My Kitty has diabetes :( scared, worried, stressed.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by NitroViper, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

To tell you the truth my mind is tired. Im ready to try vetsulin just because its readily available by my vet and cheap. I do want to home test tho. Maybe he will do well on it. If not I can always change insulin.

I still am going to wait till tomorrow and call every vet in town and see who is willing to listen. If I find a good one that is willing to help/listen/share ideas/open to different insulin I will change and get a prescription for Lantus tomorrow.

If I cant find anyone I will start to use the Vetsulin because I want him on something asap.

My mind is tired, I am tired :(

**edit, oh I also asked my vet why he said to not use lantus. He said it is known to cause many cats to go hypo. He said before he called me back that he want and read a discussion panel and that's what they agreed.

2. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

Jason,

If Wease is at 540 you need to get him started right away on something, regardless. Those numbers are just to high, he is at risk for ketones. Please go get a meter right away and test him yourself and please with the help of the people here get him started. You must be able with that insulin to test him at home.

Terri

3. ebuckley

ebuckley Member

My vet never suggested that I attempt home testing. Sounds like yours doesn't either so his logic with that statement is a bit suspect there. I didn't know it was even an option or how useful it would be until I found FDMB. My vet was amazed when I showed her the numbers that I logged on my iPhone when we went in for a weight check a few weeks later. She said keep doing what we're doing and that she wished all her diabetic patients did this (if she did then she should mention it, right?? lol). Next time we go in I'll be sure to tell her about this forum.

However, I can also understand some reluctance to advise it professionally, due to liability and all. I can imagine that not all their clients are equipped (mentally, physically, emotionally, availability) to do systematic testing. Maybe some vets just stick to what they know/always do because they have to see so many patients with so many ailments all day. Not really trying to make excuses, but trying to be mindful of where they are coming from. Believe me, I am always asking a million of challenging questions. I almost missed a flight once researching cryptococcous meds before the vet called in the prescription...it saved probably close to a $1000 and a huge hassle of administering an oral suspension twice a day for 6+ months and probably the cat's life. I am lucky because work gives me access to online medical journals and I have a teeny bit of education that helps me understand them a little. I had to pretty much tell the vet he was wrong about the med he wanted to prescribe. Fortunately, he took it ok. We got the cheap pills. Cat fully recovered.

But they still know a lot more than I ever could so I try to be as respectful as possible. That was nice that he called you back. Hope you get it worked out with him or are able to find a new vet. Also, just fyi, I had a less then positive experience taking a cat to Cornell's vet school for treatment. They're a highly ranked vet school so maybe I just had bad luck or maybe my expectations were too high. If I recall correctly, they were quite a bit more expensive than the local vet in Ithaca, too. It's been too long ago to remember the vet in Ithaca I used or if I would even especially recommend them. I could dig it up if you'd like.

4. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Being a man I think my vet thought I would throw my hands up in the air and give up on my kitty. She gave me lantus, syringes and the link to this message board but I don't think she thought we would get very far. You should have seen her face when 3 weeks later Dusty was in remission. The sooner you start the insulin the better your chances are to get your kitty controlled and maybe even remission. Let's go Jason, it's not hard, you can do it and we're all here to help you. dancing_cat

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Cats wind up hypo because vets give too high a starting dose in many cases and they seldom encourage home testing because they often assume folks will just give up and euthanize the cat.

If you start low and home test, you are far less likely to have an issue with a hypo.

The formula to determine a starting dose of Lantus is:
    the lower of his current weight or his ideal weight
    In kilos (pounds divided by 2.2)
    multiplied by 0.25
    rounded down to the nearest quarter unit for safety and because syringes don't have quarter unit markings so you have to eyeball them.

6. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

according to your formula his dose would be 1.42

12.5/2.2 = 5.6
    5.6 x .25 = 1.4

I think I will be using Vetsulin tomorrow. I cant wait for a new vet. If I spend all day trying to get a new vet to see me Itll be tomorrow night before he gets his first dose.

