my cat ate some part of a lilly flower, it's all done!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PeterDevonMocha, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Oh man I am FREAKING OUT .. peter brought me home some flowers yesterday, roses and lillies. I had them up on top of the fridge this morning and when I went into the kitchen twix was up on the fridge .. she got down quickly but I KNOW she had the lillies in her mouth at one point because I found a petal on the counter next to the fridge. I googled it and of course lillies are very poisonous to cats and can cause a lot of problems. I have a call into the vet right now and she will be calling me back but I am beyond scared here!!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Re: my cat ate some part of a lilly flower, please help!

You did what I would do. However, I am surprised that you did not get some answer when you were on the phone. I think I would be on my way to the vet now. Since usually you induce vomiting but I do not know how to really do that with cats.

3. OLM Catnip Cottage

OLM Catnip Cottage Well-Known Member

FWIW, I agree. I would simply call my vet, tell them there is an emergency and what it is and that I am on my way in with the cat.

4. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

I know you can use 3% hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting in cats, but I'm not sure I would try it at home without a vet's supervision. So I'm with Maureen and Larry..into a carrier and off to the vets.

Mel, Max & The Fur Gang.

5. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Poor Twix. Please let us know the update!!! I'd be freaking out too. I'm so sorry.

6. PeterDevonMocha

Re: my cat ate some part of a lilly flower, update

ok everyone ... here is the update .. after waiting for the vet to call me back, within five minutes I had read enough info on how dangerous these flowers are that I had twix packed up in her carrier and heading out the door with my SIL when the vet called and told me to get her in .. We were up at the vets in ten minutes and they took her back into a room and I wasn't sure what was going on .... after a good wait the vet came out and told me that she would not vomit for them, so they had to use charcoal? to absorb what was in her system. They also had her hooked up to fluids and ran some bloodwork. After an hour the vet came out and told me the bloodwork showed that everything was ok, for now, but she has to stay there all day on fluids and then tomorrow I am supposed to take her back for another round of bloodwork.

I was beyond scared and crying and feeling like the WORST mom ever .. I asked the vet if this is something that can come on after awhile, like in weeks or months but she didn't seem to have an answer .. is this something I should have done on bloodwork every few weeks?

7. MommaOfMuse

((((((big hugs))) You are not a bad mommy, kids will be kids furry or not and they can and will get into things they aren't suppose to. Just from now on you know lillies are a no no, roses however are fine, and apparently very tasty. So just tell Peter from now on roses only =)

Sorry I don't know the answer on the bloodwork, but I would think if it is a form of poison then once it is through her system it would be over and done with. Just don't know.

Poor Twix, she just wanted to taste the pretty flowers.

Mel, Max & Fur Gang

8. PeterDevonMocha

Thank you ... I told peter that while I appreciated the gesture, no more flowers, ever. He bought this bouquet because they did not have baby's breath's in them .. those are twix's favorites ... little did we know about lilies ...

Before I pick up twix I'm going shopping .. that little girl is going to get every new toy out there ....

9. MommaOfMuse

Yeah I didn't know about lillies either until last summer when our neighbor's dog almost died from reaching through our fence and eating our lillies. So this spring as soon as I can find them out there they are getting dug up and moved out of the reach of all furries. (There naked lady lillies so I have to wait until I see the shoots again).

But you don't have to give up on flowers as there are several types out there that are completely edible. Rose, Violets, Marigolds, Lavendar, which also make a pretty yummy salad for us beans too.

Mel, Max & The Fur Gang

10. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

This happened to a friend of mine. Same treatment. Her second cat also had to undergo, as they weren't sure if she had eaten any or not. They were fine. Twix will be fine. You got right on it.

11. PeterDevonMocha

Boy .. how scary not knowing the right information can be ... I never would have guessed lilies to be so dangerous ... I know, I really truly deeply honestly know that it was within a half hour that twix ate the flowers and was up at the vets for care .. I just hope there are no long term side effects of this accident ....

12. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Twix is going to be fine, and so are you ... you are a GREAT mom, and did exactly what you are supposed to do.

