My cat now has some type of gum infection need advice>

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ilovebubba, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilovebubba

ilovebubba New Member

Bubba's story is below but now we are at the vets with a new problem and I need some help on what should I be asking/ doing
    Last night Bubba was acting strange, scared, kept licking his lips and keeping his bottom lip open a bit, voice a bit horse, and when he was yawning he couldnt open his mouth the entire way as he normally does. also some twitching in his mouth while sleeping
    I rushed him to the vet this am and the vet is treating him for a mouth infection and states he was running a fever of 104.
    States that his gums were inflamed and he may loose his front tooth. His glucose went from 90's to 122 so something is going on.
    I am beside myself right now, this poor guy cannot catch a break!

he is still eating and has not lost weight, no real smell from his mouth. Please guys what should I be asking?
    I almost lost him last month and I am determined to keep this baby healthy!! Just had a full panel of blood 2 weeks or so ago,
    should I run his blood again? And he also had some special pancrease test the name I think is TDI anyway that was fine as well
    Money has never been an object as this is my love.If we land in the poor house at least we will be together :)
    .Please give me some advice if you can.. This very well may be a gum/ tooth infection but I want to cover my bases and not have anything missed
    I am just super cautious after I almost lost him

Thank You!!!

I am new to the board, and warn you this may be a tad long. My kitty Bubba is five yrs old. In Jan I brought him to the vet because I was smelling a strong smell from his mouth that almost smelled like rubbing alcohol. The vet stated he had a gum infection and gave him med's, ran blood work and also gave him his asthma shot, That night Bubba went down hill fast
    I rushed him in again and told my vet that from what I have just read I feel he has diabetes. Sure enough he did, He stood there almost a week to get regulated and developed fatty liver!!!!
    as he stopped eating. I rushed him to a bigger facility and admitted him ASAP. Bubba is my heart and I cant tell you how lost, sad and insane I became during this.
    He was touch and go for a while.

During that time, I came here and read a lot. I went out and bought all the fancy feast mentioned on that list and swore off all dry food.
    Bubba stood at the new hospital for about a week, didn’t need a feeding tube by the grace of god.
    For about two weeks bubba received insulin at home but during that time he went into some sort of remission and no longer needed it.
    I purchased the Alpha Trak and test him about 3 times per week, His range is 80- 100

This is my main question that I am going crazy with...Bubba can no longer get his asthma shot ..Does anyone have a kitty that has asthma as well as diabetes?
    I don't think the hand held pump device will work with Bubba! He is a tiger when I take his blood :(
    I feel like I have not been able to breathe since Jan, I know that we have made a lot of progress but I watch him like a mad woman and feel afraid I will go thru that nightmare again.. Just being honest..

I bought a Honeywell purifier and do not use the ionic portion as I was told by two vets that the ionic particles released are not good for the lungs of an animal.
    Can you guys give me suggestions on his asthma and what to look for once in remission? thank you so much for the ear!!!

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Many of the cats here on the board have dental issues. Whether it is the mouth infection that leads to high blood sugars, or the high blood sugars leading to dental disease isn't clear (to me).

I am sure the vet is evaluating the level of dental disease and whether Bubba should have a cleaning and maybe extractions. But with a fever I would suggest you want the infection cleared before he undergoes any sort of dental procedure. In rare cases, dental cleaning can drive bacteria into the blood stream, and you don't want that.

You vet is likely going to give Bubba antibiotics, maybe IV, and maybe send you home with a daily antibiotic. One usually targeted to dental problems is Clindamycin. And he likely will be asking you to schedule Bubba for a dental. Info about dentals are on the pet diabetes wiki here.

Let us know how Bubba is doing.

3. SherylandClouseau

SherylandClouseau Member

asthma/diabetes

My Clouseau had asthma for nearly 14 years- in 2002 we started using inhaled meds (check out aerokat.com and fritzthebrave.com). Wayyyyy better than the shots- especially once he too developed diabetes (likely from the shots). Talk to your vet about starting Flovent ASAP- my vet now prescribes the inhaled meds routinely instead of the pills or shots. My greatest wish is that inhaled meds had been available when Clou was first diagnosed. I know that he would never have gotten diabetes and would have had a much longer and healthier life... (I lost him last summer at age 15).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.