Vetsulin is $50
    Lantus is like $200 for the same amount...

Vetsulin is much more in my price range.

When I take blood from his ear do I hit that vien on the outside or is that bad? I was watching youtube videos and one person said not to hit that?

***EDIT below is a pic of Wease's ear
    [​IMG]

7. BaileyUK

BaileyUK Member

Come on Jason,Wease has been your soul mate for 13 years,make your decision as to the insulin,get your glucometor and start helping her to feel better.You have a wonderful group of experienced people to guide you every step of the way.
    Be brave,once you start treating her you will both feel better. Good luck

8. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

You generally want to aim for the place between the vein and the edge of the ear. You'll hit the vein on occasion and sometimes it's helpful if you're having a particularly difficult time getting blood but you don't want to do it all the time (it bleeds more, the cat is more likely to feel it, and it has a higher chance of developing scar tissue).

And make sure you test FIRST before giving any insulin at all. Maybe the diet change this week has already put Wease into better numbers. If over 200 tomorrow (when I'm assuming you'll be giving insulin) post here first and ask for help on the dose. If under 200, also post but don't give any insulin.

Here are some Ear Testing tips that you might not have seen yet and it has a great picture of the "sweet spot."

9. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

Well the vet said start with 2 units without even testing... scary. If its over 200 can I give 1 unit and under 200 give nothing? I think im going to stick with the Vetsulin for now. If im having no luck in the first few weeks ill ask to switch. Im just hoping someone has some experience with Vetsulin to help me.

I just went to walmart and got the strips, the meter, lancing device and lances. Watching youtube videos I think ill like the lancing device best.

Anyone know what setting they use? Couple of the lady's on youtube use setting 5, that wont go all the way thru the ear?

Nobody uses the cats toes or anything else? Always the ears?

10. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

I would go with no more than 1u if he's over 200 tomorrow since this is your first time dosing and you'll want to be able to see how low the dose takes him without having to worry he might go too low. Here's a Vetsulin Primer that should give you a bit of an idea of how it works and how important food is when giving the dose.

I use a lancing device as well. When I first stated out, I had it on the highest setting and slowly worked my way down over the next couple of weeks as Mikey's ears learned to bleed and now it's on the lowest setting (1). In fact, I have quite a few lancing devices and they all work perfectly on the lowest setting for him. If you poke through the ear (give Wease a piercing :lol: ), that's a sign the device is set too high. You also want to make sure it's flat against the ear and not at an angle or you might have difficulty getting blood.

ETA: some people use the paw pads to test, but Mikey hates having his feet touched so I never bothered trying that with him because he was already difficult to test to begin with. :lol: There should be a video in the ear testing tips I linked above for paw pad testing.

11. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

I just checked Wease's ear first time ever. Got a tiny drip of blood. The reading was 393 on a Relion Confirm. The last time he ate was 10pm almost +4 hours ago.

He did not like that at all, I dont think it hurt him but he HATES being held down. I think I got him right in that vien, is that ok or no :(

I am very shaky with nerves now as I have never done that before lol. Anyways he still has about 6 hours and 15 minutes until he eats again. Think it will go up or down by then? What if his reading is like 500 before he eats should I give 2 units of Vetsulin?

Is 393 really high considering he has been on low carb foods for 2 full days?

12. Suzanne & Cobb(GA)

Suzanne & Cobb(GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Jason , it can be quiet on the board this time of night. But there is usually someone floating around!

Great job on your first test!! My cat Cobb hated being held down too, but doesn't mind it much not. You can make him tolerate it easier by giving a low carb treat every time you test or a piece of boiled chicken.

