My cat tries to sabotage my efforts

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Auora, Mar 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auora

Auora Member

This morning I woke up to Rukia's BG being 33.3 (600), so much higher than normal. I'm wondering what the heck happened - what did she get into this time. Come to find out - there was some pizza bread left on the counter (still in it's packaging of course) and she had gotten into that. Found the empty plastic under my desk.

She's been dumpster diving before; we had to put a brick into the bottom of the trash can so she didn't knock it over. We have to clean every scrap and crumb off the counter tops and off the floor else she'll gobble it up like a little vacuum cleaner. I try to be vigilant about leaving food out.

Have even increased her wet food for the time being since she's so RAVENOUS all the time. But still - she's insatiable. I'm so frustrated aaahhhhhhh.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Unregulated cats are always very hungry. I could never leave anything out on the counter with Sheba even when she was in better numbers. She loved the kitchen bin as well. The higher numbers will be from the pizza bread.
    It looks like you need to increase the dose to 3.25 units.
    Are you posting each day? If you do you will get a lot more feedback
    I would recommend you start posting over on the Lantus page and choose either the Tight Regulation or the Start Slow Go Slow methods and you will get better results.

3. Auora

Auora Member

Not yet, because I'm still waiting to get the 1/2 unit marked syringes I ordered. I know I need to increase the dose, but I don't want to just jump up to 4 units. I plan to start the TR method once I get those in, which will hopefully be sometime next week. (I've been waiting almost 10 days).

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I would certainly not jump up to 4 units.
    You don’t need 1/2 unit markings to dose in increments of 0.25 units. I dosed with 1 unit syringes for several years and went up in 0.25 unit increments. I used a magnifying glass. It’s not ideal but better than just sitting in high numbers.
    The problem with staying where you are with the high numbers is Rukia could well get some insulin resistance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.