My meter reads 50 higher than vet's AlphaTrak

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicole and Napoleon, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole and Napoleon

Nicole and Napoleon Well-Known Member

Napoleon had a vet appointment yesterday. Just recently I purchased a OneTouch Ultra mini meter. I compared it to my vets and mine was 50 points higher! Now, when he has had bloodwork before the AlphaTrak was about 50 points lower than the actually bloodwork BG. So I would assume it is safe to say that my meter is right on the money? Also he was in the higher numbers and I know meters can vary at high numbers. Just wanted to let others know who may have the same meter as me.

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

I'm a OTU lover, not the mini, the regular OTU and I have tested many meters for comparison. If you truly want to compare your meter with a lab reading sent out, not the vets in-house machine, then do a reading before leaving the house. Then do one immediately before the vet takes blood and immediately after the vet takes blood. That will give you an idea if there is stress involved and how close your meter reads to the lab reading. My OTU was only 8 points different but I also know that the OTU and the ACAdvantage will read higher than a lot of meters once you get close to or into the 400 range. When it comes to low readings, I trust my OTU and react to the reading I am getting. Personally I have no use for the AT meter.

3. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

The US specifies that home glucose meters are allowed a varience of maximum 20% from the true value. That means that there is less variance at lower numbers than for higher numbers. Examples: If you get a 400, it could really be 320-480, but if you get a 50, it really could be 40-60.

What were the readings from the vet and with your meter? If the bg was high and the difference less than 20% off, then don't worry about it. You are looking for trends and a safe number to shoot, not absolute on the nose numbers.

4. Nicole and Napoleon

Nicole and Napoleon Well-Known Member

My reading was either 437 or 436, his was 387 from the same blood.

5. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

That is well within the 20% variance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.