393 isn't great but a lot of us have seen numbers much worse. I would stick with the 1 unit initially because you don't know how Wease will react to the insulin. It could bring him down quickly, or he may have to adjust to the dose. Higher numbers are safer in the short term. Very low numbers can induce a hypoglycemic episode and kill quickly. Once you know how Wease reacts to the insulin you'll start manipulating his dose in search of the right one. If you start too high that can actually keep him in high numbers (counterintuitive, I know), but he can develop glucose toxicity and his body begins to think those high numbers are "normal," and fight the trip down into the pancreas healing numbers.

Good luck tomorrow morning! The first few times testing are daunting but you succeeded the first time. That's awesome news!!

13. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

I was actually surprised how little blood there was and it still worked. I just hope hitting that vein isn't a bad no no. Its hard to aim with that lancer tool.

Im trying to figure out how to set up the google spreadsheet thingy. Starting to get pretty tired tho.

14. Suzanne & Cobb(GA)

That's the good thing about the human meters they require less blood. My original meter required something like 1.5uL. We had the hardest time getting enough. The one I have now requires .3uL (uL or whatever the measurement is!)

I hit the vein every now and then. It's ok. You'll just get a bigger drop of blood. You can use some neosporin with paci relief to heal Wease's ears. It works quickly.

Get some rest. Make sure you take care of you too! You're of no use to Wease if you make yourself sick!

Great job today!

15. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

OK just checked his blood at 9:42am it is 392. Should I give him 1 unit of vetsulin to see how he does with it or 2 units?

This will be his very first shot of Vetsulin.

16. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd give one unit just so you can see how it goes. Then get a number around 2 hours after the shot to see how low the onset is. That will give you a clue to how the rest of the cycle may go.

Congrats on getting a number! Welcome to the Vampire Club! :mrgreen:

17. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

Ok I will start with 1 unit and test him in a couple hours. Im going to feed him at 10am and give him the shot during since he wont even notice it lol.

Do I start a new thread in a different section on the forum for dose advice or just keep using this post? The vetsulin section of the forum seems to be pretty quiet.

18. Sue and Oliver (GA)

The forum for Vetsulin is not active. A few people in the UK use it because it is all that is available, but they post here. So continue to post here. And yes, once your thread goes to the second page, it is time to start a new one.

19. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

Ok, he has his very first shot. I'm very nervous now about how he will act today. I hope everything goes ok :(

2/11/14 393 pre shot 10am dose 1 unit.

20. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Tip on Vetsulin: it is actually a mixture of 2 types of insulin, each having a peak effect at a slightly different time. This may be more obvious in dogs. In cats, you may observe 2 nadirs (depends on the cat), the first one around +4 to +5 hours after the shot, the 2nd one around +6 to +7 after the shot.

With enough data collection, you may be able to show your vet how it is working ... or not for your cat. If it doesn't provide good enough coverage, you might ask for PZI insulin or ProZinc which also are non-depot insulins.

21. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Jason, yes, please start a new post, but get the link from this one to put into your new post so people can quickly go back and read what's already been said. Just copy the link, click on the URL tab and paste the link in between the your link [URL]. Your subject line...ing up and nothing else has changed. [/quote]

22. terri1962

Jason,

Great job, hope everything went well with the shot. I had a difficult cat and I never held her down for test or shot, I would get everything ready, shot and everything drawn up. I would get the meter, the lancet and go in the extra bedroom and I let the other cats come in as that seemed to calm her a little. I would put her in front of me on the floor in between my knees, I would stoop over her hold her just a little so she did not run off, test, and then shoot. I was not able to test her a lot due to hiding and running.
    I also used two sheets of toilet paper folded to put behind the ear when I poked with the lancet. Maybe other people will tell how they do it to make it easier.

Terri

23. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

The vet told me it lasts 2 months. I read about the 28 day thing and that's the duration the FDA tested it for and they are not allowed to put longer than that in the literature.

I did find this tho.

Once the vial
    is opened, use contents within 42 days of first vial puncture and maintain a temperature of 25°C (77°F) or cooler.

from this link here
    http://www.vetsulin.com/PDF/Vetsulin-Feline-Tech-Bulletin.pdf

24. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

25. terri1962

No they should not be able to edit your spreadsheet, it should be fine.