13. drjsiems

drjsiems Member

My civvie Boomer had a "run-in" with an asiatic lily my Dad put on my kitchen table unbeknownst to me until about 15 minutes later when I saw Boomer sitting next to it. I knew that lilies can cause acute renal failure when any part, large or small, of the plant is ingested. I immediately called the vet who told me to get Boomer to an E.R. immediately which I did. He was there two days to get his system flushed out - I will never know for sure if he actually ate any part of the plant, but he has a history of loving to chew on plants so I did want to take any chances.

Judy

14. PeterDevonMocha

I picked up twix this afternoon around 3:30 ... About 15 minutes after we got home she started throwing up black charcoal along with a lily petal. I called the vet since she told me to watch for that and then she told me she is pretty certain it was just car ride stress that caused her to throw up and not poisoning since she was fine all day up there. She has not thrown up since, and even ate a few kibbles.

Tomorrow morning she gets dropped off at 8:30 for a final check on her blood work and then I will pick her up in the afternoon. Keeping my fingers crossed for all normal results.

15. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

these bulbs are just as dangerous to people. my mom came down from yard with a "bulb" and said she was going to use this onion in cooking. asked her where she got that cause I did not plant any onions, let;s just say, thank goodness I was around that day or I might not have been her today.
    glad twix tossed her cookies. never a dull moment
    on second thought,maybe it was/is daffodil bulbs

16. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

17. tessielou

tessielou Member

Hi,
    Sorry I am responding so late, but I just read your post. My kitty also ate lillies two weeks ago. Same thing, hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting, then rush to vet's for charcoal and two days of IV fluids. Bloodwork one week later shows high than normal BUN, but the creatinine was within normal range. Vet said to repeat bloodwork one more time in 4 weeks. I'm counting the days...but it sounds like you caught your kitty fast enough, and the vet did all the right things.

I was scared to death then, and I'm still scared, but feeling better each day as he acts normal. I'll be thinking good thoughts for your kitty!

18. PeterDevonMocha

Wow tessielou .. sure is scary isn't it? I wonder why your kitty received two day's of IV treatments? Twix was only on IV for about 4-5 hours total. And this is the only retest on her bloodwork they mentioned ....

19. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

possibly if Twix's kidney values were ok, they didn't think she needed another day of fluids? I'm not sure. Hopefully the tests today will be ok. I would think testing again in a week or two wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm not a vet, just a mom who worries about things... I have a friend who recently lost a cat after he ate a bit of a lily, and her other cat was hospitalized for 2-3 days and on subq fluids at home after that (it has been a few months and she is ok now). Her cats were in ARF, though, so they needed aggressive treatment. I don't know what the standard treatment is if the renal values are ok.

I'm glad you got Twix in so quickly. Really, really glad. ((((Devon and Peter))))

20. tessielou

tessielou Member

Good Morning Twix's bean--sorry, I'm not as early a riser as you. Just got my first cup of joe... :smile:

I think T.J. had to have two day's worth of fluids because he ate more than 12 pieces of lily leaf tips! I know, because he threw them all up right after eating them and I found the fresh throw up (did not catch him eating the lillies). Then, after the hydrogen peroxide, he threw up again, and there were 3 more big pieces in that! So, the vet treated him agressively. The vet still says she is amazed at how much he ate and how big the pieces were. She said he should be dead. So, we're still anxious about him, but he is acting totally normal and we'll be very glad when we get next bloodwork done. It's a waiting game, and that is so nerve wracking!

I think Twix will be ok. It sounds like you caught it very quickly and acted quickly. Just keep good watch on him and good luck at the vets today. I'll check back on you this evening.

Sending good thoughts,
    Sandy and Tessie Lou

21. PeterDevonMocha

Ok well peter dropped twix off at the vets on his way to work .. she protested the entire way up there (surprise) and once she was there the vet said to her, well you don't sound like you want to be here and twix walked over to the front of the carrier and let one huge howl rip from the depths of her soul!

