My Diabetic cat is lost/missing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ljtanner, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljtanner

ljtanner New Member

My 12 yr old diabetic cat is missing. 24hrs. He has missed 3 shots. Could he be comatose or worse???I am worried sick.I have looked everywhere. I am so worried he can not get back home. any ideas???Please help

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

hey there. how was he before he went missing? fairly healthy?

take a deep breath cause you have to keep your head about you.

do you have any dry food in the house? does kitty like dry food? if so, calmly walk around, both inside and outside rattling the dry food. perhaps that will lure him out of wherever he is. if you don't have any dry food, try anything that will make the same type of noise, i.e. rice in a sealed container, cereal in a sealed tub of some sort, etc....

ask your neighbors if they've seen him perhaps

and make sure to look absolutely everywhere in the house. about a week ago i couldn't find my diabetic and the turd was in the underside of a recliner sofa thingy

3. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Check everywhere inside the house. Under the bed, in closets, the basement, the attic, in places where you wouldn't normally think a cat would go to hide, etc.

I take it that your cat goes outside? Look around the house, around the neighborhood, ask neighbors. Does your cat wear a collar with ID tags or have a microchip? Maybe notify the local vets and animal shelters just in case someone finds your cat and brings it to one of those places.

4. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Try inside dresser drawers. Or even between the screen door and the outside door.

5. ljtanner

ljtanner New Member

He is outside for sure. He does have a collar w/name & ph#. Could he be comatose since he missed 3 shots

6. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

Is your kitty an indoor cat? If so, thoroughly search the house.

Then, here is a tip I received from the shelter when my civvie cat got loose. Take their kitty litter and sprinkle it throughout the yard. If they were an indoor cat and got out...you have just marked out their territory so they can SMELL it.

It took me three days and a trail of tuna fish to get my civvie back in the house, but he never was very far from home. He was just scared out of his wits and really hungry!

7. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think so. High BGs maybe due to stress, but most likely he hasn't eaten.

Time to get out the favorite foods. I assume he is on can you could try walking around the neighborhood opening a can of cat food. Lid on, lid off, lid on, lid off so it makes that scrappy sound. Plus you'll have food to tempt him with if you do locate him.

Most kitty's don't travel far. 5-10 house either direction.

When my civvie got loose he actually climbed the chainlink into the adjacent park. I thought I has lost him for sure, forever. I was hysterical. To this day I credit the dirty kitty litter tip as what got him close enough to come home.

8. ljtanner

ljtanner New Member

Thank you I will continue to look. I should have kept in in all the time. He is getting older/slower. I don't think I will get a 2nd chance. I am really sad...I better go look again. Seems like no one else in this family gives a hoot. That makes it worse

9. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

can you leave a garage door or sliding glass door open slightly over night, and put his food and litter in there? Maybe when the activity of the day quiets down, he'll come back.

My mom's cat got out twice, both times they looked everywhere and couldn't find her, and both times when it got dark they turned off all the lights and pretended to go to bed, and she soon showed up on the back porch. She was just too scared with the lights on, I guess.

Shake a box of pasta, maybe if he's nearby he'll think it's dry food and come running.

Also, a friend who helps with an animal rescue suggests going door to door in the neighborhood and TALKING to neighbors, don't just leave a flyer. Some people won't bother to respond to a flyer, but if you ask them to their face they might say "oh yeah, I saw this cat run under the neighbor's porch yesterday."

10. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Prayers coming that you find your kitty. One suggestion is to put his litter box outside.....familiar smell of home.

11. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Sending lots of prayers your way and 'come home' vibes.

Make up some fliers that you can pass out around the neighborhood.

It is important you do this as soon as possible. Cat's usually do not roam
    far at first, but the longer you wait.....

My patches went missing 25 years ago, and she turned up locked into
    the neighbor's garage. Neighbors had gone on vacation and she
    had wandered into their garage before they left and closed the garage door.

Slowly walk around the neighborhood....nearest houses first, call her name and
    then be quiet and LISTEN in each location for her to respond.

My heart goes out to you.

