My cat and I are new.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ratbrat, Feb 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratbrat

ratbrat New Member

Hello, my name is Amy, and my cats name is Anya. I took her to my vet for a uti infection, and they did blood work on her, and they checked her urine. Her BG came back at 418 ,and she had glucose in her urine. We started her on clavamox for her uti and now I am trying to get this figured out as cheaply as I can. My husband and I are on fixed income . My daughter and son-in law gave me a glucose meter, the strips for it ,and some lansettes. She ate both canned and dry ,but I now have her on canned only sense last Saturday. My vet has called in a rx for Lantus and some syringes ,so she hasn't started her insulin yet. My daughter took her glucose this morning and it is 225. The vet wants to start her on 1 unit every 12 hours. I will be picking her perscription up on Thursday, maybe tomorrow if the syringes come in as walmart was out of the size we needed. Is this all look ok? Anya is going to be 11 in April. Edit to add her vet appointment was last Thursday, so it has been 5 days. I picked up her clavamox on Saturday, so she has been on that 4 days.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

225 is not terribly high for a cat not in insulin yet.
    So glad you are testing! Well done!

Cheapest way to get lantus is through Marks Marine pharmacy in Canada.... They will ship to the US. You can get 5 3unit pens for about $169. That will last you about a year.

Not sure how much your vet is charging for syringes, but you can probably get them cheaper at Walmart out Adwdiabetes.com

ratbrat likes this.
  3. ratbrat

ratbrat New Member

Thank-you Janet! I am getting 1-3 unit pen for 101.73 and the syringes are from Walmart for 12.99 for 100. Wow that be a really good saving to get 5 pens for 169!! Would they expire by the time I used them though?

4. JanetNJ

No.... Because they are only 3 ml... You have several months once it's punctured... And an unopened vial doesn't expire for a long time. Just keep everything in the fridge.
    https://rxcanada4less.com/

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  5. ratbrat

ratbrat New Member

Ok now I'm confused! My vet said 1 pen would last me 6 months, I never even questioned it! But that would mean I am only getting 3 injections from 1 pen?

6. ratbrat

ratbrat New Member

Ok no, I'm wrong! The pens are 100 units per pen, correct?

7. JanetNJ

My bad I meant 3 ml. Which means 300 units per pen. Each ml is 100 units.

8. ratbrat

ratbrat New Member

Ok thanks! All this is hard to get straight for me! I appreciate your explanation! I'm definitely going to order from Marks next time!!

9. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB Amy and Anya. I'm so glad you found the board and can read through the wealth of information here that will help you understand feline diabetes and treatment. I sure understand being confused and a bit disoriented with all the new information coming at you right now.
    Please take some time to visit the FAQs forum HERE to begin understanding more aspects of FD and treatment. It's super that you are already testing, congratulations! It's the best tool you have to help keep Anya safe and see how the diet change and insulin are affecting her blood sugar levels.
    Please create your signature, HERE for instructions so that Anya's information is available with your posts, and set up the spreadsheet HERE for instructions that will be linked to the signature, so that you can enter the testing and insulin shot data to track the trends and patterns. That way advising members will have access to the information to better help you.
    You are already taking steps to help Anya to feeling better and to better health. We can help further with suggestions for low carb and relatively inexpensive canned food, testing supplies, insulin and syringes (as JanetNJ has already helped with). So, deep breaths, you are doing so very well in these first days!
    You can post further questions and concerns in the Main Health forum HERE as this Introduction forum is more like a welcome mat and more members monitor the Main forum to be available to help.
    Best wishes going forward! :cat:

10. ratbrat

ratbrat New Member

Thank-you idjets mom! I will get all those things done thanks!! It may take me a minute, but I'll get it done!:) I have been reading through everything in the last few days so I could help Anya, and it has been so very helpful to me, I'm so glad it is avaliable so people can help their kitty's. I looked through Dr. Lisa's canned cat food list for low carb choices, so helpful! Hopefully I can help her stay healthy and have a long and happy life!

JanetNJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.