Anyways they called me back about an hour later and said her blood work was normal again but the vet would not consider us out of the woods just yet and that she wanted to do a full five days of subcutaneous fluids so that is where we are at now. She is still up at the vets and I haven't heard back on a time to pick her up yet. She told me each day I can drop her off or wait to get her back but if it is going to be a few hours long each day I can't leave mocha like that. Excuse me if I am not remembering this right now or not, but they will either check her blood work again tomorrow or after 5 days and then we should be in the clear. The fluids are just to help her kidneys flush out more I think.

An expensive lesson that is for sure!!!

22. tessielou

tessielou Member

Hi again,
    Wow, 5 days of fluids! That seems pretty aggressive, but then again, I would want them to do all they can to flush any toxins out of her.

We figure my bouquet of flowers ended up costing about $300 (so far). :YMSIGH: Yes, I agree, lesson learned!

Good luck, I hope you can work out a schedule for Twix. It's really great that his bloodwork is normal so far--I think that's a good sign!

23. PeterDevonMocha

Well I just called up to the vets to see how twix was doing. They have not even started the fluids yet because they have been doing surgeries all morning. I feel awful. She only ate breakfast and then went straight to the vets (8:30 a.m.). I know she isn't a big day time eater (eats more through the night) but I still feel awful. I know she hates the vets and we just go and drop her off in a big scary place that she doesn't want to be at and knows no one ... I miss her when she isn't here by me .. poor girl ... I sure do miss her ...

24. tessielou

tessielou Member

I know, it feels terrible. We want to protect them and keep them from scary situations. But, this is extremely important, and she will be okay. I know it sounds crazy, but when my kitties are at the vets, I send them positive, soothing messages. Who knows if they hear/feel them, but maybe? Can't hurt. In the meantime, just remember you're doing what's best for her right now. The waiting is tough, but it will be over soon, and you get to bring her home every day. Stay tough!

I'll check back this evening to see how Twix is doing.

25. MommaOfMuse

Donovon,

Could you just give her fluids at home, that way she wouldn't have to stay at the vet's so much. Might be easier on her and you. I've thankfully never had to do it, but I know we have lots of folks here that have, that could probably help you through it. Just a thought.

Mel, Max & The Fur Gang

26. PeterDevonMocha

Unfortunately twix is not a hands on type of cat. She is very, very skittish around people, even me and peter if we get to close to her. She is a love me from afar kind of cat which we don't have a problem doing. She comes to us when she wants to be petted but if we force ourselves on her she turns on us. We would not be able to medicate her at home ... it's now 2 p.m. and she is still up there ... I'll try sending soothing messages to her ...

27. Traci and Boomer

Devon-

OMG!!! All this for one bite of a lily. Boy - I've learned a lesson from this experience, I just can not believe how serious this is. I am SO glad you looked into it and took action so fast. Twix is gonna be okay thank goodness!!!!

28. MommaOfMuse

Poor baby girl, but I know what you mean. I have a couple semi-ferals here as well that are like that, lovin comes on their terms not ours. I refer to them as my living art...lol. Absolutely beautiful but touch-me-nots, or only touch me when I grant you permission, you lowly human creature.

Mel, Max and The Fur Gang

29. PeterDevonMocha

:lol: Mel, we think twix says that exact same thing to us! And if we DARE touch her, she spends hours upon hours cleaning right where we touch ...

Traci, I can't believe how serious this is either .. And I told peter this morning that I will be glad to know her blood work is good today and then it's behind us .. now we have another five days to look at ... I just hope twix forgives us each day ..

30. PeterDevonMocha

yay! Twix is home now .. she goes back tomorrow at 1 for more fluids and blood work .. the vet said I did very well yesterday getting her in so quick .. it felt good to hear that since I was pretty bummed leaving the vets yesterday .. felt like a real bad cat mom ... but I'm glad twix is on the mend!

31. tessielou

tessielou Member

So glad she's back home for the evening, sweet girl! Did they do bloodwork again today? You absolutely were a great mom, the vet is so right! Now just hang tough and she's gonna be fine. I'm thinking positive thoughts for you guys!

32. PeterDevonMocha

Yep, they did blood work this morning and said everything was in the normal range. They will also be doing blood work tomorrow and on monday. If all blood work is normal on monday she will say we are out of the woods so keeping fingers crossed! Twix is sound asleep in her "fort"

33. tessielou

tessielou Member

Good morning,
    Good report yesterday! Fingers crossed for Twix, but everything's sounding good!

