My Bet, newly diagnosed. I am freaking out.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathleen Einwich, Nov 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathleen Einwich

Kathleen Einwich Member

My 14-year-old cat, Bet, began losing weight over the last month and then in the last week began refusing to use his own catbox, just peeing everywhere. He still eats but was drinking excessively. I also noticed a possibility that he could not see well. I am in an area where I don't know or trust the vets (the ones I knew passed away) and made 3 appointments (cancelling two) before settling on one vet in the state of Louisiana. Years ago I had many great experiences with vets from Louisiana State University, who I met through cat show people.

Yes, expensive diagnosis! And what a run-around! Though the first vet diagnosed diabetes with the first test ($145), he sent me to an emergency vet in a city 40 miles away because he said it would be necessary to monitor my cat's first 24 hours on insulin to check for reactions. He didn't have the time, he had a previous engagement. To cut to the chase, $435 later, those vets said monitoring would not be needed and sent me home with a prescription for Lantus, 1 unit injections twice per day and instructions to see the other vet towards the end of next week. No instructions on how or where to give the injection (I called them back to ask and they were shocked). No ketones or other damage, and it appears we caught it early, they said. No real instructions on food etc. Unfortunate this happened right before a weekend or I might have gotten more instructions.

I don't mean to complain about the costs - my cat Bet is the best cat I've ever had in my life and I will do what's necessary to bring him back to health. But I'm on a pension...right now my sisters are helping with the costs (ha, after they yelled at me).

No one has told me anything about what to expect in the future but I am seeing some reaction in Bet from the insulin. He is walking better, not drinking so much or having accidents, as far as I can tell. He isn't staring into space. It's hard to inject him through his short but thick fur and I worry that I really get it in... But after his first shot at 715pm last night, he was washing himself after 90 minutes (wow!) and about 330am Saturday morning he came upstairs to my bed and poked me in the face with his paw, as he does...

I have learned a lot just reading the forums here. I am terrified of all of this and especially the prospect of using a blood meter with my cat (watched your videos). He's handling the shots fairly well - 3 so far with no complaint - but I wonder about the lancets on his ear for the meter several times per day. I'm also confused about what foods I will be expected to feed him in the future. I heard that at one of the vets that "high fiber" foods are what are fed, but read elsewhere that high protein and fat foods are the current thing. Bet's eaten specialty mail order high protein dry dog food all of his life (they didn't make cat food), supplemented by a half can of 9-Lives chicken to add taurine. I'd like to know what people with experience use for this condition.

I also need advice on what I could possibly feed my cat as a treat or something....they told me he needs to have something in his stomach before his shot, something for the insulin to work on. Bet has never been a cat to like treats, has never been overweight and is very fussy about his food in general. Doesn't like fish.

Anything you folks could do to direct and/or help me with all of this I would greatly appreciate. This is a terrible thing for me to go through. This cat has been through everything with me, even Hurricane Katrina and six weeks on the road afterwards. Thanks a lot.
    Kathy

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Kathy and Bet. I know (and remember very well) how overwhelming and a bit frightening the diabetes diagnosis is, but you have found the right place for information and help.
    Yes, you will need to learn to get a drop of blood from Bet's ear for testing. We have videos, tips and lots of support on how to do this. We have all learned, and it's the best tool you have to keep Bet safe and see how the insulin is working. We can suggest treats that Bet just might be crazy about.
    We will help you find the proper diet for Bet. A low carbohydrate wet food is recommended, and you can find brands that are good right at the supermarket. It's very important to be testing however, because changing the diet can significantly lower the BG (blood glucose) and you don't want to have a hypoglycemic event (blood glucose too low). I am a senior also, fixed income, so I know where you are coming from. The members here can help with finding ways to cut costs and still help Bet get better.
    I suggest you post in the Health (Main) Forum. If you like, you can copy your message here (or edit it as you like), start a new thread in the Main forum and paste the message. Perhaps state that you are new and need help in the title to get attention.
    This Introduction forum is more of a welcome mat and I would like more members to see your questions and give you some answers. Just click on this link to the Main forum---> MAIN
    You can do this and we will help you.
    Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible. Saint Francis of Assisi

3. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Hi there and welcome Kathy.
    You've come to the right place.

Idjit's mom has given you great guidelines so I'll just wave from afar and see you in the main forum

@Kathleen Einwich

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I promise you the ear testing is no big deal unless your cat doesn't like to be handled. Once your get the hang of it it literally takes about 30 seconds to do each time. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

Kathleen Einwich likes this.
  5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome Kathy and Bet! Testing is really easy once you get the hang of it. It’s really the best way to see how well the insulin is working and keep Bet safe. Please do come to the Main health forum where we can better help you.

Kathleen Einwich likes this.
  6. Kathleen Einwich

Kathleen Einwich Member

Thank you all so much. I learned so much here on the website and from you folks than I have at any of the vets so far. I really appreciate it...I am totally in the dark and was unaware testing was going to be necessary at all. Over to the Health Forum.

Sharon14 and Idjit's mom like this.
  7. Kathleen Einwich

Kathleen Einwich Member

What a wonderful video! Thank you so much for sharing with me. And now I don't feel so bad about not starting the testing immediately but so many good tips! Pulls me off the ceiling a bit.
    Kathy

8. JanetNJ

I was so nervous to start testing that I put it off for six weeks. It wasn't until my vet wanted me to raise the dose and I got nervous she would hypo that I started testing. It's really the best way of keeping them safe.

9. JanetNJ

Just remember to aim for the sweet spot and use a 28 guage lancet. 0EB1ED3B-8944-4523-8EAC-50AC053204F6.jpeg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.