My first blood glucose on Kyee. Meter says 21 can some one help me?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kylee and Her Mom Renee', Oct 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kylee and Her Mom Renee'

Kylee and Her Mom Renee' Member

I just bought Kylee's glucose meter. She ate 3 hours ago. I gave her the insulin at the same time. She is not acting right. Skiddish, doesn't want to be with me. She is now under the bed. I did her first BG and the Relion Confirem meter says 21ng? I don't like this meter....so maybe I need to learn to use it....I can't go back to see if is was ng...mg or what.....
    So after the BG I gave her some can cat food...now she is hiding under the bed.....help please. Was she just freaked out about the pricking? She and I as you all know are going through a lot.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

You need to get her out from under the bed and get another test.

Squeaky and KT (GA) likes this.
  3. Sharon14

Squeaky and KT (GA) likes this.
  4. Sharon14

Hope everything is ok. Please check in and let us know

5. Kylee and Her Mom Renee'

Thank you. She went into hypoglycemia. She had pooped under my bed and went up again the wall and looked like she could not focus, like the room was spinning for her. I checked her blood, the glucometer said low. I gave her Manuka honey and offered her dry food. I gave her a little more honey. She started to purr and know I was helping her. I gave her first dry food. She finally ate some. I called the vet and sat with her and made sure she ate. I told the vet office what I did. They said that was the right thing to do. But the glucometer was not accurate.....She ate her can food and is laying in the sunshine. I will continue to watch her. Oh my gosh. I was so scared, but I kept calm for her.

6. Sharon14

Thank goodness you were testing! I’m glad she’s ok, when was her last test? Please go to the Lantus forum, they can help you avoid future hypos!

7. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Whew! I'm so glad she's ok!!!

8. Kylee and Her Mom Renee'

Thank you. I am so glad you all were here and I printed out information on how to handle the hypo.

Sharon14 and Jill & Alex (GA) like this.
  9. Kylee and Her Mom Renee'

Me too. Thank you. We both are tired.

10. Jill & Alex (GA)

Have you tested her again? How long has it been since you gave her honey and kibble? The effects of the honey and kibble could wear off and she could drop again. We want to make sure that doesn't happen.

11. Jill & Alex (GA)

Renee', if you see this please test Kylee again. It's possible for her BG numbers to drop again when the effects of the honey and kibble wear off.

I'm *guessing* we're coming up on about 8 hours (8 pm) since you gave the shot *around* noon. Is that correct?
    • Preshot approximately 12 noon - no test - 2u Lantus
    • +3 (3 hours after the shot) approximately 3 pm - 21mg/dL
    • BG registered LO
    • gave honey and kibble
    Cats often become highly sensitive to insulin after a hypo. Please post in the Lantus forum for help (the blue font is a clickable link which will take you to the forum). Put "Help! Need advice after hypo" in the subject line. They will advise you as to whether you should give the second shot tonight or if you should skip til morning. They will also suggest a reduced dose.

I'll try to check back later...

Sharon14 likes this.
  12. Kylee and Her Mom Renee'

Her shot was at 9:30am. It was an hour over her time to get her shot. I instructed my hubby to give her a little food when he got up. It must have been 7am when he gave her some canned food. She has been so hungry so I thought this would help until I got up. I woke up when he left for work. I did not wake until 9:30. I got her food right away and her shot. She was not acting normal all morning. I tested her at 12:30 before she went under the bed. I checked on her 2, I think. That was when I needed to give her the honey. I feel like I did something wrong to cause this. It is now 7:20 and she ate some food, groomed and went back to sleep. I will try to test her again. I am so concerned but try to keep calm. My hubby is on his way home from his long day. So I am glad I have all the sweet members here to support me.Thank you.

13. Jill & Alex (GA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.