Terri

26. Sue and Oliver (GA)

The one you can edit is the original google doc. Save it to your favorites. The url you posted is a read only. Have you put it in your signature so it comes up, updated, each time you post?

27. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

I added to to my signature.

Im going to test Wease at 12pm in 15 mins that's +2 hours and see where he is but after only testing twice I hit that vein both times. His ears looks sore, is that normal? Doesn't it hurt on the ear after a while?

28. Sue and Oliver (GA)

It will help if you hold the spot you poked for a few seconds to minimize brusing. You can also use Neosporin with pain relief. Their ears toughen up with time. You can also alternate places and ears.

29. Jen&Eddie

Jen&Eddie Well-Known Member

Congratulations on a successful ear test! You've taken a huge first step! :D You'll get better at it as you do it more, and Wease's ears will begin to "cooperate" more in giving you blood. You've also got a spreadsheet up and running. Great job! You're on the right track!

30. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Morning Jason!

WOOHOO! You got this started! GOOD JOB!!! I swear I was the QUEEN of shakes - I'd shake so bad at first that I would drop the syringe. Guess what...KT just looked at me like "Hey, what's the big deal?". I have been testing his same ear for nearing 3 years - the other ear is a turnip. Yep he has a red spot all the time on his light ear but it's extra capillaries and scar tissue.

BIG DANCE TODAY!!!

31. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

Wease's BG is 381 +2 after am dose. It barely even seemed to move?

I was just wondering about KT's spreadsheet, I see sometimes his numbers are really good and sometimes are high, doesn't it seem like if you do the same things every day that the numbers would even out? Im just wondering if Weases numbers are going to do that even if I do the same exact thing every day.

I just expected that if I did the same routine every day I would get close to the same results every day?

also what are f units and s units? some ppl put F in front of their unit doses?

32. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Jason,
    You must ignore KT's spreadsheet - he has a lot of other medical problems going on including cancer. He's never truly been well regulated due to these other issues. He is a terrible bouncer, always has been. He's NOT the 'normal' cat...can't base anything off HIS spreadsheet! He also does not eat during the night causing early morning issues. We've tried all sorts of things but it hasn't worked. We just keep plodding along as best we can keeping him feeling as decent as possible.

The 'f' and 's' - that's 'Fat' and 'Skinny'. We've been doing this dance long enough that I know when I need to add an extra drop or drop off a drop - I note this as f or s. When you get used to this, you'll learn you can make THREE drops off each quarter unit. Those are the fats/skinnies. It's not based on his current exact number, it's based on knowing how his body USUALLY reacts.

One IMPORTANT thing I think we all forgot to cover with you - insulin is a HORMONE that their body has to have to convert the food into usable energy. It is NOT a chemical medicine that when you find the right dose, everything will suddenly be perfect and always the same. Many things affect bg levels - food, stress, excitement. You'll start learning what spikes Wease!

If you look at Dakota's spreadsheet, he is MUCH more regulated altho' his numbers run higher. He's been here with us for 8 months, we're still trying to find the reason we can't seem to get his numbers down. We're suspecting glaucoma so have tests hopefully scheduled for next week.

I'm SO HAPPY to read your thoughts today - I can tell it's beginning to make more sense, you don't seem as lost. WOOHOO!!

33. Squeaky and KT (GA)

YES IT SHOULD! Also keep in mind that KT is on Lantus, a depot insulin - works a bit differently than PZI. According to protocol, the AM and PM doses SHOULD be the same to remain steady. Someone just forgot to tell KT.... :roll:

34. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Wease's BG is 381 +2 after am dose. It barely even seemed to move?

Actually, this is good news. Maybe he is not going to have a fast onset and a short cycle. The other thing that can impact that first number after the shot is food. Food raises bg numbers so for the first few hours, the food and insulin are working against each other.