12. Michele&Molly

Michele&Molly Member

I am so sorry you are going through this now. And i can totally understand the pain associated with the family not being as concerned as you. Last year, my sister's cat went missing and after how ever many days, the kids asked her "If Kurby doesn't come home, can we get a puppy instead?" That hurt her just as much as the cat being missing!

We can't be there to help you look for your cat but we are all here to support you during this time. Please write often if you feel like it - we're all here for you.

My thought and prayers, Michele

p.s. My sister's cat Kurby showed up 14 days later. Please continue to have hope.

13. velma & pooka

velma & pooka Member

Just saw your post. Am sending prayers. Have you found him?

14. Maureen & Sammy

Maureen & Sammy Member

I have been worrying about your cat all day. They're right when they say that cats have a limited territory and a good sense of direction. Leave your door propped open and go to your immediate neighbors and demand that they open their garages and cellars even their attic (one lost a cat to my next door neighbor's attic). I also once lost a civvie cat in a hotel room. After we ripped the room apart like a frat party we found her in a rip in the box spring (and the usually talkative little beast said nothing during the whole exerise). I also lost a civvie office cat in a garage on my own office property.

15. ljtanner

ljtanner New Member

Sad to say he has not come back. I fear the worst...he has been gone 48+ hours. I have my porch door open w/food waiting. I have seached everywhere I can think including sheds,garages. I think he would come back if he could....this sucks....if he is gone I hope he did not suffer
    Thank you for all your prayers

16. Maureen & Sammy

Maureen & Sammy Member

If he's feeling poorly, he's going to find himself a space that protects his back> He's there somewhere - like under a Hosta plant - within, say, 200 feet of you. Have you noticed that he leaves your property much?

17. Melissa&Paul-Kyle

Melissa&Paul-Kyle Well-Known Member

I am sorry your sweet kitty has gone missing.

Can you place an ad in you local paper w/description and the fact he is diabetic? Also, make up flyers with most recent photo and tack to phone poles and billboards, at vets office, grocery, post office, library, etc...

Among the other things you are doing, I think I would take recent litter box litter and put small piles around yard to attract him back to home.

When he does some back home, please let us know.

18. Blue and Freddies Mom

Blue and Freddies Mom Member

Hi,

I'm praying for the safe return of your kitty cat. I have had some experience with this, both times it turned out fine. Our diabetic got out in our summer rental in a fairly rural place. I was completely freaked out. No one had seen him at all. He did miss 3 shots and I assume he had no food--unless mice. 24hrs later we were coming back from searching and guess who is looking totally normal waiting at the front door for us. He was no worse for wear! The 2nd time our civvie got out. Also gone for 24hrs. There was a wind storm and he got freaked out. I agree that they tend to not go far. I asked the dog walkers in our park across the road if they had seen him, someone said that she had heard a cat meowing across from her house late the night before. I searched in that area and found him in a crawl space under someones house 3 doors down from us. He meowed as soon as he heard me in their driveway--it had been 24 degrees that night, but he seemed fine. Do give a call round to local vets and shelters. Best of luck.

19. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Praying for your cat to show up soon :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

20. Allie & Myrtle (GA)

Allie & Myrtle (GA) Well-Known Member

I know how bad this is, not knowing.
    My Myrtle went missing for a week in mid-winter the first year I had her. It was the worst week of my life. She was quite young then and curious, and not diabetic.
    I tried everything imaginable, including ringing the City Council who keep a register of dead pets that people have reported, e.g. on the road, to be collected :sad:

I put flyers around everywhere for blocks away from my home, offering a big reward as an incentive for people to check sheds and garages.
    She turned up exactly one week later, on a Sunday, so I'm guessing she got shut in some weekend gardener's shed. She was hungry and very upset, but not really as bad as I might have expected. They are very resilient!
    When she became diabetic many years later, I was a bit slow to get her treated, not realising. So she must have been without insulin that she needed for a fair while. I'm sure your cat will be OK from that point of view.

It is a terrible worry, and even those here who haven't experienced this hellish nightmare themselves can imagine how bad you feel.

