My name is Mae and I am diabetic...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MaeCat, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaeCat

MaeCat New Member

Mae is my mom's cat. She has been overweight since my mom got her in 2008. For years I tried to convince my mom that Maeis diabetic. A couple days ago Mae stopped eating and was feeling unwell. Mom finally took Mae to the vet and SURPRISE she is diabetic. I tried my best to convince my mom that free feeding and dry food is junk, but she never believed me. (I feed my cat grain free, canned food, no vegetables or other junk.) I always tried to get her to read catinfo.org, one of my fav sites...needless to say, mom is listening to me now and I am helping her with Mae. We just got her diabetes diagnosis today and I am scouring this awesome forum for info and help. Wish us all luck on our journey. I am well-versed in cat food, but not so much in insulin, blood sugar/glucose testing, or much of cat diabetes. :)

My mom feeds (or will have previously fed since we are doing a diet change) Mae Fancy Feast. She would free-feed the hard stuff and so canned a couple times a day. Mom also has another cat Mykita who has quickly gained weight thanks to that crap in the fourish years mom has had him. So hopefully the change will be for both the cats.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage the kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as Friskies pates
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir
    - And home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!)

3. MaeCat

MaeCat New Member

We are already planning a trip to try out various canned foods and hopefully to get a glucose monitor. RX food is total junk and way more expensive than the exact same/better stuff I can get from a pet store. Still waiting on the insulin- that was the one thing my stepdad didn't get from the vet today!

4. Lori & Lulu

Lori & Lulu Well-Known Member

Welcome to this excellent forum. This place is full of the most helpful, caring individuals I have ever met (or not met -- this is the internet after all, lol)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.