? My boy lost 3 pounds in two months..

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ivana R, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ivana R

Ivana R Member

Hi all,

We've been on prozinc for about 2 months. His dosage has been changing from 2 units 2x a day to .5 when he dropped to 60 bg and now it's back up to 2 units 2x a day. Some days his read is near 200 but lately his average is about 350.

He eats approximately 3x a day but he is really hungry every time I feed him and he's lost 3 pounds. I know part of the reason is because I took the dry food away, but is the rest normal? For him to have lost 3 pounds and be hungry constantly?

Is there also a reason we were so close to remission and all of a sudden his numbers are high again?

Thoughts, advice is appreciated

Thanks

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

What would be Geppetto's optimal weight?

He may be hungry because he isn't regulated yet. If He is hungry and losing weight that he doesn't need to lose you may need to feed him more until his is regulated into some better numbers.

A general calc you can use to see if he is getting close to the calories he should be intaking is - ideal weight in lbs x 13.5 + 70

So 17x13.5=229.5 + 70 = 299.5 calories a day.

3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

You may need to start feeding more. Part of it may be the adjustment of not being able to free feed on the dry. it also may be that the glucose levels are really not under control right now. If that's the case your cat's body is not able to process food properly and that is why he is so hungry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.