Have a great day,

34. PeterDevonMocha

back from the vet ... blood work today was normal :RAHCAT :RAHCAT fluids for three more days and then final blood work on monday .. keeping fingers crossed!!!

35. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

So glad to see this good update! God bless your lil bugger. ;)
    jeanne

36. tessielou

tessielou Member

Another great day--yay!

37. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Very relieved for Trix, I can only imagine how worried you must have been.

38. MommaOfMuse

Just checking to see how Ms. Twix is doing with all her bloodwork and vet trips. Hopefully she has forgiven you.

Mel< Max & The Fur Gang.

39. PeterDevonMocha

Thanks everyone ... twix is doing really well and seems to have forgiven us for taking her to the vet. She came home friday with a "sweater" on because she was dripping fluid out of her body? But the vet assured me it was fine, it was just subcutaneous fluid mixed with a little blood and would stop on it's own, which it did .... I left twix alone for about two hours with her sweater on and when I got home she had managed to get both of her arms out of their arm holes and had the sweater halfway down her body :shock: Thankfully the dripping had stopped at that point. Tomorrow is her last day of fluids and blood work ... then hopefully this will all be done and over with and mocha can get over her hissing fits at twix .. poor girl!

40. tessielou

tessielou Member

Tomorrow will be a great day for Twix and you--I'll be thinking good thoughts! Please let us all know when Twix gets home and the outcome, k? My little guy, T.J. goes back for final bloodwork on March 4th. Counting the days...

41. Traci and Boomer

Wow - I hope the sweater was in a color that Twix approves of...I remember your girls only play with toys in certain colors. :lol:

It is sad when the cat who has been at the vet comes home and their buddy cat rejects them because they smell funny. Poor Twix!

42. PeterDevonMocha

yay! It's all done! Twix's blood work was normal today and she took her fluids like a champ .. of course, just as we got ready to leave she pee'd but all is well now ...

Traci, I can't believe you remember that :lol: But no, it was not in a color she favors .. it was off white and twix loves purple and pink toys! That must be why she wriggled her way out of it ...

Tessielou, I really hope T.J.s blood work is exactly where it should be ... I will be sending positive thoughts your way!

43. Traci and Boomer

Hi Devon-

Of course I remember her toys have to be a certain color! :lol: And mocha likes other colors - I can't remember - is one orange?

I will never forget that lillies are bad for cats, that's for sure. My God! I can't believe all this. Thank goodness Twix is a-okay. This was quite an eye-opening thread.

44. MommaOfMuse

Woohoo glad to hear that Twix is fine and all done with her trips to the vet's. I thought I was the only one that had to check the colors on toys before my cats will play with them...lol. Furry mice must be either pink or orange here or they are a no go. Took me awhile to figure that one out, silly human that's a black furry mouse, what is wrong with you...give it to the dog, and go get me a pink one!

Mel, MAx & The Fur Gang

45. PeterDevonMocha

Traci, yes, mocha loves the color orange! I really thought we were the only ones with picky cats but it sounds like you are right there with us Mel!

46. MommaOfMuse

Oh yeah, the dog has gotten more cat toys because they were the wrong color. I always love it when a salesclerk tells me that my cats won't know the difference because cats can't see color...lol. My usually response to that is well if they can't see it then they must be able to smell color, because unless it is orange, pink, yellow or turquiose blue..don't stand a chance here. To the point that I have a really wonderful handmade feather wand for them that not a single one will play with, because it is cream and brown. I thought they would love the wand as it is made of real rabbit fur and quail feathers, nope they hate it, however, the dog loves the thing.

Mel, Max & The Fur Gang

47. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

48. tessielou

tessielou Member

Doing the YES dance here! Yes Yes Yes! Way to go Twix and Twix's momma bean. I'm so happy for you all. I appreciate the good thoughts for Tessie Lou, too. :D

Also, Tessie will only play with pink ribbons, no other color. ;-)

49. Traci and Boomer

I'm gonna start a new thread about cats and color - don't want to hyjack this post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.