My cat is always hungry

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kristie alcorn, Jun 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kristie alcorn

kristie alcorn Member

I need help. She is always hungry. I feed her a 3 ounce can in the morning & 3 ounce at night. She is over weight so I know I should watch that. But oh my gosh she will wake us before it’s time to even feed her. Should I feed her more? Should I change the food that I am feeding to something more filling? She eats fancy fest. Before being a diabetic she never cried about anything & now it’s like she is never satisfied.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Is she getting enough calories based on her 'ideal' weight? I would make sure. 20 calories per pound is supposed to be about right for an average indoor cat. I do not know which FF you feed her, but I know the Classic Chicken Feast has about 90 calories. So, two cans of that would only be enough if she should weigh 9 lbs. You might also try breaking her food up into more than two meals a day.

Is her glucose well regulated? If it is running too high, that would make her extra hungry. And, if she drops too low, that sometimes makes them hungry, too. Has she been checked for hyperthyroidism? That also makes them very hungry.

3. kristie alcorn

kristie alcorn Member

She weighs about 11 pounds & she does eat Classic Chicken Feast. She has never been regulated. She has always ran a little high.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Non regulated cats often need more food as they don't utilize the nutrients properly. I'd give a little mid day and late night snack if she's hungry.

5. kristie alcorn

kristie alcorn Member

I will try that. Maybe that will make her & the rest of us happier, lol

Mary E. Beavers likes this.
  6. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I have a civvie that eats for the sake of eating. If I give him something a little healthier than FF he goes away. Now he knows the food is there if he wants it and generally the other five don't like it and/or won't touch it. It seems to turn off the "must eat" switch in his head. Lord knows there's nothing else in there.

7. kristie alcorn

kristie alcorn Member

So we found out she is prehyper thyroid. She started Monday taking Felimazole 2.5mg one pill a day. Has any ones cat taking this vomit while taking it? If so for how long? She only vomits in the late evening like one time then she’s done. If she does it again tonight she goes back to the vet tomorrow morning.

8. Chris & Lucy

Chris & Lucy Member

A friend had a cat that was hyperthyroid and puked all the time. That was before medication. After he was medicated it seems it almost disappeared. I can't remember the name of the meds he was on but they didn't seem to have any noticeable side effects.

ECID

kristie alcorn likes this.
  9. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Vomiting seems to be a common side effect:
    In a foreign field study with 26 cats using a starting dose of 5 mg twice daily (twice the recommended starting dose), one cat was withdrawn due to lethargy, vomiting and facial excoriations. Marked thrombocytopenia was reported in two cats; the platelet count returned to normal in one cat when Felimazole Coated Tablets was discontinued. Two cats collapsed and died within 12 days of starting Felimazole Coated Tablets at a dose of 5 mg twice daily. Both cats were reported with lethargy, vomiting, anorexia, and bloody diarrhea; one cat also had pallor.

In a second foreign field study with 78 cats using a starting dose of 2.5 mg twice daily, 4 cats were withdrawn due to suspected adverse reactions to Felimazole Coated Tablets including anemia, cholangiohepatitis, excoriations, vomiting, lethargy, jaundice, and anorexia. One cat receiving 2.5 mg three times daily collapsed and died after 8 weeks of treatment. Adverse reactions included pallor, anorexia, dehydration, jaundice, bleeding diathesis, and anemia. The most frequently reported adverse reactions included mild, transient, self-limiting vomiting, lethargy, and anorexia.

Above from:
    https://www.drugs.com/pro/felimazole.html

kristie alcorn likes this.
  10. kristie alcorn

kristie alcorn Member

Hopefully hers will get better soon

11. kristie alcorn

kristie alcorn Member

That’s scary to read. Hopefully since she is taking just 1 tablet a day that this won’t happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.