My cat was just diagnosed today, and I have a lengthy vacation coming... Not sure what to do

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Krikket, Dec 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krikket

Krikket New Member

My kitty Newton was just diagnosed today. I go back to the vet Monday for the details and starting of the insulin injections. I am not too worried about the injections themselves, the testing is a bit daunting, but I know I will get through it.
    What I am most concerned about is an upcoming 3 week vacation. Newton was an abused cat before we adopted him, so he's very nervous and scared of people. Whenever we have had kitty sitters in the house he hides in the rafters. He does not trust anyone but me and hubby. He will dash downstairs whenever we have company.
    Newton gets extremely stressed out when he is not at home with us, so I'm very apprehensive about boarding. I'm worried that it will be the worst 3 weeks of his life.
    The other option is I stop treatment for those 3 weeks. Just not sure if that's something that would be harmful to him.
    I just want him to be comfortable and healthy at the same time.
    I have 2 other fairly young kitties that keep him company as well so I think he would miss that companionship.
    This is my first post here and I see a lot of information I can't fully understand yet but I'm sure I will soon.

Any feedback would be truely appreciated

- Newton's momma.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Maybe check at the vet’s office if there is a tech who wants to earn a little extra money and do the shots for you. They may be more used to fearful cats. How long until you leave?

What signs led you to discover the diabetes? Going without insulin for three weeks is a long time.

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I would be concerned that ketones may develop if the insulin was not commenced.
    I would try and find a solution rather than withhold the insulin.
    As Wendy said, 3 weeks is a long time to leave commmencing the insulin.

Si am cat mom likes this.
  4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Is it possible to take him with you? We have several members that travel with their cats.

5. jtdlmc

jtdlmc New Member

Have you talked to your vet about this? My cat was just diagnosed last week and we are in pretty much the same situation. The only people who have ever seen Nibbles are the immediate family, she also hides. We are also going on vacation soon. My vet has said some of her patients have gone into remission with change of diet only so that’s what we are trying. Immediately changed her food to canned using the food list linked on this site to find the lowest carb food. After 5 days I have seen a huge decrease in urine output so taking that as a good sign. She also is back to her playful self. Fingers crossed we can manage without insulin.

6. Krikket

Krikket New Member

I think boarding may be the only option in order for him to get his insulin. If someone were to come by they would have a heck of a time getting him out of the rafters. And he could also get defensive and attack which is the last thing that I want to happen.
    We are going to Hawaii from Canada so bringing him is not an option.
    I will be changing out the food within the next few days and also have another appointment with my vet on Monday to go over things.
    He still has a very good appetite, but drinks and pees lots. And also his back legs are pretty weak which is why I brought him to the vet.
    Thanks for the info!

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  7. Jennifer R.

Jennifer R. Member

I would think that either boarding him, or purchasing a kennel to keep him in at home would be the only options, other than bringing him along, because unless he is able to be diet-only controlled, he will definitely have problems without the insulin for 3 weeks. Have you discussed this with his vet? Most cat boarders just have them in small cages, like the ones shelters use, so it seems to me if you want him to be at home with his fur siblings, a cage would be the only way to be sure he gets his shots, unless there is a room you could make into a kennel for him and his fellow kitties that he couldn't escape. Something like this, maybe? https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Adju...e-Leak-Proof/dp/B000I1M76Q?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_3

8. Jennifer R.

Jennifer R. Member

Oh, and look at some of the other posts about treating diabetic neuropathy with B-12

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.