And you have to be patient, Jason. His body has to learn to use the insulin, along with the new food. Sometimes it takes a few cycles to see any real improvement.

Get another number in a couple hours if you can. See these early days as gathering data while keeping him safe.

35. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi Jason! I just wanted to stop over and say welcome!!! I know you have gotten tons of advice already.

I hope now that you are getting in the swing of things, you feel better. I thought this sugar dance would take up tons of time and cost insane amounts. Really it added maybe 15 min to my morning and evening rituals and the vet visits were the expensive part! When I started testing at home etc, cost wasn't much of an issue.

We are here for ya!

36. skippersmom

skippersmom Member

Jason,

Congratulations! It looks like you are off the a great start. Will you be able to test every few hours today? That will give you so much great information. Sounds like your first reading went fine. I use the lancet tool without clicking it. I just use it as a handle without the end on and poke him in the ear at an angle. I rub his ears for several minutes first. It seems to relax him and warm up his ears. Then when we are done he gets a treat.

37. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

Ok at the +6 hour Wease is at 187 does that mean the insulin works or is that a normal cycle?

I will check again at the +9 hour mark.

38. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

That is definitely the insulin working to bring down the high 300s you were seeing earlier. Good job with all the testing! :thumbup

39. Sue and Oliver (GA)

That is not a bad drop for the first day, about 50%. Yes, 9 should tell you how long it might last. If it's back up in the 300s, it is a shorter cycle than we like. But maybe he will get a longer cyle than most. We can hope. :D

Some reference numbers: we generally say a cat is well regulated if they are in the mid 200s at preshot and in double digits at midcycle, but not below 40-50 which is hypo range. We suggest new diabetics not shoot under 200 but wait 20 minutes without feeding. If the number is rising and over 200, maybe shoot a reduced dose. A cat is considered in remission if they range from 40-120 wihtout insulin for two weeks.

40. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

What the test numbers mean:

Comparing a human glucometer to a pet-specific glucometer is like reading temperature in Celsius vs Fahrenheit. Both are correct. You just need to know the reference ranges to interpret what the numbers mean.

[Glucose reference ranges are unsubstantiated and have been removed by Moderator]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *​
    How to use the glucose reference values chart:

When you get a test, look for the number on the chart that either equals, or contains, the test value you have. Read the information. As needed, make a decision and act.

Ex. You are a new insulin user and you test your cat before giving insulin. The test is 300. It probably is safe to give insulin.

Ex. You are an established user of Lantus, following the Tight Regulation protocol. You've tested around +5 to +7 to spot the nadir. It is 200 mg/dL. You probably need to increase the dose, following the instructions for the protocol.

Ex. Your cat is acting funny. The eyes are a bit dilated. You are concerned and test the glucose. The number is 35 mg/dL. ACK! The cat may be in a hypoglycemic state. You quickly follow the HYPO protocol linked in the glucose reference values chart. (which we really, really, suggest you print out and post on your refrigerator.)

41. terri1962

Jason,

Very good number so far. How is Wease acting? Does he seem to feel any better? Is he eating okay?

Terri

42. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

BJM your post always confuse the heck out of me lol.

The reading from the relion are what I should be posting correct? or should I be adding 30 to the result on the Relion Confirm. Im just posting the number that comes up.

So should I be posting 217 or the 187 that came up on the Relion?

Wease is acting normal, sleeping a lot but he always does that.

43. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Post your ReliOn numbers....

BJ's post WILL make perfect sense within the next few days... ;-)

44. terri1962

Jason,

No post the actual reading from the Relion meter. The reading you get when you test Wease, that is what we are looking for. BJM is just talking about different meter variance.

Terri

45. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

Ok good, I was sad for a minute that he was higher than I thought.

His poor ears look all red and bruised! I'm actually having a really easy time getting enough blood but I feel bad looking at his ears. They are very transparent because he has white ears so maybe it looks worse.

