My boy just diagnosed, I'm confused, devastated

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jainarayan, Jul 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jainarayan

Jainarayan Member

I was wondering how she's planning on dosing. I may have a glucose meter (or three) and strips around the house. My late m-i-l was diabetic, so I know how to use it. If I don't have one I'll get one at the pharmacy.

Olive & Paula and AlphaCat like this.
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It's fine to use one if you have one, but check into how much the strips for it are.....that's where the real costs come in

It's better to spend a few bucks on a new meter that has affordable strips if the ones you'll need for the meters you have are outrageous

Jainarayan likes this.
  3. Jainarayan

Jainarayan Member

You're right... we had so many coming from different suppliers, but she had Medicare. I kmow they're quite $$$. I think Walmart and/or Walgreen's has some reasonable units and strips. I think Reli-On or something like that is the name.

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Relion is Wal-Mart brand. The Confirm or Micro model are good ones to use and they take the smallest drop of blood. Most here use them.

Jainarayan and AlphaCat like this.
  5. Jainarayan

Jainarayan Member

I'm not sure if this is going to display or play properly. I'm kind of a doofus at technology.

6. Jainarayan

Jainarayan Member

Is this the unit I want?

4503BDEA-02F8-4DC3-8D26-2F1605D80B7F-2596-0000036992DBE17E.jpeg

I don't think testing him or giving him his shot will be a problem at all. He sits patiently while I practice the skin pinch and handling his ears. Then he gets fluffs and cuddles. I want to make this as non-traumatizing as possible (for both of us).

One more question (uh huh, riiiight :( )... are Greenies treats no longer an option. He loved his "fishies" but I did not get any more not knowing if they're too carby.

B93FC707-F100-45E5-9588-5DC31A049835-2596-0000036B40DAC076.jpeg

7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You want a ReliOn Micro or Confirm because they take a very tiny drop. The one pictured is a disposable meter and I don't know anything about it.

The best treats to use are either freeze dried meat treats (eg Pure Bites brand, Orijen brand) or you can bake/poach/boil plain chicken breast and chop it into tiny pieces that you freeze and take out as needed.

Jainarayan likes this.
  8. Jainarayan

Jainarayan Member

I have an appt. with the vet. on Fri. to start Christian on insulin. I don't know what brand it will be. I told the doctor I have given injections before. I've been practicing the skin pinch and playing with his ears. He's been good about it. I told her I'm confident I can do it.

I got negligible ketones on the Ketostix. The doctor was glad to hear that. But I'm getting concerned because he's not eating as much as he was last week (or as much as I think he should), and he seems to be losing weight. I will have to get on the scale with him. Otherwise he's acting normally.

He used the litter box today, first time since last week. It was a good size clump of pee. I'm going through wee-wee pads daily. He likes the one spot in the bathroom. I hope it's a good sign he used the litter box. All this uncertainty, wondering, waiting, worrying and what-not has me on edge and snapping over things.

9. Kris & Teasel

You'll feel a lot better once you get his insulin treatment under way. Let us know what insulin is being prescribed and what the starting dose will be.

Yong & Maury GA and Jainarayan like this.
  10. Jainarayan

Jainarayan Member

I'm sure you're right. Thanks. I'll definitely run it by the group. :)

11. Jainarayan

Jainarayan Member

I saw the vet this afternoon. She started him on Lantus. He wasn't eating for the past 2 days, just licking a bit of his food. His ketones went up to the low end of large since Wed. when they were negligible.

The vet sent me home with Lactated Ringers Solution sub-q. Given how Capt. Cranky is, it's going to be almost impossible to hold him still for the 5 mins. or so to give him the dose. I'll try nevertheless.

He ate a good amount of Purina DM and Hill's MD tonight. That's the first decent amount he ate in 2 days. He's not going to stay on that, I'll transition him back to FF. He liked FF in the beginning. The doctor said he can even eat some dry he likes, just for now. She just wants him to eat.

So I gave him his first shot, 2 units. I'm pretty sure I did it right but I'm paranoid. Before I give him his shot tomorrow morning the vet wants me to call her to talk about his bg, ketones, appetite, behavior, etc.

I keep watching him. I know I'm going to worry myself sick but I'm so afraid this is too late, or that I'll make him worse and lose him. I'm so stupid for not seeing this coming on and not acting sooner. :(

TempestsMum likes this.
  12. Olive & Paula

Breathe. So glad insulin was started. You need to keep testing those ketones. Those fluids are so important to flush them out. And yes he needs to keep eating.

High ketones is very very serious and kitty can become critical in minutes. Keep posting, people will help.

Jainarayan likes this.
  13. Jainarayan

Jainarayan Member

I think the doctor or the vet tech (can't remember which) said I should see improvement within a day or so. I hope I heard right. If he doesn't improve I'll have to consider hospitalizing him. The doctor suggested it but is reluctant because he gets so stressed, and the cost, about $3,000.

14. Jainarayan

Jainarayan Member

I'd just like to thank everyone for their advice, support, and encouragement, but it's time I take my leave.

Christian passed away today. He deteriorated rapidly overnight. I called the vet this morning when I saw he could barely get up and walk, not to mention not eating or drinking.

When she saw how bad he looked she said she didn't even think hospitalizing him or the fluids would help. She said the decision was mine. So, right or wrong I called it. I couldn't stand to see him like that.

He deserved better than me and I hope he forgives me for letting him down.

15. vbc2000

vbc2000 Member

I'm so sorry. You did a great job loving and caring for him. Every cat should be that lucky. My thoughts and prayers are with you. You did 5he right think by Christian even at the end.cat_wings>o

Jainarayan likes this.
  16. Jainarayan

Jainarayan Member

Thank you, I appreciate it.

17. Olive & Paula

18. Kris & Teasel

I'm so sorry you lost your kitty. :rb_icon:cat_wings>o

Jainarayan likes this.
  19. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Very sorry to hear. May fond memories of your beloved, Christian, warm your heart always cat_wings>o

Jainarayan likes this.
  20. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Oh no! I just checked in to see how things were going. :( I'm sooooo sorry! Fly free little one cat_wings>o

Jainarayan likes this.
  21. Jainarayan

Jainarayan Member

Thank you all. I've spent the weekend crying, and I'm not done. :( I hope he wasn't in pain. He was awake and following me around as best he could. He loved going in the bathtub when it was wet. He tried to climb in but couldn't. I picked him up and put him in so he could at least do something he liked.

When I said "take my leave" I meant it as I doubt I'll have anything to contribute, even though I may read and learn some things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.