"My hope is high"

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tiger-Hobo, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiger-Hobo

Tiger-Hobo Member

Do I put my hopes too high?? Should (I am) be happy??? I afraid even write it down, do we doing to the right direction? Please check Kangaroo’s SS and advice -what is your opinion?

2. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Hi Susanna!

Are you hoping he's headed for remission? Is that it?

I see a couple of things.

One is that I want to strongly encourage you to get at least one test in both the day and night cycle that's somewhere in the middle of the cycle. You simply don't know how low the dose is taking him without getting mid-cycle tests. Usually the preshot tests are the highest, and in order to keep him safe, you really have to know how low the dose is taking him.

A second thing i see is that you have reason to be hopeful! He's got some great preshots going right now and it looks like his numbers are moving into the normal range (50-120).

The third thing i see is that he's got good momentum going with these dose reductions. You've decreased very quickly, though, and sometimes you can lose momentum and see the numbers trend back up. Normally we would reduce by 0.25u each time we saw a number under 50.

Can you fix the amps on 5/21? I'm wondering if that's a 69 or something else.

Just a reminder that dosing with Lantus isn't based upon the preshot numbers. If you change the dose too often you'll see wonky numbers. It looks like you're deciding what to shoot based upon the preshot numbers. If you're wanting him to become diet-controlled, you'll want to keep the dose steady regardless of the preshot numbers and then just test him to see where that dose is taking him. I think the changing dose is part of the reason you're sometimes seeing blue preshots and sometimes seeing green.

If i were you, i'd probably take him back up to 2.0u and test at least twice in each cycle, then if he goes below 50, reduce him to 1.75u.

I just really want to encourage you to get the mid-cycle tests in. It scares me - Kangaroo is doing really well but i wouldn't want you to assume that he can't have a hypoglycemic episode just because you haven't had one yet. If you're relying on symptoms to tell you if he's low, most cats on Lantus don't have symptoms of low numbers unless it's really really low - like in the 20's or lower. I've heard of 2 cats recently that had temporary blindness from symptomatic hypos. I'm not meaning to scare you (or maybe i am, if it will keep Kangaroo safe) but Kangaroos numbers are close to normal right now and you just don't know how low he's going.

3. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

It's looking better for sure.. Touch wood anti jinx.

But don't drop the dose too fast, you want to ease off slowly to allow the pancreas to pick up the slack and not overwhelm it. I would go back to 1.5 units (or see what the others think) and give it a week. If she holds 40-130 for a week, or at any time drops below 50, then decrease by a quarter unit. It will take time but it's worth it to allow the pancreas to slowly pick up the slack.

Also she may get stuck at a lower dose,

Let's see

4. Tiger-Hobo

Tiger-Hobo Member

Yes, I am hoping to go to remission again, I /we had a chance some time ago and we blow it.
    Both of you right , and even I know I dropped the dose too much, and yes Julie (I know I am wrong) I give the dose by the pre shot number. The reason for it, because I am not home and I afraid he will go too low. That is the reason, why I skip sometimes, thinking better if he goes up high with no shot as go too low.
    I will try to do pm curve too, maybe when I am off. I know I am so selfish, since I am not getting to much sleep daily 4-5 hours the max, because of my double job I have a hard time to stay up/sacrifice a night. OK I promise I will do it, because bugs me too, I would like to know the lowest number. Kangaroo so sweet and cooperative, I don't want to danger him.

5. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

i didn't remember you worked 2 jobs. that does make it super hard.

i don't want to give you a hard time - i just wouldn't want kangaroo to be at risk. it is better to skip if you have any doubts and he can't be monitored.

6. Tiger-Hobo

Tiger-Hobo Member

Julie I know, you concerns and I do really appreciate that. You are not giving me hard time, I am worried and scared every day, when I leave to work or go to bed for him. I will do over night readings so maybe even I can feel better, by knowing his numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.