46. ebuckley

ebuckley Member

You might also consider adding the brand of meter you are using to your signature and/or spreadsheet so folks who are helping you make sense of your numbers will know what is what.

47. Chris & China (GA)

Jason...I know all about the white ears! It looked like China had lost a fight with Freddy Krueger for awhile. Now in the "sweet spot", it's always darker but that's because her ears have "learned to bleed"....as you poke, new capillaries will form and discolor that area of the ear.

The best thing you can do for now is get some Neosporin with pain relief OINTMENT (not cream) and smear a little on after each poke. It will also help bead up the blood on your next poke.

Could you go ahead and add some information to your signature for us?

Your name/cats name, date of diagnosis, type of insulin, type of meter, food, any other health problems? It will keep us from asking the same questions over and over.

48. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Sorry about that. I did put instructions at the bottom. Maybe I should put them at the top?

49. Squeaky and KT (GA)

You won't have to do this much testing after you have enough data to start seeing his patterns.

Wease...head kiss...you're doing GREAT too! Good boy

50. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

His BG reading at +9 is 304, its going to go back up to almost 400 at +12 isn't it :(

if its near 400 should I try 2 unit doses?

It only takes me like 15 seconds to get some of his blood, he doesn't really care that much. He kisses me right after :p

51. Suzanne & Cobb(GA)

I don't know anything about the insulin you are using so I have no dose advice.

But his BG is going to fluctuate. It won't change overnight. He had a nice drop today so he is absorbing the insulin you're giving. You're doing great!

52. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

Is it bad to want to go up in dose after the very first shot?

He started at
    393 gave 1 unit
    382 at +2
    187 at +6
    304 at +9

Im sure itll be around 400 again at +12 hours.

Id like to try 1.5 unit or 2 unit like the vet prescribed.

If there is such a big curve everyday how would you ever even it out? If you got the +6 down to like 70 the pre shot in the morning and night would still be to high. Id be afraid to ever see it below 70 tho.

53. Chris & China (GA)

From the Vetsulin user guide:

*The starting dose...
    Many vets believe that this insulin works best when dose is in relation to the weight of your cat, this can result in starting doses of 2-4 units of insulin twice a day... Yikes...that has been seen repeatedly to be too much!

Practical experience here has seen that 1 unit twice a day is a great way to start and only slowly increasing as the information you are gathering shows you, about .5 of a unit at a time.

Stay with the 1 unit for now. You've only shot it once, and you don't have enough data yet to know how it's really going to do for Wease.

54. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

Thanks :) Ill stay with 1 unit for a few days to see if it reacts the same on average.

55. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I would give it three cycles before I rasied the dose and then raise it by .25 or .5 at the most. It takes awhile for his body to adjust to the insulin and food. It is better to increase slowly so you don't suddenly get a low number and then have to guess how much to reduce. Patience, Justin. He didn't become diabetic in a day; you can't cure him in one. :D This was not a bad cycle; he was in decent numbers for a good part of it.

56. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

No, don't do 2u. That's the problem with Novolin: more insulin does not keep the numbers lower for a longer period of time. A lot of people resort to TID (3xday) dosing with it because of this. Only Lantus, Levemir, and ProZinc/PZI have been proven to last long enough for BID (2xday) dosing in cats.

Depending on your schedule, you could try TID dosing with the Novolin, but ask for advice here first from people who have done this!

57. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

Wease was at 392 pre shot. He was 393 this morning.

I gave him 1 unit dose.

Does it sometimes feel like the shot didn't go in or the needle didn't go in the skin? I pushed the plunger down but the needle didn't feel like it was in the body. Fur don't feel wet tho :/

58. ebuckley

ebuckley Member

Does your insulin have an odor? Squirt a teeny bit on a paper towel and sniff. Mine (Lantus) does have an odor and that was a clue for me if I--errmmm-- injected prematurely or otherwise missed. I could not generally feel any wetness on Napa's thick fur as it is a small amount of fluid, but I could sure smell it.

