My cat Fluffer won't eat.

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by acsmith1972, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

The vet recently upped his dosage to two units a day after he had a hypoglycemic episode. He told my wife when she picked him up to make sure he eats before his shot. Fluffer, who used to be 24 pounds and is now 12, refuses to eat. Not significantly, anyway. He'll take a few bites and walk away. I've tried honey a few times like tonight when he's stumbling all over the place and all that seems to do is make him want more water. I've tried everything and put all his favorite foods out and he ignores it.

He's getting wet food, pate twice a day, but my cats are free-fed and my schedule and my wife's don't allow us to do a feeding schedule. Not that it would matter anyway, they don't eat at the same time no matter what. So we have dry food out. I know a lot of you hate dry food, but every vet I've talked to has said properly managed they can still have dry food. Preferably the good stuff, but an eating cat is better than a dead cat that starved itself. Plus, apparently dry food is one of the steps for hypoglycemia.

I haven't given Fluffer a shot in two days because of his lack of eating. Should I go for it and monitor him after?

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

If you haven't given insulin in 2 days, the problem is not hypoglycaemia. Please do not feed honey.

3. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

I didn't give him any because he had an episode on it and the vet said not giving him more was a good move, as was the honey. But then he upped the dosage anyway.

4. MiCo

MiCo Member

Hello! You might have better luck getting responses by posting your question in the Main Health forum, since it isn't an insulin specific. However, I will tell you when my cat wasn't eating, my vet prescribed an anti-naseau med as well as an appetite stimulant, and they stressed the importance of keeping him on the insulin. Best of luck!

Oh, and my vet said it was more important for him to eat, than to stick to Low carb food. If there are treats or dry food that the cat will eat, that is better than nothing.

5. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

That makes NO sense. If your cat had a possible symptomatic hypo event, you would NOT give him more insulin!

I see you still haven't been able to test him. I understand that it is difficult at first, but we aren't kidding when we say it could save his life. What we need to find out is, are these "episodes" a hypo, or could they be a sign he has DKA. DKA, diabetic ketoacidosis, is very serious and can happen if a cat isn't getting enough insulin, isn't getting enough calories, and has an infection. From your previous post, it sounds like Fluffer qualifies. Just so you know, a hypo event can kill your cat quickly without intervention. DKA can also kill him, but more slowly.

Please read this post on testing tips and try anything you haven't already tried.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/ DO not be afraid to poke hard enough to go through the ear. I promise you it doesn't hurt the cat, and you NEED to get the test.

What I found easiest was to use the rice sock, heating in the microwave for about 30 seconds (depending on your microwave). It should be warm, but not too warm - test it like a baby bottle, against the inside of your wrist. Hold it against the ear. I would sort of roll the ear over it, so it was curved around the sock. Hold it there several seconds, then keep the sock in place while you poke near the edge of the ear, quickly and firmly (I never had luck with the device, I used the lancet). Then squeeze the spot where you poked until blood comes up. Make sure the stip is all the way in the meter, so it is ready, and dip it in the blood. If you have to, get the blood on your fingernail and test it from there.

6. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Absolutely. Cats can get something called hepatic lipidosis if they don't eat enough, and it is very serious. I know because I lost a cat to it, before I understood the importance of getting the calories into them.

Friskies and Fancy Feast pates are low carb foods and are not as "bad" as some people think. Many people here feed them to their diabetic cats.

When you have some funds again, I would suggest investing in a couple of automatic feeders. Many of us here like the PetSafe 5 Meal Feeder. Some Petsmarts and Petcos have them, or you can order them on Amazon. They run about $35 each. There is a place under the food tray where you can put an ice pack to keep the moist food fresh. You fill the first four slots and set it to turn at one or two hour intervals (or whenever you want), and then you leave the last dish empty and set it to turn two hours before shot time. That way, the cat(s) don't have access to food and you can get a preshot test that does not have food influencing the BG.

