My Greta... my diva... my angel

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

This wasn't supposed to happen... but I have another angel today.

I took Greta and Robbie in for dentals... Robbie is getting his teeth cleaned and a CBC/chem, repeat fPLI and IGF-1 testing.

I knew Greta's mouth was bad... but she was supposed to have her teeth cleaned and some removed... she was supposed to come home.

There was a tumor the size of a grape under her tongue... at the base... no way to operate... no doubt as to what it was.

It was supposed to be her kidneys that took her... diabetes insipidus is even more rare than acromegaly... I thought it would be her kidneys... slowly taking her from me... not squamous cell carcinoma that came on so quickly... she was supposed to come home...

She was my diva... my girl... I was her person...

From the moment I met her in the shelter 4 years ago... she was so afraid to get too far from her water bowl... so I brushed her mats while she drank... then she climbed on my lap and gave me the most direct, "I love you" look... she was mine... and I was hers...

Jennifer (tuckersmom) and I talked... about what a beautiful girl she was... that she needed a beautiful name... so she was named Greta... after Greta Garbo.

Treating the DI was so easy... shots of desmopressin twice a day... the hardest thing was realizing she needed so much more than the few other DI kitties I knew of... 6u bid... but within a day of coming home she was so much better... she could leave the water bowl... she wasn't running for the litter box within minutes of drinking... she met Fletcher and became enamored... a few months later Rex came home... the trio was complete. As long as Greta had her boys, she didn't care about the other 5 cats.

Greta and Fletcher would curl up next to each other at night... so they could curl up next to me. When we lost Fletcher, Greta had Rex... they comforted each other.

Then, just 3 weeks ago, Rex was gone, too... and Greta was so sad... she cried... calling for him...

She is with her boys again...

[​IMG]

2. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((CAROLYNN)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

3. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

What a beautiful kitty she was. I pray she is enjoying her reunion with Fletcher and Rex.

4. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

{{{{{{Carolyn}}}}}} on your loss...Prayers with you to get through this and strength for your other babies...

5. nancy and payne

nancy and payne Well-Known Member

Carolyn,
    Oh, what a wonderful relationship you had with her, I am so sorry ..... I have lost four in the
    past year, and reading about your babies has left me in tears. They will be waiting at the bridge,
    and how wonderful the love you and Greta both shared, she is snuggling now in your heart ....
    Nancy

6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Sharing tears...

7. Mowgli and Keri

Mowgli and Keri Member

I am so so sorry to hear of your unexpected loss of your VERY beautiful Greta! She IS with her Boyz now and out of any discomfort..
    I am also in tears here, and sending you prayers and so many hugs!
    Sounds like she was an amazing girl, thank you for sharing some of your relationship with us!

8. karen and splash (ga)

karen and splash (ga) Member

Greta who taught me what love a Diva can bring into a home so I could better understand Friday and LB. Greta with her beautiful colors and spirit.

Listen, when the house is quiet, listen for Greta and her boys to visit and comfort you. They will, you will just have to listen.

9. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

What a beautiful girl and what a beautiful story :( I'm so sorry. Fly free Greta!

10. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

((Carolynn)) I am so very sorry. I can feel how sad you are. I know it is so painful for you but yes, she is with her boys again and they are all talking about how wonderful you are. Fly free sweet Greta!!

11. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

You gave her a wonderful loving home. Fly free sweet Greta!
    (((((((((Carolynn)))))))))

12. Michelle and Doodle

Michelle and Doodle Member

I'm so so sorry Carolynn.
    *tears*

13. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

((( Carolynn )))

I'm so, so sorry, Carolynn. What a sweet kitty, her time with you was too short. Glad she didn't suffer from this, maybe a blessing that it was caught the way it was. Together again, watching over you from the bridge.

Keeping you close in thoughts and prayers for peace, so much loss in such a short time.

14. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I'm so very sorry ...

15. OLM Catnip Cottage

OLM Catnip Cottage Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry to hear this. She was so beautiful and must be the loveliest angel. May God comfort you now in this difficult time.

16. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

((Carolynn)) I am so very sorry for your loss of Greta..My prayers are with you.

Pattie

17. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Life isn't fair.

18. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

carolynn, crying for you here. it's just not fair.
    she was so lucky to have you. it was her time and you did the only thing you could.
    very glad you had each other for the time you had, and that you both felt such love.
    (((Carolynn)))

19. Girlcat

Girlcat Member

And God asked the feline spirit
    Are you ready to come home?
    Oh, yes, quite so, replied the precious soul
    And, as a cat, you know I am most able
    To decide anything for myself.

Are you coming then? asked God.
    Soon, replied the whiskered angel
    But I must come slowly
    For my human friends are troubled
    For you see, they need me, quite certainly.

But don't they understand? asked God
    That you'll never leave them?
    That your souls are intertwined. For all eternity?
    That nothing is created or destroyed?
    It just is....forever and ever and ever.

