My Lucky was just diagnosed and I am lost and scared to what comes next and to expect.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lucky, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucky

Lucky New Member

My name is Catie and Lucky is my boy! He is an incredible cat that has a heart of gold. Lucky is a male cat who is nutered. 12 or 13 years old. He is such a unique cat. He is an amazing sweet cat- very personable. He is such a loving cat- so compassionate. He tries to make me feel better by showing he is here for me-Whenever I’d be upset and crying. He always jumps in my lap nudging me to pet him and just sit and cuddle with me. He is a beautiful soul. I just found out today he is diabetic. I don’t even know where to start. I have an appointment with the vet tomorrow to discuss his diagnosis. I have been researching for days his recent downfall and everything I read led to feline diabetes. The confirmation today was an expected but still hoping not to come punch to the gut (figuratively speaking there) and has brought me to tears. The internet can be informative but not knowing much about this diesease the technical terms and scenarios have me terrified. I am scared and lost.

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! You've come to a great place for help. After you've seen the vet please post on the main health forum and give us the following info:
    • what insulin your vet prescribed and what dose
    • whether you'll be testing Lucky's blood glucose at home and if so what meter you'll use
    • what food you feed lucky
    • any other health issues or meds he has.
    We all remember how stressed and worried we were at diagnosis. There's a ton of help and support here for you. :):bighug:

Lucky likes this.
  3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and Lucky. It is overwhelming at first, but it gets better. You will get a lot of advice and support here.

Lucky likes this.
  4. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Catie!

What a pretty boy, I love his markings. Very handsome.

It will be ok. There are many of us who have had cats go into remission (don't need insulin any longer, but still technically diabetic and need good quality low carb food forever), as well as those of us that have been successfully treating our cats diabetes for YEARS. Our babies are happy and healthy, albeit diabetic. I tell you this so that you can see that this is VERY doable. And you can do it. We will help with the terms, financial aspects, problem solving, a team to cheer you on, and a virtual shoulder to lean on when you need it.

@Kris & Teasel gave a good list to start in that can help us help you be prepared for your meeting with your vet tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing you and Lucky around :bighug:

Best,
    Sandi & Whisper.

Lucky likes this.
  5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome, Catie and Lucky.

I'm very glad you've found FDMB. You'll be able to learn all about feline diabetes here - and you'll get buckets of support and encouragement, too. You're not alone with this, OK! :)

Lucky sounds like an absolute dote. :)

Mogs

Lucky likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.