at the vet overnight getting fluids and anti-biotics by IV since he was not holding anything down. Next I have to convince him to eat but I think it will be OK.

14. BrittanyC

BrittanyC Member

Well we went and saw Ollie today and billy (my vet) was not there but the girls that work for him were and they brought him out and he was scared and started meowing and then I held him and he stopped. I put him down to see if he was strong enough to walk and he was walking fine rubbing up on stuff and then he just started the throw up again... the girls told me he still hasn't ate anything. I don't know anything else because billy wasn't there. I called later on and he told us to come by tomorrow so he could check him over to see if he is going to pull through all this.

15. BrittanyC

BrittanyC Member

I meant he hasn't ate or drank on his own yet but she did feed him baby food this morning.

16. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Hey Brittany...Oliver is a fighter and it's a good sign he was rubbing on things. If he hadn't thrown up til then it might be associated with being excited to see you. When a kitty hasn't eaten in a while it takes time to get them back on track . That he could walk, was rubbing and got quiet when u held him r all very good signs. Praying continued healing for Oliver and peace for you and that this will soon be over and he will be home . Hugs to you and all of yours !

17. BrittanyC

BrittanyC Member

Thank you beth

18. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

I also like animals better than many people. Animals don't tell lies. When our Doxie, Joey has an accident, the guilt is written all over his face. They do get sneaky. Especially the 4 cats. They get together and figure out how to gang up on us without ever a guilty look on their sweet innocent faces. They just blame the dogs for the cookie that disappears from the kitchen counter. They had it all planned in advanced. Trixy, the youngest, jumps up on top of the counter or refrigerator and drops it down to the others. Calli is the expert of prying the top off containers, while her twin patches rips bags open. The oldest, Gizmo cheers them on while telling them to hurry up and save him some. They never have a guilt look, but sometimes I hear the sound of little voices giggling.

DebG, Sharon14, Kris & Teasel and 5 others like this.
  19. BrittanyC

BrittanyC Member

Animals are so funny. I believe they know that we know too haha.

20. Squalliesmom

I love your description, lol! And I love the pic of Callie, she's a real cutie. :):):)

21. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Thanks for the morning giggle. Your description of the dastardly deed is priceless!! :D

22. MrWorfMen's Mom

It's certainly a positive sign that Olly was walking alright and rubbing on things but the vet needs to figure out why he is vomiting. Did the vet run a test for pancreatitis? There is a quick in office test that can be run called Snap fPL. Pancreatitis would account for the fever, dehydration, loss of appetite and vomiting. If the vet is only giving Olly something for nausea, perhaps an appetite stimulant could be added to help get him eating on his own. Have you tried to hand feed him his regular favourite food? Maybe he would try eating if you feed him as I'm sure he is finding it stressful being at the vet and that can also effect appetite.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  23. BrittanyC

BrittanyC Member

Well we got the call this morning that my baby Oliver went to heaven. Thank Yall so much for the help.

24. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Oh, Brittany, I'm so sorry.

25. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

So ,so sad and sorry. Will be holding u all in my thoughts and prayers .

26. BrittanyC

BrittanyC Member

Thank yall

27. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I am so sorry, Brittany. You did everything you could.
    He knows how much you love him, and he will wait for you at The Bridge.
    (((((Big Hugs))))))

28. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

So, so sad. I'm sorry for your loss.

29. BrittanyC

BrittanyC Member

Thank yall I know he isn't hurting anymore.

30. Squalliesmom

Oh Brittany, I am so, so sorry. My heart is breaking for you.

download (1).jpeg

Fly free, sweet Oliver, and land softly cat_wings>o

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  31. BrittanyC

BrittanyC Member

Thank you. We went to play with kittens to get our mind off of it. Sadly it was only a temporary fix.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  32. BrittanyC

BrittanyC Member

Thank you

33. Squalliesmom

Oliver will always have a special place in your heart. You fought hard for him and he knows how much you loved him. Someday you will see each other again at the Rainbow Bridge. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

34. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

(((((Brittany)))))
    I'm so sorry for your loss.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

cat_wings>o
    Fly free little Oliver... you will be missed.

35. BrittanyC

BrittanyC Member

I know I just miss him so much

36. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

Sorry for your loss. RIP Oliver :(

37. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

RIP Oliver :rb_icon:

I am so so sorry to hear that Oliver has crossed the bridge. You both fought so hard for more quality time.

Sending many prayers and hugs for you at this sad time.

[​IMG]

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

38. BrittanyC

BrittanyC Member

Thank yall

39. Kathy1980

Kathy1980 Member

Sorry to hear! :bighug:

40. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

Oh, I am so sorry. We all know how well you cared for him and how much you loved him. He will never be truly gone as long as you keep him in your heart.

41. MrWorfMen's Mom

Oh Brittany! I am so very sorry to hear Oliver has gone to the bridge. You did all you could and he was a very lucky boy to have such a devoted Mom.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

10392518_786105451446599_7563718694987665196_n.jpg

Rest in peace dear Oliver! cat_wings>o

42. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Brittany, I'm SO SO sorry it was Ollie's time to cross....you tried SO hard, he knows that. Remember, he's not 'gone', you just have to hug him differently.

Soar high on your new angel wings sweet boy...landing softly back in Mama's broken heart.

BIG HUGE LOOOOOOOOOOONG Brittany and prayers for comfort....

43. BrittanyC

BrittanyC Member

Thank yall so much it's going to take a few day and maybe a glass or two of wine to get over him being gone. I'm just glad he is free of pain.

44. Ann and Murphy and Tom

Ann and Murphy and Tom Member

Oh, Brittany...I'm so sorry. Keep his memories close in your heart and love on your other 2 kitties as much as you can...they will know something is wrong too.

45. Alexi

Alexi Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: so sorry.

46. SweetAngel

SweetAngel Member

so very sorry, sending hugs x

47. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

I'm so very sorry... sometimes there is just nothing more we can do because it's their "time". Sending you hugs and wishes of comfort in your wonderful memories of Oliver.

48. AZJenks

AZJenks Well-Known Member

I wish you could've had more time together. Fly free sweet Oliver. Make sure to send a sign that you're watching ove ryour people from the Bridge. :rb_icon:

49. BrittanyC

BrittanyC Member

Thank yall

50. Marlena

Marlena Well-Known Member

So sorry Brittany, sending lots of hugs.

51. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for you loss.... RIP Ollie....fly free and land softly.....:rb_icon:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.