Eventually they will understand,
    Replied the glorious cat
    For I will whisper into their hearts
    That I am always with them
    I just am....forever and ever and ever.

Author Unknown

20. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

(((((Carolynn))))) I am so sorry. [​IMG]

21. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Sweet & beautiful Greta...I'm so sorry for your loss.

Greta, you are snuggling with your boys. Sweet dreams little one.

22. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

(((((Carolynn)))))
    I am so very sad for your loss.
    Wishing you comfort and peace.

wings_cat Fly free, dear Greta...

23. sanrun

sanrun Member

((Carolynn)) I'm so sorry you lost another kitty. :sad:

:YMHUG: Sandy - Dottie, Tilly & Jeter

24. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

Oh no. How shocking to have this happen. I am so sorry, Carolynn. This is exactly what happened to my McKaela. Base of tongue SC cancer. Bad stuff. ((CAROLYNN)) They are together now. Donna

25. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Tears. (((((((Carolyn))))))) I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.
    Greta is back with her boys. Bless you Greta. wings_cat Fly Free Sweet Girl

26. Dale

Dale Member

Dearest Carolynn,

I am sorry to hear about Greta's diagnosis and your hard, hard but loving decision to let her go before she experienced days filled with pain. You gave her so much...a home of her own, love, medicine for her DI, companionship of other kitties to snuggle/play/groom with. So much giving and I know she gave to you too. She taught you a lot about DI and you in turn taught others about this very treatable disease. Your words were so soothing and articulant describing the disease and how easily it is to treat. Greta made that possible for you to reach out and teach. Bless you Greta for all that you brought into Carolynn's life. You will be missed, but not forgotten.

Dale and Paddy who is still living with DI.

27. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

(((((Carolyn)))))) I'm so sorry ...... It is a good thing she didn't suffer but what a shock for you. She is with the boys now and I'm sure she is missing her Mommy. You will all be together again one day.

Fly free beautiful girl.....

28. hollyall

hollyall Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending you hugs and prayers. A few years ago, I lost three sweet kitties that I had grown up with all within about a year. It was devastating.

29. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

(((Carolynn))) i am so sorry :cry:
    fly free, Beautiful Girl

30. fourcatsmama

fourcatsmama Member

Many...many tears... I am so very sorry.

31. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

Sending lots and lots of hugs and comforting prayers your way - I'm so sorry that Greta had to leave - she's now with the two boys she loved so much - they're running and playing - free of pain - and snuggling again.

My heart goes out to you in your sadness.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

32. Fluffmiester

Fluffmiester Member

I am so sorry for your loss. I know that she is thankful that she had such a wonderful mother and that your loved her so much. I believe that someday we will be together again with our pets and I am sure she will be the first to greet you. :cry: Rose

33. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

we are all heartbroken for you.
    only the thought of her curled up with fletcher and rex at the bridge brings any comfort.
    SCC is cruel, hides, all happens too fast... all you've been through....just doesn't feel fair. too many losses, too much pain.
    i am so deeply sorry.
    know that there are so many people that even though they cannot be with you physically their hearts and thoughts are with you carolynn. ((((hugs))))

fly free sweet baby girl greta.....
    fly to your handsome loving boys, they will take care of you.
    fly to that place where there is no cancer, no DI, no acro, or FD, or CKD, nothing but everlasting youth and perfect health.
    and wait for that one day when all will be together again, never to be separated.

~jojo

34. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Another beautiful angel is flying free.
    So sorry for the loss of your Greta.
    wings_cat

In deepest sympathy,
    Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

35. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

I don't know what to say, really... "thank you" seems so inadequate...

I'm still in shock... reeling... I want to wake up from this bad dream.

There's no need for the tray in front of the litter box (Greta didn't like to pee in the litter, she liked the tray)... no one else uses her fountain... no one else likes the comb I used on her beautiful, silky fur... there's no beautiful furry diva following me into my closet to help me decide what to wear...

I gave Robbie his insulin and Buprinex this morning... and I got a syringe and drew up Greta's desmopressin... then I remembered she isn't here...

So I threw the syringe across the room...

This is so unfair... unfair to me... why are my kitties leaving me? What have I done to deserve this???

It's unfair to them, too... they were all happy... why did Fletcher have to go into sudden, irreversible kidney failure? Why did Honey have to waste away, be in pain, bleed from her nose when she finally had food and love? Why couldn't Rex's hyperT be treated so he wouldn't have thrown a clot that left him in pain and unable to walk? Why did Greta have to have SCC when having DI was enough?

Dammit... she was supposed to come home...

she was supposed to come HOME...

36. HollyandSpader(GA)

HollyandSpader(GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry. There are no words I can use to make you feel better.

Sending good thoughts from here.

37. Natalia & Enana

Natalia & Enana Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. :hug:

38. Suzanne + Nemo (GA)

Suzanne + Nemo (GA) Member

I'm so sorry for your loss - too soon. There is a special place for diva kitties in our hearts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.