Sending heartfelt prayers for his return. :sad:

21. Cindy and Patches

Cindy and Patches Member

I am sending prayers for both of you. Please keep us posted. Sending come home vibes...

22. ljtanner

ljtanner New Member

Still not back. :YMSIGH:

23. Iorwen & Tray

Iorwen & Tray Well-Known Member

Sending prayers your way that your cat will be found safely and quickly.

24. Maureen & Sammy

Maureen & Sammy Member

I would suspect that he's trapped someplace. Go back over the same ground. Don't give up. Try to think like him. Which direction would he be likely to go? Start there. What do you see? Go up to any buildings. Call him. Listen closely. They don't go that far. Make like a clock and go around in a circle. I'm telling you from my experience he's not that far away.

25. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

(((ljtanner))) :YMHUG:
    Baby went missing 7 years ago & this pet detective saved my life & Baby's too. Please give him serious consideration & if you want to know more - ask away. I have a testimonial on his site (Nicole & Baby from October 2003) Pet Detective

Kitty is not far away, but very close - they do not go far. He hears you, but is scared to come out. Think of it as a human being too scared to scream, their lil bodies are paralyzed with fear. I have a lot of suggestions & am available for a phone call too.

**Edited to include my testimonial here, also on the website**

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003
    Mr. Washington,

I just wanted to take the time to formally thank you from the bottom of my heart. You are the most amazing man & I am completely impressed with your abilities & the amazing job you did by finding my cat. You sent me a profile & assured me that if I follow those steps, that I stood a great chance at finding my Baby. I DID!!!! I owe my life & my cat's life to you!! You have more than impressed me & I look forward to spreading the good word of your work. I want you to know that you can use my name anywhere, anytime for a reference. I plan on writing the local news stations here in Kansas City & also writing the Kansas City Star on the amazing Pet Detective you are. I called you many times & you were always helpful, kind & well educated on finding my cat. I first called you & had my profile within 1 hour & then had found my cat in less than 24 hours after placing the initial phone call to you. I thought I had looked everywhere & in your profile you hit the exact spot where she was. If I said thank you all day, every day; it would never express the gratitude I have towards you.

Thank you & may good blessings be with you & yours.

Nicole St John

26. Maureen & Sammy

Maureen & Sammy Member

Sounds like a darn good idea, Nicole

27. Nicole & Baby

I just spoke with him, he said you are welcome to call his cell phone now Cell Phone: 706-339-2418 (Carl Washington)

ETA: Not removing phone number because it is available on Mr. Washington's website.

28. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

29. Heather & Seasaidh (GA)

Heather & Seasaidh (GA) Member

I pray that he comes home safe and sound soon!

30. ljtanner

ljtanner New Member

I called and sent an email to the pet detective. Thanks for that info!! Do you know his fees? I am worried I will not have enough $. I really am thinking the worst..dare I say... coyotes
    omg I hope not. He is such a home cat he. As everyone has said they do not go far. He never was far. I could call and he would come. We NEVER let him stay out all night. This was a warm night and quite often when it is warm he does not want to come in....My son who is in college will be devastated,this really is his cat :cry:

31. ljtanner

ljtanner New Member

Spoke with the pet detective! At the very least at this point he made me realize my fear of coyote/fox is most likely unfounded as they have plenty of food and would not attack a cat. Yay I hope that is true. Now to put his plan into action....renewed hope

32. Maureen & Sammy

Maureen & Sammy Member

Go for it girl

33. Nicole & Baby

Great news!!!! Soooooo happy you called him, he literally saved my Baby's life!! It was costly, but well worth it!! PLEASE let me know how it all turns out!!

34. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

Been watching this thread in the hopes that your boy had returned - so sad to see he still hasn't.

