My cat is hungry all the time, very loud

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cary, Nov 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cary

Cary New Member

Hello everyone! Ringo was diagnosed with diabetes a year ago. He’d been losing weight, excessive thirst & urination. His BS had been in 400s. We gave him Lantau twice a day and changed his diet. After a few months his BS stabilized and we stopped giving the insulin, but continued the special diet. ( he gets half can of Prescription Diet m/d Glucosupport twice a day and Metabolic treats in between).
    This was working well until a month or two ago. He’s always been a very vocal Tabby, obsessed with food, but it has intensified. Now hours earlier than mealtime he’s wailing at top of his lungs.
    He’s urinating normally and weight is healthy now, but I’m getting tired of the howling at 4 am. should I be feeding him more food? After he eats, he gets calm again.
    Is there another treat I could give him?

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Have you tested his glucose lately? I am wondering if it is high again.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  3. Cary

Cary New Member

No it’s been months, i avoid taking him to the vet if possible because he gets very upset and worked up. What kind of food do you feed your cat? I fed him this morning and then he calmed down.

4. FurBabiesMama

You can get a glucose meter and check it at home - no vet visit needed. Once a cat has been diabetic, it is a good idea to keep a check on their glucose. Even cats that go into remission can relapse. The quicker you catch it and start treatment, the better.

My signature (light gray text below my posts) gives info on what I feed my cats. You want to be feeding wet food that is quality high protein and low in carbohydrates. How much a cat should get depends on their healthy weight and the calories in the food. One common formula is 20 calories per 1lb of healthy body weight. So, if you have a 10 pound cat, they need about 200 calories a day. You can check the calories in the food and determine how much to feed then break that up over a few small meals throughout the day.

If your cat's hunger has 'intensified', I strongly suggest getting a meter and testing. Increased hunger is a symptom of diabetes. Their cells are not able to properly use the food they are eating, so they are 'starving'.

5. FurBabiesMama

According to the cat food database (link in my signature), Hill's m/d wet food is 13% carbs. It is recommended that food be no more than 10% carbs, and many of us find that we need to stay more like 5% or less. I don't know what the metabolic treats are, but you may want to check the carb content on those, too.

6. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Extra vocalness and a high turn over of food comes with hyper thyroid tumor.
    A full set of blood tests with TSH, T4, T4 free, is the only way and the thyroid tumor is palpative with the fingers by an experienced vet.
    There also is an effective treatment for the hyper T tumor and that is Radioactive iodine.

My Simba got that in addition to the rest and I couldn't figure out what was going on with him. I could have beaten myself up for not getting into the vet a few monhs earlier than I did, since Simba would have gotten the Radioactive Iodine faster than and saved him those months of feeling so bad.

Dyana likes this.
  7. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

The howling could also be related to high blood pressure so it may be a good idea to ask the vet to check his blood pressure, but I agree that testing his blood glucose levels may be the first thing to do to be sure that his diabetes is under control before considering other options

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I would definitely get a glucose meter and check the blood sugar levels to eliminate diabetes again.

9. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Dre yowls for no reason that I can figure out ....I agree and would test his bg at home
    I sometimes think it is just the aging but who knows? His BW is good he gets tested and insulin 12/12
    he is just over 20 which is why I thought age???
    He does come get me and meows if is sugar is dropping but I don't think that would be Ringos issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.