MiCo likes this.
  7. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Like the others have stated, it's very important to get a test before you give insulin if you think he's too low. Chances are he's too high without insulin for 2 days. If you can you should test his urine for ketones. He might need ER care.
    Do not increase his insulin if he had a HYPOglycemic incident. If he was too high, HYPERglycemic, then I can see why your vet increased his dose. Very important to figure out which one happened. To prevent both you should test before giving his shots.
    ProZinc usually has a nadir at 6 hours after the shot. It's most definitely out of his system after 24hours. His body shouldn't be making him go too low on its own. I say "shouldn't" only because I've never heard of it and I'm not a vet so I can't say it's a fact.
    Edited to add: I read this over and it seemed kinda rude/harsh. Please don't think I'm trying be rude or harsh... That wasn't my intention. :oops:

8. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

None of us mean to be pushy or harsh. We're here because we love cats, and you came here because you love yours. We only want to help.

Kris & Teasel and StephG like this.
  9. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

100% true!!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  10. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

How long has Fluffer been refusing to eat? Did you change his food right before he started refusing? Your vet is right about an eating cat is better than a dead cat. In the end, you have to give him what he'll eat. Will he eat anything? You could try a bit of tuna to see if he'll eat that, or some crushed up treats on food.

11. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

He hasn't eaten much for a few days now. I just put more fresh wet food and he had a few bites but then he walked away.

12. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

His symptoms were he suddenly looked like he was having a stroke. He twisted his body on one side and was stretching his paw up in the air like he was trying to claw some imaginary beast. I put him on the floor and he fell into several pieces of furniture and his eyes got really big. It was pretty scary, we thought he was dying. It happened during a blizzard to make things worse. I put honey on his gums and it snapped him out of it. It happened several more times that night and honey worked. The third time he ate like a piggy and was back to normal.

But for the last few days he's gone back to really low energy. Nothing quite as harsh, but walking slowly, sleeping standing up, not much water consumption. Last time he had blood work there were no ketones.

13. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

No, I still give him the same stuff. Generally. I've added a few things like the occasional can of Wellness Core, but mostly he gets his regular stuff.

14. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

I'm going to go try in a few minutes. If I'm successful what should the number be to give him a shot?

15. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

16. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Have you tried to get a test?
    Do you have any ketone test strips to test his urine?

17. Sharon14

I'm on my way out the door, so I'll tag @Kris & Teasel in case you need help.

18. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm here. :)

Sharon14 likes this.
  19. Kris & Teasel

Post here. It'll be very hard to give advice without data.

20. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

I just poked 6 holes in his ear and no blood came out. I tried his paw pad and couldn't pierce it and he got pissed. Is 30 the wrong lancet size?

21. Kris & Teasel

You need a thicker lancet in the range of 26 to 28 gauge. They're usually labelled for "alternate site testing" at a human pharmacy. You also need to warm the ear very well to get good blood flow. One way to do this is to put hot water into a small, tightly sealed empty bottle and rub it over the ear. Another method is to make a "rice sock' but putting about 1/2 cup dry uncooked rice into the toe of an old, clean sock and heating it in the microwave until it's very warm but touchable. Massaging the ear from the base toward the tip will help and make sure you're aiming for the upper outer edge of the ear. Many of us find that free handing with the lancet gives much better control than using it in the spring trigger holder.

22. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

Yeah, I was just using the lancet. I'll go to Walgreens later and see if they have 26 or 28.

23. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

This stuff is hard for me. I work 7 days a week 12 hours a day. I can't get back there till probably 10 tonight but I'll ask to leave early. If I'm lucky I'll get out at 9. I work in a restaurant. The hours suck.

24. Kris & Teasel

I can see that this is difficult with your routine. All I can suggest is that you learn to test and at least test right before feeding and injecting. If he's a good eater you can inject while he's eating. With practice the routine shouldn't take much more time than he takes to eat.

25. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Do you warm his ear? That was the solution for us - warm ears bleed better. You can make a rice sack with a thinnish sock, fill it with raw rice and knot. Put it in the microwave until nice and war, hold it up next to his ear while giving him loves or a low carb treat. After 30 seconds or so, poke.

The fatter lancet should work better too.

Once you get this down, even with your hours, it will be easier. A quick test in the am, shot, maybe an out the door test, leave out some food and see how things look at night. Lots of people manage with the am/pm test when they work and then more tests on their day off.

26. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

I'll try tell sock thing later, thanks for that idea. I'll try to wrap him in a towel, too so he doesn't squirm away. He's the most cuddly kitty I've ever seen but he's not a fan of being held. If I can't get the test right should I go ahead and give him the shot anyway? He won't eat for an audience when he's sick but I suspect he eats a little even now.

27. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Without any idea what his levels are, it is dangerous to suggest a dose. Please try to get a number.

28. Kris & Teasel

What insulin are you using and what dose is he on?

29. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

Okay. How does insulin work? If his numbers are high like at his vet appointment, does insulin make that go up? Is food the only way to make it go down?

30. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

Prozinc, which the vet sold to me at cost for $80, and 2 units twice a day.

31. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Were his numbers high at the vet's office? How high? (Cats can be 100+points higher at the vet because of vet stress). When was that? How many hours from now?

Generally you give insulin when the test in the am/pm is over 200. The insulin brings down the number for about 5-7 hours until the level is at its lowest point. Then it slowly climbs back up to the next shot 12 hours later
    . That makes a smile shaped curve. But sometimes curves look different as the kitties are not good at reading the manual.:D

If you give insulin when the number is too low, the insulin pushes down that number and he can drop too low, causing a hypo. They can be deadly. Having high levels isn't great but is, short term, less dangerous. We wouldn't want to encourage you to give insulin without knowing if he is already in a low range.

32. Sue and Oliver (GA)

When you have time, the two links in my signature in blue explain how ProZinc works and how best to use it.

33. Kris & Teasel

His numbers will be high for any number of reasons like:
    • stress from being at the vet's office
    • insulin dose was too low
    • high carb food has been fed
    • presence of infection or inflammation
    • etc.
    Food, once digested and absorbed, increases the glucose level in the blood. This glucose is taken into the cells to make energy for every process needed to keep kitty alive. Insulin is needed to get this glucose into the cells properly. A diabetic cat doesn't produce enough insulin so the glucose stays in the bloodstream and raises the BG level. The kitty is starving even if he's eating because the glucose can't get into the cells.

Injecting insulin is the way to give the kitty the insulin he needs and the amount of insulin (dose) injected determines how low the BG can be lowered - too large a dose, too much lowering and too small a dose, not enough lowering. If a kitty isn't eating well there's not enough glucose in the bloodstream for the insulin to act on so a dose can drag the BG down to very low levels.

Does this help?

34. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

I'm not sure, I'll call the vet but I think his number was 400 or 500. Something like that. That was on Friday. Since then I only gave him one shot one time because he was acting so sick.

35. Sue and Oliver (GA)

What dose was he getting when he had a hypo?

It would so much safer to give insulin if you had a current number. The vet number could have been inflated; it could have been a bounce from the hypo. What I can't understand is why the vet would raise the dose if he had a hypo. Is that sure what happened?

36. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

The vet said he didn't think he was hypo, but if he wasn't then he's just been stroking out all week, which I highly doubt. Apparently it wasn't a glucose test, he did a fructosamine test. I think he did both. I remember him saying his levels were too high for a morning shot for the curve. The fructose results aren't in yet.

37. Kris & Teasel

This test just gives an average of how the BG has been for the 2 - 3 weeks prior: poor control, good control, etc. It's of limited value compared to daily testing.

I don't understand this. BG levels are never too high for insulin. Too low, yes, but never too high.

38. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

I may have misunderstood but I know they skipped the morning dose because of his levels.

If I can't get fluffer to eat how do I do the shot? I tried manually feeding him, but he got pissed at that.

39. Kris & Teasel

I'll repeat what Sue suggested above when she mentioned looking at the links in her signature about how ProZinc works and how to use it.

I understand that your work schedule is very hectic and has long hours. It makes treating feline diabetes more of a challenge but not impossible. That's why it's extremely important that you're up to speed on how this insulin works, how to do BG testing, understanding what the vet is telling you and so on. When you're fitting all this into a very busy, tight schedule you don't have the time to try to figure it out on the fly. You need the knowledge at your fingertips and you need BG data to refer to.

A number of other posters have explained at length what you need to know and even apologized for seeming harsh. Neither they nor I intend to be harsh or bossy. We're trying our utmost to help you help your kitty. You're the one there with Fluffer so you're the one who has the power to act.

40. Kris & Teasel

Right now he needs to eat even if it's high carb dry food. He's at risk of developing complications from too little food and no insulin. Try some kibble to see if that tempts him.

41. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

I've tried his cap food, I tried blue buffalo, I tried several wet foods all of which he loves like chicken or tuna pate, I tried 4 different kind of treats, and even kitty milk. He literally won't eat. He had like 3 bites of his pate at around 9 and hasn't eaten since. My wife is home and thinks he's given up. He's walking around all lethargic but back to hiding under furniture. Should he go back to the vet for iv feeding? I know you guys all want to know this bg number, but I can't check till later tonight. My wife can't check because she just isn't good doing that sort of thing. But either way I guess what I'm asking is will a shot bring his appetite back? He lost 12 pounds since this started and every day he loses a little more.

42. Kris & Teasel

There are a number of things that can help a cat who won't eat: antinausea meds, appetite stimulant meds, sub cutaneous fluids, etc. If you can take him back to the vet to get him checked that's best because a diabetic cat is at risk of diabetic ketoacidosis (from not eating and no insulin) and hepatic lipidosis (from not eating). These are conditions that are very difficult to treat at home especially with a very difficult work schedule.

Sharon14 likes this.
  43. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

I called the vet. I'm waiting for a callback. They told me to try to get him to eat anything at all he wants so I told my wife to open a can of tuna. I doubt it will work but maybe.

44. Kris & Teasel

Plain pureed baby food in the jar is a popular thing to try. It has to be plain meat and broth, no spices or onion in it. You can try getting Fluffer to eat it on his own or you might have to resort to syringe feeding.

45. Sue and Oliver (GA)

46. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

I'll try that later. Vet assistant called back and recommended VCA for 24/7 care but I know what they charge. I don't have an extra $2000 laying around. The vet will call in the morning. Maybe they can treat him there and do a payment plan. I'm going to post a gofundme campaign. I doubt it will help, but maybe.

47. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

My wife put food in his mouth and he won't chew or swallow and just spits it out so it'll probably have to be liquid later.

48. Sharon14

49. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

I'll try that. Hopefully he has a bathroom trip while I'm watching. Can it be tested from the litter or do I have to put it under the pee? As for his dental issues, no, the vet said he needs to be stable before we talk about surgery for that.

50. Kris & Teasel

The ketone strip has to get wet with urine. Try putting a shallow dish or lid under his backside to collect some pee. It's easier than trying to get the strip into the urine stream.

51. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

Okay, we tried a bunch of times and finally got it. It said 332.

52. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

332 is higher than he should be. The problem with him not eating is if you give him a dose of insulin and he goes too low he will need to eat to bring his BG up. I don't think it's a good idea to give 2 units with no data on his BG readings. Maybe the others will have better advice. If he was my cat I would want to start low and see where he goes but the most important thing is to get him eating.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  53. Kris & Teasel

I agree with Steph's advice. He has to eat first and foremost.

54. Sue and Oliver (GA)

322 is high enough for insulin, but not terribly high if it represents a level after 2 days without insulin. (Is that correct?) Is he eating anything at all? Any luck with the baby food or feeding off your finger or on the roof of his mouth? Are you considering syringe feeding?

StephG likes this.
  55. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

I got him to eat nosy of two of those lickies treats. Not sure what they are, Fancy Feast in a pouch, real food in gravy or cream. He then had about 20 little treats, followed by a few bites of tuna, and then some grated parmesan on a plate. I did do the finger thing with baby food and used a turkey baster to give him water. He's at the vet right now, hopefully getting better.

StephG likes this.
  56. Sue and Oliver (GA)

57. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

Yeah, when they did the first battery a few months ago they checked that. It was fine them, negate on Ketones, too. I hope it's still the same. I posted those test results somewhere here.

58. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

It's great that you got food into him! My cat loves those lick'ums or whatever they're called. I give him the ones in the tube but bought two little packets of the pureed stuff that has some chunks in it. Haven't given him any yet to test how it effects his BG.
    Glad your kitty is at the vet and hopefully he'll be on the mend when he comes home.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  59. Kris & Teasel

I hope you can get Fluffer on the path to recovery. Good luck!

60. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Let us know what the vet has to say!

61. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

I didn't mean to not post yesterday, but my tooth issue was really bad. I'm on a diet of Vicodin, Alleve, and antibiotics and to top it off I had a cluster migraine yesterday. It was a bad day. The Fluffer news was good. The vet gave him iv fluids and used the syringe trock to feed him. He got two units yesterday am and his level went down to 100! He was so happy last night. Cuddly and purring. The vet asked for him back today for another curve. He said no evening dose last night. Apparently some cats only need insulin once a day and that might be Fluffer's issue. I'll know more later. He said ketone were +1 and that wasn't really bad. This vet is awesome. He said not to worry about cost, he just wants to get back what he paid, no markup and I can pay him when I can. Best vet ever.

62. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

Ash Creek Veterinarian Hospital Bridgeport Connecticut.

63. Kris & Teasel

I'm so glad Fluffer's doing well. You had a heck of a day yesterday on top of the kitty stress. Your vet seems very reasonable and willing to work with you. That's great!

Have you considered setting up a spreadsheet like we use here to track Fluffer's data? We can see it and would be able to help you with better advice and more quickly.

64. Sharon14

And I'll bet your vet will love the spreadsheet too, mine did!

65. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

Yes, I'll do the spreadsheet, but after he's out of the woods and after I get my tooth pulled next Tuesday. I'm having a hard time focusing right now.

Rachel likes this.
  66. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

I thought he was better, the vet said he only needs a shot, 2 units in the morning, but he was at 332 again last night. My wife won't give him a shot unless he eats so he's home miserable right now because she won't syringe feed him. You know, the no needle syringe. He ate a little today. I was in a rush this morning and asked her to do it and she flaked. I'll do it as soon as he eats when I get home.

67. Sue and Oliver (GA)

It doesn't work to give only one shot a day. The insulin only lasts 12 hours, so after that he will continue to rise until he gets the next shot. It would be much better to halve the dose and give it 12 hours apart. The ProZinc site says it lasts 10-12 hours; it won't last 24.

http://www.prozinc.us/prozinc/prozinc_for_managingfelinediabetes.html

Kris & Teasel and StephG like this.
  68. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yep prozinc is a 12 hour insulin...it sometimes lasts a bit longer but not 24 hours. 1 shot a day would probably mean 12 hours of the normal smile curve and 12 hours of high numbers... Definitely not what you want.

69. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

Talked to the vet. He said 2 units am 1 unit pm. Gonna try that.

70. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Make sure you get a morning preshot so you don't dose 2 units on a lower than usual number from the 1 unit at night.

71. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

I'm not sure what a pre-shot is. I tested him this morning and he was at 52. Can someone please explain to me how insulin shots work? I didn't give him any this morning because that seemed like an awefully low number. I did give him some honey and had to feed him his food and water myself. I didn't get him to eat much but I figure something is better than nothing.

So do hots raise or lower that number? If it raises it I should have given him that morning shot. And why do they have to eat before a shot? My cats are the worst when it comes to scheduled feeding. They flat out refuse to do it. They graze.

72. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

Does someone here have a spreadsheet template I can use? I want it to be as detailed as you guys, but have no idea what to put in where. I haven't used excel in so long.

73. Sue and Oliver (GA)

A pre shot is the number you get before the shot. We suggest not shooting if that number is under 200 until you have enough data to predict how you cat might react to a given dose. Not giving him insulin this am was a good choice. The insulin would have taken his levels down lower into dangerous hypo territory. 50 is nearing hypo range.

You test in the am. If the level is above 200, you give insulin. (In his case, I would suggest a very small amount). He may rise a little in the first 2 hours because of the food he ate. Then he is likely to drop down into lower ranges, reaching his lowest point 5-7 hours after the shot. After that point (called the nadir) he should slowly rise back up to near the am range, 12 hours after the am shot.

Here are the directions for the spreadsheet we use:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Lots of your questions are answered in the two threads in blue in my signature. They will give you a good idea of how the insulin works and how to keep him in safe numbers.

74. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Wow!! Glad you tested him and didn't give him insulin. Insulin brings the number down. It shouldn't be high and it shouldn't be below 50.
    I would cut his pm dose down and his morning dose.

75. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

I just checked his level and it's at 242. He hasn't eaten all day that I can tell. A nibble here and there. He's lethargic all day and hasn't shown any interest in anything. I even brought him outside and he wasn't into it.

76. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

So even without insulin his numbers will fluctuate every day? :( I want him to get better. I thought once we hit our stride with this he'd be regular. I feel so bad for him. He's mildly cuddly still, but not much. He stopped purring again. He purrs so loudly you can hear it in another room. But today he's quiet.

77. Sharon14

Can you talk to your vet about getting a bag fluids that you can give at home? its important for him to stay hydrated, and that may help feel better so he'll eat on his own. Are you still assist feeding him?

78. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

I just gave him a kitty cat treat, popped it in his mouth and held it so he'd swallow it. He wasn't too happy about that, but afterwards he ate about 20 of them on his own. Think I should give him his shot now? If he's at like 240 or so is it safe to give the two units or maybe just 1?

79. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I would only give one unit - at the most- and I would continue to try to get him to eat. If he were mine, I think I would try less than one unit as 2 units made him drop so low, and he is not eating well. Some insulin and some food is better than none, but I would be cautious. Get a before bed test to be sure he is not headed down.

Syringe feeding might be an option.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/syringe-assisted-feeding-video-and-tips.144367/

80. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

I'll check his levels again and if it's still over 200 i'll try half a unit.

StephG and Sue and Oliver (GA) like this.
  81. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

I see the spreadsheet and I downloaded it but I don't see instructions on what's what there, like what I put in each block, what each block means, what things like amp mean.

82. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

I probably should've mentioned that the meter I have is a human meter. It's this one by Bayer. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NG0MSPQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 So if it said he was 358 earlier tonight before I gave him a shot what does that translate to for kitty levels?

83. Pati

Pati Member

The first column is the date. The next is AMPS. That means before feeding and giving insulin you home test. You put what the number is in that box. It will automatically color code it. Next you would feed Fluffer and when he has eaten enough give insulin. That next box (labeled U) is how much insulin you gave in units. The next columns are for any testing that you do through out the day to see how low the insulin is taking Fluffer's BG (blood glucose). If you tested at 11am and that was 5 hours from when you gave insulin at 6am, that meter number would go in the +5 column. The spreadsheet will color code it automatically. Once you get to PMPS that is the start of the next 12 hour cycle. You would repeat the steps of the AMPS by testing him, feeding, giving insulin.

Your testing, feeding, and giving insulin should be 12 hours apart. For me it is 6am and 6pm. So my AMPS is 6am and my PMPS is 6pm. Your's can be whatever works for your schedule but they need to be consistent, same time each day.

The spreadsheet will let you accumulate data to see how that dose of insulin is working. Get mid cycle tests whenever possible (+5-7 hours after giving insulin). You want to see how low his BG is going. That information is just as important as the preshot tests.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Lisa and Smoky and Kris & Teasel like this.
  84. Pati

Pati Member

You don't translate it to anything. The number is 358. But you can not dose base strictly on this number. I'm reading that he had a 52 earlier? That means the dose he was given was too much. That can either be because the dose was simply too much or if he is not eating. Food gives the body glucose. The body needs glucose to function. When a person or pet has diabetes, their pancreas is not producing enough insulin to let the body use the glucose. This is why we give insulin injections. If Fluffer hasn't eaten though, so no glucose, giving an insulin injection can be dangerous. It will drop his BG so low that it could be life threatening. Keep working on how to get Fluffer to eat. It is really important.

85. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yep, the only thing we need to know is if you are using a human or a pet meter. We don't try to translate numbers...since we know you're using a human meter, we can interpret those numbers just as they are. :)

Lisa and Smoky and Kris & Teasel like this.
  86. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

Yeah, when he was 58 it wasn't from a shot. He didn't have one the night before and I didn't give him one that morning. I fed him honey then kitty treats and he eventually had a little regular food. At night it was 358 I think so I gave him his shot. This morning it was 378 so I had to syringe feed him some water and food and half hour later tested again, it was 350, so I gave him his two units. I'm not home till 8 but hopefully my wife will test him. I'll start the spreadsheet later tonight. It's our 3 year married anniversary so the plan is to go out assuming Fluffer is okay.

87. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

Has anyone used the meds to encourage eating?