I found it hard at the beginning to know if I was successful, too; the needle is so thin you don't have that feeling of certainty as it pushes thru the skin. I try to leave the needle in place for a second after injecting to see if it is hanging in the skin. You might try practicing on an apple with the syringe and water. Also, make a note on your spreadsheet if you are unsure if you got it in...I neglected to do that early on :/

But alas I am still a newbie....I'm sure others will have good suggestions, too.

59. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

I personally would suggest holding the 1u dose for a couple of days to see how Wease does and getting some more mid-cycle tests in like you did today. That +6/187 is very promising so maybe try grabbing a test around +4, 5, and 7 when you can over the next couple of days to help fill in the blanks to see if he drops lower before or after his +6 or if the +6 is the low point.

Another trick used with Novolin is to take up all food after the numbers start rising again in a cycle. This not only helps to keep numbers lower by shot time (no food coming into the system after the insulin wears off), but also helps make sure he eats before his shot since food is so imperative to have on board due to the fast-acting nature of the insulin.

60. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Good point, Ellie. We call these "fur shots" and they do happen from time-to-time. If you suspect a fur shot, NEVER give a second shot because you don't know how much (if any) of the insulin made it in. The numbers will usually reflect what happened (I.e. they stay flat or they only go down a little bit). There have been many times when I could have sworn I'd given a fur shot and Mikey reacts normally and there are other times where I didn't think I'd given a fur shot but his numbers prove otherwise. ohmygod_smile Luckily, fur shots clear out relatively fast and you're usually back in business by the next cycle or two.

61. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

its 390 at +2 tonight only went down 2 points :( maybe he didn't get the shot, it didn't feel wet at all tho.

62. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

I hope im not bugging everyone with all these posts.

63. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Accounting for the +/-20% variance of meters, it's almost identical to the other +2 you got. I wouldn't worry too much since it looks like it's still early in the cycle for Wease to show whether or not you gave a fur shot. ;-)

The only bad question is the one that goes unasked!

64. Chris & China (GA)

You're fine Jason! That's what we're here for, but since we're on page 4 now, it would be helpful for you to go ahead and start a new post.

Just copy the link to this one and put it into the new post. Click on the URL tab and paste the link in between the Your link here [URL] Don't worry ...that just doesn't happen. You're doing fine!

65. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

66. ebuckley

ebuckley Member

67. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

You can call it something like "Wease currently on Novolin Vetsulin" and don't worry; just because you start a new thread, you won't lose us. ;-) In fact, I think this might be one of the longest threads ever on here! :eek: :lol:

Ha! You'll never hear that around here! The more tests, the more data. And the more data, the happier we are. I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm an information junkie. :oops:

ETA: I don't know why I keep thinking you're using Novolin. ohmygod_smile They're similar but not the same.

68. Chris & China (GA)

Just post a new post...maybe the subject line could be something like Date, Wease, AMPS # and maybe "dose advice please"

It really doesn't matter what the subject says as long as you have the link to this one in the body of the message.....Just put whatever you want..If you have questions, you could say "Need help with ****"

69. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

Do I start a thread in this section of the forum or the Vetsulin section? No one ever posts there :(

I gave him 1 dose last night and his numbers were 392 pre shot +2 390 +4 284 +6 232 Was to tired to check anymore.

This Morning he was at 394 compared to yesterday it was 393.

His numbers stay pretty close, is that a good thing?

The curve through the day is what is worrying me, how to learn to even that out. I wish I could afford Lantus but its 4 times the price.

70. terri1962

Jason,

Start one here, you will get more help. You right no one ever posts over there.

Terri

71. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I'd give it a few cycles before worrying. He might need to get used to the insulin.

72. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you stick here, I'll see it and can find you.

73. IloveLarry

IloveLarry Well-Known Member

hey, how is wease? and how r u?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.