My Husband Still Agrees With The Vet

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Angela & Blackie & 3 Others, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

After all this time, and what I'm doing to help Blackie, he still seems to think that if we had kept her on the Hill's Prescription W/D wet, and dropped her insulin to 1 unit BID, she would be fine. I have kept telling him that carbs are NOT good for a diabetic. PROTEIN is. But, he still thinks that I'm doing the wrong thing. We almost got into an argument last night over this. I just about told him, "Fine, YOU treat her, and YOU do all the research, and if YOU think you know better than I, then YOU take over her care. You'll end up killing if you do this."

I thought he was with me on this. Seems like I'm still alone. Mind you, when the vet sees the #'s Blackie's giving me, I'm sure that the vet will know that what I'm doing is right.

He just doesn't get it. Perhaps he should just shut the heck up and leave me alone to deal with her. Alone. Yes, I'm quite ticked at him right now, but I tell him that, we'll just end up arguing. There's enough stress in this house that you can cut it with a butter knife.

2. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

I had to [permanently] eject my long time GF during our battle with diabetes. She wasn't up to the job of giving me the support I needed. Better to learn that now rather than later I guess :roll: I'll be happy to have a word with your DH if you like - mano y mano as it were. ;-)

Sorry to hear of your added stress.

3. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Hi Angela, I am sorry to hear you're going through this stress. I kind of went through the same thing with my DH. Hang in there! I've been away from the board for awhile, so I need to go back and read up on your postings.

Sending you positive vibes today. :YMHUG:

4. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

I'll deal with this added stress. My main priority is MY cat, Blackie, and her wellbeing. I know in my heart and mind that I'm doing the right thing by her. IF I had still followed his advice, Blackie certainly wouldn't be alive today, especially after her hypo episode a week ago Tuesday. He wouldn't know what to do for her to bring her back. He would've certainly killed her, though. And I don't think I would've forgiven him for that.

Thank you, Gator. *HUGS* I'll see how it goes for now. Maybe after the vet sees the #'s, he'll/she'll realize that what I'm doing is good for Blackie. I intend to win this battle. There are 2 vets that are part of her case as there are 3 vets in total... They're all in rotation each weekend.

5. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Sheesh, I'm sorry that your husband isn't on the bandwagon yet. It's stressful enough to deal with FD, you don't need any extra stress! I hope he either gets on board or gets out of your way soon! (Maybe tell him that if you aren't getting results in a month, you'll consider his way?) ;-)

6. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Nope, I won't consider his way at all. He wants me to put her back on that crappy diet that she was on before. The high carb one. No way. Uh uh. It ain't happenin'. Besides, he's not the one treating her. I am. I'm taking her blood every day. I'm feeding her. I'm checking her urine for ketones every other day. I give her the shots each day. I refuse to let him touch her other than to pet her and perhaps pick her up. He simply doesn't get the carb thing. Carb gets turned into sugar in the body. Simple. NO diabetic cat gets carbs in their diet. Only protein.

I'm curious to see what the vet has to say about her #'s this weekend. Should be interesting.. providing we actually do see the vet.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

angela have him read my post in squishy's latest thread "+3 43" to see what kibble did to my tom. and prescription diet is the worst overpriced crap out there.

8. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

I'll try, but I can't guarantee that he'll actually read it.

I'm sorry about your baby. I know what you went through as I went through it with Blackie. It wasn't pleasant, and I had a crash course on dealing with a hypo cat. Hope I don't have to go through that again.

I agree with you on the prescription diet. I wondering what the "W/D" stands for anyway? "Weight/Diet"? Surely, it's not "Weight/Diabetes", is it?

9. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

I think the "d" in their products is always diet, so weight makes sense for the W. The diabetic food is actually m/d, I figure the m is for diabetes "M"ellitus? As far as I understand it, the thinking that W/D would help diabetes is at least a decade old, but I don't follow the food stuff too closely so I might be confused on that. The m/d is actually lower carb than their other foods, but still not a great quality food from what I understand, plus you can get lower carbs OTC, and cheaper.

10. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

After putting Blackie on the FF wet diet, I'm not changing her diet again just to appease my husband and/or the vet. Besides, once the vet (who IS more knowledgeable about diabetes than hubby is), sees her #'s, and what I've been doing, I'm pretty sure that she'll side with me, leaving poor hubby out. (YEAH! LOL) After all, the vet wants to have lower #'s, not higher ones. Perhaps he/she (whoever we get at the time), will realize that a moderate protein diet will help diabetes, and maybe he/she may pass that information on to any other diabetic kitty out there that they may come across in the future. Who knows.

11. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

hi angela. i am sorry to hear you are going through this. my hubby was thankfully very helpful. does your DH ever read anything on here about what other people are doing and how much success they have had. i was doing what my vet told me to, then i got on here and changed everything!!! started with the wet fancy feast diet only and 1 unit of insulin. squishy is now 4 days without any insulin. have him look at my spread sheet. that is proof enough that the wet diet and low and slow on the insulin works like magic! hope he comes around soon, it would make things a lot easier on you and your little kitty!

12. Joanna & Bix (GA)

I can't find whatever I read before about W/D as the out-of-date approach to diabetes, but here is one link that talks about a study that compared the high-fiber approach (W/D) to the low-carb approach:

http://felinediabetes.com/DietaryRecs_Greco.htm

Scroll down to where it says "Study 2". It's in vet-speak ;-) so might be something your vet would be interested in seeing? Just a thought. :) Maybe hubby would be more on board if the vet is onboard, and then that would take some of the pressure off you.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hey, you can explain to him that in the long run this diet has a better chance of putting blackie in remission thus no more expense for insulin, test strips, lancets, etc. just food.
    he may like that concept :mrgreen: on the dry you'll be shooting forever which is pretty much a guarantee. anyone ever hear on a cat going into remission on a kibble diet?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

btw, angela how did you know i went thru a hypo with tomtom? i don't remember mentioning that and it happened back in 07 before we went otj.

15. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Lori, it was a guess. :) You and I have never met before today, or if you're on the main message board, we may have met there, too. *shrug*

16. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I just posted Blue's last report from Camp. I talked about the carb % experiment I did. You may want to share that and Blue's ss with him as proof that even a small amount of carbs can raise the bg levels.

good luck with your spouse.

17. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Thank you. If this subject comes up again, I'll show him, providing he'll actually listen. Right now, I'm not saying a danged thing to him.

18. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Lori, this is where I got the information from with regards to your baby becoming hypo. I simply put 2 and 2 together as kibble did the same thing to my Blackie as it did to your tom.

On that note, this morning I simply told hubby that carbs turns into sugar in the body, and protein does not. I told him that the W/D formula, be it wet or dry, was crap, and wasn't doing her any good. He didn't say anything, and I was waiting for another argument. LOL Good man for keeping his mouth shut this morning. I'm not in the mood for his disagreements.

19. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Angela, I wasn't suggesting that you should go back to the W/D, no way! What I said was that IF you aren't getting results in a month, you would consider his way. We all know you are getting results already, and certainly will continue to over the next month, so you wouldn't even have to "consider" his way at all! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I just thought it might be subtle way to diffuse the argument. Ya know, we have to let the men think they have a say in things sometimes.... :mrgreen: (Sorry Gator!)

I DO like Joanna's suggestion about the study, I would absolutely take that for the vet to read. I agree that if you can get the vet on board, hubby will probably have to get on board too.

20. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Did everyone see My Big Fat Greek Wedding? That scene in the restaurant where they plot so the dad thinks the new game plan (her working in the travel agency) is his idea is just priceless. For some reason that scene always sticks in my mind (well, probably cuz that movie is on all the time and I've seen it 100 times now!!!). I only wish I could manage things that slicky in life... Maybe start leaving copies of studies and stuff somewhere where hubby thinks he discovered it himself, and maybe he'll start trying to convince you that you need to go lower carbs, LOL! :lol: Ah, if only......... :D

21. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Today, we need to take what I've got to the vet, and have them look at it. Not sure if we'll actually see them, and if we do, if they'll charge us for the visit (hope not... They've got enough danged money from us already, thank you very much). I'm pretty pleased with her #'s thus far today. :) She gave me a 300something, then about almost 4 hours later, she gave me a blue. :) Good girl!!! :) She got some chicken pieces as a treat. :) Nope, she's NOT spoiled at all. LOL

Oh, the reason why I decided to test her at about +4 this morning.. The little darling was already on the table. :) I couldn't resist a quick poke. LOL

Is it possible to become addicted to poking...? LOL

22. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Good luck at the vet!

Hmmm, addicted to poking? I don't know about that, but I test a lot...I think I'm addicted to data! Data is good! :mrgreen:

23. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Angela YES they can become addicted to the poking....and sometimes the beans become pokaholics as well!

Joanne, how bout this "oh, your a vegetarian....well have some veal then dear" that was a classic movie. "what is that? a bundt cake? honey put some water and flowers in this ok?"

24. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Ok, I can see the "addicting to data" bit. LOL You poke to GET the data... Yeah, that's it.

Still, though... Wouldn't that still be considered as "addicted to poking"? LOL

Oh, my poor kitty..... Here kitty, kitty, kitty.... LOL :) bcatrun_gif

25. heidi and doodles

heidi and doodles Member

Hey there Angela....I'm on the Lantus board and was looking for a friend here and saw your post.
    Stand your ground!!!
    Have your husband go to LL and have him read all the crap about hi carb diets! What does he think your making this stuff up?!@!
    I totally am not going with what my vet says at all!!! I'm not even taking her in anymore because it's so bad for her...took her 3 days to recoup from the last trip, that's when I met Lori, she introduced me to LL and it has saved Doodles life!!!!
    The vet had doodles on a 14% carb wet food diet along with the MD dry kitty krack and Humilin N!!!???@@@!!! Are you freakin kidding me....as soon as I found out that what I thought I was doing was right, and it wasn't I donated all food to the animal shelter and got the right stuff :D
    The dry food is the worst...it stays around forever in their system....I tell everyone I meet when buying cat food and I see them going for the krack I let them know
    this is what made my daughter a sugar cat :evil:
    I'm sorry you aren't getting the support at home, but hang here with these great people and their great advice :D Doodles was diagnosed this last April, so I am new to this, but I KNOW MY CHILD, the vet does not. I changed from Humilin N to Lantus, changed out her food and we are good to go. I keep my vet updated with her SS, and I'm hoping to change her mind about how they treat FD... But it still means we will have our ups and downs, but
    at least I know I'm giving her the right food to get her regulated and hopefully to an OTJ par~tay :D :D
    They are very strict with testing and food in LL, but I love it and doodles is rockin. I hate pink, were working getting her to the "blue boogie board" is what I call the blues :lol: have him look at all the OTJ parties in LL and their SS he'll see no one gets over 10%. I keep Doodles on 0 ~ 3 carbs...in the cabinet I have 0,2,3 & 5 carb wet food from FF.
    Good luck to you!!!
    Don't let him shorten her life.

heidi and doodles >"<

26. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Hi, Heidi :) Thank you for the post. :) Not to worry... They're not treating and taking care of Blackie, I AM. Besides, I gave the vet the written #'s today, and what I've been doing with Blackie, and with the proof that I've dropped off, I'm sure that the they'll be pleased with what they've seen so far. As soon as I can get some ink for the printer, I'll be printing out the SS to show them. It's more professional, and looks much nicer than having things written on paper. But, for now, paper's the way to go. :)

Good luck with the Lantus. :) I'm looking forward to having you guys get those blue #'s. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.