My cat was diagnosed with diabetes June 23, 2017

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by CLNB, Jun 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CLNB

CLNB New Member

Shadow was diagnosed with diabetes so I am new to this. Shadow is a 12 year old male. I noticed he was drinking a lot of water and using the litter box alot and didn't seem to be feeling very good. so I found a vet in my area and took him there and he was diagnosed with possible infection and possible problems with his liver. I need advice on how's the best way to take care of him. The vet prescribed insulin shots twice a day and some antibiotics. He wants me to bring him back Monday and they would keep him all day for his glucose. Please give me some advice.

Thank you
    Clnb

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome CLNB and Shadow!
    The weekends do have a little slower traffic so it might help to repost your situation on the Main Health forum :bighug:

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! We can help. Please post on the main health forum and let us know:
    • what insulin you will be using and what dose
    • what you feed Shadow
    • any other health issues or meds he has.

4. CLNB

CLNB New Member

The vet prescribed Pro Zinc insulin 1 ml every 12 hours. I have been getting Rachel Rey nutrish with chicken for his food. The vet also prescribe Clavamox , he thought shadow may have an infection. He is also concerned about his liver. Only 2 days I already see an improvement in Shadow. He has gotten a little feisty. My daughter had a cat that was diabetic and she recommended salmon and sweet potato.
    thanks for your help and advice

Carolyn

5. Clark

Clark Member

Your in the right place. Charlie is doing great because of the suggestion I have had on here.

6. NanD

NanD New Member

See my story. Here is update.
    Update. 30 days after diabetes diagnosed, Tiger BG 92. Staying on 2 units, confident on his way to remission. My local vet says: Remission, if it occurs, usually shows BG numbers in the 60-80 range consistently.

7. NanD

NanD New Member

One week later, Tiger is in remission . Spot test BG 100 yesterday at 2:00PM.

KerriL likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.