88. Kris & Teasel

Many people have to use meds to fight nausea (cerenia or ondansetron) and stimulate appetitite (cyproheptadine) to get their kitty back on track. No food + not enough insulin = potentially dangerous health situation.

89. Kris & Teasel

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/updated-tips-for-new-members.173572/

This link has a lot of really good information even though it's aimed at people who are using Lantus or Levemir insulin instead of ProZinc like you're using.

We're here to help you as much as we can but we really need to see all of your data on a spreadsheet as soon as you can get it up. Otherwise we're guessing at what's going on and are very limited in the advice we can offer. For example, telling us that Fluffer's BG was 58 at one test even though he had no insulin and then it's up to 358 later that day is very puzzling. We need data from well before and well after that to see what's happened. I strongly encourage you to find a little time to read the info stickies at the top of this forum's lists to learn more about ProZinc and how it works.

90. Pati

Pati Member

Congrats. Have a fun, romantic date tonight. :)

91. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

The problem with the spreadsheet is I work almost 80 hours a week. I'm so tired when I get home. And my dental visit the dentist managed to fracture my jaw so I'm also in a lot of pain. I'm not as regular as it takes checking Fluffer and his ear looks terrible now from all the pokes. I'll try to do the spreadsheet but it's going to have gaps. Last night he was at 580. I gave him 2 units. This morning it was like 428 so I gave him 2 units. Both after eating. The pills the vet gave for his appetite worked. He's eating everything and meowing which he never does. He's still not into his dry food but he eats everything else.

StephG likes this.
  92. Sue and Oliver (GA)

We have a lovely member who can help you with the spreadsheet. You just need to respond to her private message and give her some information. @Marje and Gracie can you save us once again?

As far as filling it in, do the best you can. Some people get an out of the door test in the am and an in the door at night, and a before bed test. Sometimes you have to wait for a day off to get midcycle numbers. They will be so helpful showing you whether he stays high and fat and needs an increase or whether he drops mid cycle and needs to keep the same dose or lower it.

93. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yep, just grab what tests you can!

So sorry to hear about the dentist visit! Hope they gave you something for the pain.

94. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

Tell me if I did this right.

Attached Files:

95. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

Thanks. He gave me Amoxicillin, Ibuprofen, and Percocet. Just enough of all three for 7 days which ran out today. I go back to see him tomorrow. My wife used to be a dentist in Peru and her opinion is he fractured my jaw, which is why the pain hasn't gone away. Fingers crossed he gives me more of all three tomorrow.

96. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

The vet gave me some teeny tiny pill to help with his appetite and it's once every three days. I gave him one two days ago so tomorrow he can have one. Half hour after I got him to swallow it he was meowing like a big boy, which he never does, ever. He meows like a little girl kitty, and he was eating everything like a vacuum. And drinking an appropriate amount of water. I need to ask the vet if it could be once every other day instead. He was his old self for two days and now he looks sickly again.

StephG likes this.
  97. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

Fluffer has twice peed on the welcome mats. The first time he did it I put it outside. I just noticed he nailed the other one. So that one's outside also. I'm not sure if I can wash those or not, maybe hose them down, but why is he missing the litter box? I cleaned it yesterday. I'll do it again in a little while. He's really sluggish today, I'm guessing low, but I'll check after I get back from the dentist. I gave him another of the pills for appetite a little while ago.

98. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

My cat does that when his BG is high. It's his way of letting me know he doesn't feel well. That's how I realized he had FD. The problem is that after he did it a couple of times, he started thinking the mat was his new litter box. I tried scrubbing it, and even sprayed an enzyme cleaner that is supposed to remove pet smells, but he still tried to pee on it so I had to toss it. As soon as it was gone, he went back to using the litter box correctly with no problem.

I hope things are better at the dentist today! You've got a lot going on right now!

99. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

I put both the welcome mats outside so I'll hose them down later and leave them outside. We have a store here called Burlington Coat Factory that sells nice welcome mats for like $5. I'll get more. At the dentist now waiting. I hate teeth. Fluffer still has those issues to deal with also but the vet wanted to do one thing at a time. But when I see him drink he always jumps back so I know there's something hurty in there. Poor kitty.

100. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

I skipped his last night shot because even though he was at over 200 he was really lethargic. No idea why. I tried some honey and it had no effect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.