My cat just diagnosed today HELP Please!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MimiLeRue, Feb 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MimiLeRue

MimiLeRue New Member

My cat started acting strang and weak. Disoriented and not eating. Weak legs ect. I took her to the vet and she was diagnosed with Diabetes Mellitus, dehydration and lethargy. She is to make 1 unit of Lantus every 12 hours. The doctor gave her her first shot. She is home now and cannot stand up. Is this normal. He did say it would be a few days until she felt better. Of course the office is closed now and emergency care will not answer questions over phone. Thank you in Advance for any input.

2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Do you have any karo syrup or honey? Try rubbing a bit on her gums to see if that helps and post back.

3. Nan & Amber (GA)

It's possible that your cat is having a hypoglycemic reaction to the shot, so I wanted to get that reply off quickly (hypos are very dangerous) before adding details or asking questions. There are other possible causes for the symptoms, but hypoglycemia is an immediate emergency and I don't think that a small amount of honey/karo would do any harm with respect to other possibilities.

So, now the details and the questions (but don't stop to answer these before doing the karo/honey):

1) What was your cat's blood glucose level at the vet (I assume you aren't testing at home, but if you are, great! and please get a test ASAP!)
    2) How many hours since the shot?
    3) How long was your cat not eating, and is she eating now?
    4) Did your vet test for ketones?
    5) Did the vet give any fluids?

It's very hard to say what is going on right now, but the "cannot stand up" is very worrying. Please post back when you can and we will try to help, but if your kitty's condition worsens the emergency vet is the place to be.

4. Nan & Amber (GA)

Honestly, based on what you have described, I would take your cat to the emergency vet (with a bottle of karo to apply along the way-- helps if there's someone with you while you drive). Not being able to stand up after an insulin shot is definitely not normal, it's the kind of emergency you do not want to take a chance on.

Have them check potassium levels while there as well.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Was he walking on his back hocks before you brought him to the vet, or is the falling down thing only since you started insulin? If the not being able to stand thing is new go to an er.

If it was before then what is happening is called neuropathy. It will improve with better blood glucose control and with vitamin b 12 methylcobalamin supplements. A popular choice is the brand Zobaline which you can order through Amazon.

What are you feeding.

Are you learning to home test? If it's the best way to keep your cat safe from hypoglycemia. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC.

6. MimiLeRue

MimiLeRue New Member

Thank you very much for the response. I took her to emergency vet and they are keeping her there. She was diagnosed this morning and her blood sugar level was a little over 600. The Dr. Administered her first insulin shot at 12:30 thus afternoon. He did not mention if he fed her but she had not eaten since very early morning. She was walking just disoriented. This all came on pretty sudden. The only symptoms she had was drinking more. The emergency vet said her sugar level was 348 but that she should not be so lathargic. She was keeping her and giving her fluids, a sedative and anti-biopics just incase. The doctor thus morning gave her fluids too and said she was dehydrated. I am so sad and worried but praying everything will be okay. I am willing to do whatever she needs to get her well again. Thank you so much for you input. This is new to me and this forum is very helpful.

JanetNJ, Squalliesmom, Sylvie and 2 others like this.
  7. Nan & Amber (GA)

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

She's in the right place. I hope they can figure things out and help her get better.

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Maybe ketones have developed. Keep us updated on how she is tomorrow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.