Sending lots and lots of prayers that he does return or that you find him safe -

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

35. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

I am so sorry that you are going through this. Sending prayers that he returns home safely. Have you called your local news station? It wouldn't hurt to try. You never know if some neighbor has taken him in... if he looked a bit under the weather cat_pet_icon I would definitely give it a try. The one thing that may get their attention is that he's a FD kitty. Good luck! and try all the local stations :YMHUG:

36. Theresa and Simba (GA)

Theresa and Simba (GA) Member

Sorry to read about your lost cat. Be sure to call the local county animal control for your area. If they had any feral cat traps out in your area with food in them, a hungry diabetic cat would surely take the bait. Find out where they take them and go look. Years ago my cat found himself in that situation. Had to bail him out. Best wishes finding your baby.

37. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

been keeping up with this thread. I so hope the pet detective can help you find your kitty ... miracles happen every single day!

38. ceil99

ceil99 Member

any news yet? Where do you live?

39. Cindy and Patches

Cindy and Patches Member

Still sending prayers.... contact local vet offices. They may have treated a sick cat that matches your baby. Hugs!

40. Bonnie Dune

Bonnie Dune New Member

Not knowing is a very hard one. Our most heartfelt sympathies.
    We live remotely, and one of our cats didn't come home. We put out flyers near us, and also on the main roads that lead to our community. After ten days we got a call. One of our neighbors that has a summer house called.
    Put out flyers with a photo for as long as you need to - someone could have offered a scared cat a home, or know some information. I had put out flyers in the beginning... but not until I put a big picture of our "Morgan" did we get a response.
    If you don't have a printer - Kinkos or Walmart can print out photos for you. Make the picture the biggest part of the flyer.
    Prayers and well wishes and hugs.

41. ceil99

ceil99 Member

Any updates yet?

42. ljtanner

ljtanner New Member

Sorry to say Louie has not come back. I have posted flyers and did go to kinkos and got extra large ones. Almost everyone in my neighborhood knows.I have posted to every web site I have found. I used an amber type alert that called 250 homes in my area. Another site sends posters to all shelters and Vet offices. I may have even found someone elses lost cat in my search:) So I guess if I have helped a kitty.... My lou is missed so much. I unfortuneately saw a very large coyote trotting down my street last night, so I now again believe this was the fate of my guy. There is alot of wooded area so I will continue to search. Thank you for all your players and well wishes. I haven't given up yet.....

43. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

And we won't give up either.

Sending lots of prayers for your kitty's safety.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

44. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you haven't found your baby yet. Perhaps I missed this, but have you asked to put notices up at the local schools? Kids area often the first to spot missing animals.

45. ljtanner

ljtanner New Member

Today I had a pet tracker and her golden tracking my Louie for 4+ miles. He has gone in an area I have not looked or posted. Spoke with two people who thought they had seen him. The scent went cold in a school playground and I left photo/flyer. The tracker feels he was picked up here. This very well may be true. If he was feeling safe he is drawn to people and noise. Well renewed hope again!! Sooo tired from that trek mostly threw wooded areas over trees ander brush. Wish I was a bit younger.

46. Iorwen & Tray

Iorwen & Tray Well-Known Member

Oh I have been praying for some good news for you. hope is indeed renewed! I will keep hoping and wishing good thoughts and praying for a happy ending for you.

47. Maureen & Sammy

Maureen & Sammy Member

keep plugging

48. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Come home, kitty!!!!

~M

49. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Praying you are re-united with your kitty.

50. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Perhaps you can talk to the school administrator and ask him/her to distribute flyers with picture to teachers that they can show to the students in their classes. I can see a kid picking him up. "Mom, he followed me home....Can I keep him?"

51. Elisa and Jagger

Elisa and Jagger Member

I know what it feels like to lose a kitty. I lost my Blackie for 3 days. I actually knew where he was under a house but he would not come out and I couldn't see him. I was frantic. Sending Prayers that your Louis comes home too you soon safe and sound.

52. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

here's hoping the school is the answer and you can find him very soon!

Attached Files:

53. Steve and Blue

Steve and Blue Member

It's very unusual for cats to travel great distances when lost. If memory serves it is usually within 1/2 mile or so. The problem is that when they are scared they are very quiet and hesitant to show themselves. I've had two cats lost and found and both times they were within earshot of the house. In any case good job with the flyers and the APB - the more eyes the better. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.