My new family member, sugar cat Beau

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by CindyR, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CindyR

CindyR New Member

I am a volunteer at our local animal shelter, where a cat was turned in after the owners moved away and left him outside on the porch. He was a handsome loving 4 year old tuxedo, and I was instantly smitten. Since he had not been neutered, he had the procedure done a few weeks after intake. Shortly after this, he began to show the classic symptoms of diabetes- ravenous appetite, and soaking his litter box. He rapidly lost weight. He was taken for a blood test and his blood glucose was 475.
    I was devastated - I knew that it is not a condition they can manage in the shelter, so his situation was dire. I previously had diabetic cats, in fact my first one was one of the original Sugar Cat gang with Rebecca's Austin and Marcia's Fletcher. I knew exactly where to go to get up to speed on current protocols- the Feline Diabetes web page.
    I adopted Beau and brought him home January 10th. His vet appointment was the next morning, where he had a fasting blood glucose of 515. The vet started him on Prozinc, two units, and recommended feeding him prescription wet and dry. I opted to do the low carb wet food diet using the Dr Pierson food charts, using Tiki Cat, 9 Lives and fancy feast flaked, with about 3% carbs. . I ordered an AlphaTrak2 so I could home test. Over the course if the next couple weeks, the vet was given constant BG updates and Beau was getting 5 units am pm, at which time I switched to zero carb combinations. Beau had two hypoglycemic readings each of which was followed by reductions in insulin. (of course Karo and gravy lovers food to bring up the BG)
    The vet gave instructions on the BG readings before giving insulin, and after a couple 1/2 unit doses, Beau BG was too low for insulin. It took about 18-19 days from when he came home to go into remission, and he has been off insulin for two weeks. His BG readings range from 59 to 86.
    He is still constantly hungry, and has rapidly gained his weight back.
    He is such a good boy- he even loves having his BG taken. I am so thankful for the information I was able to find here - you are an amazing group !

Critter Mom, FurBabyMamma and Dyana like this.
  2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome back home Cindy, this time with bootiful Beau! Good job already getting him headed OTJ!!! WOOT WOOT!

CindyR likes this.
  3. CindyR

CindyR New Member

Thank you ! I am watching him like a hawk though- he is still ravenously hungry.

4. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

What an amazing story.
    Beau is so very lucky. You saved his life!
    Congrats to both of you, wishing you many happy, healthy years together.

Critter Mom and CindyR like this.
  5. Mum of two felines

Mum of two felines Member

Wiping tears from my eyes! Beau is one lucky cat!

6. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Welcome back, Cindy! And welcome to beautiful Beau. He is one lucky kitty to have you in his life. :bighug:

Eliz

CindyR likes this.
  7. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Welcome back :bighug: And thank you for saving Beau from the shelter.

8. Sparkle

Sparkle Member

My Beau (civvie) says hi to your Beau. So glad you got free of the kitty prison and you found a good Mommie. I was out wandering the streets when I found my Mom. I love to snuggle.

CindyR likes this.
  9. CindyR

CindyR New Member

10. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Wow, you are sensational! I envy your experience and skill!:bighug: You've got a big heart, too. Beau is lucky to have you adopt him! "Kitty Prison", :p Yep, that's a good name for it. Glad you broke Beau outta there.

CindyR likes this.
  11. CindyR

CindyR New Member

Thank you ! Beau is such a beautiful boy. I cannot believe he was just put out to fend for himself. The people that saved him were horrified- they had always seen him in the window of the house.....and there he was....sitting on the porch....waiting for people that would never return. :( At least now he is a happy boy !

12. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I so wish someone would put the people out on the streets who do it to the pets they supposedly love.

Kudos to you for taking him, making him happy and healthy.

I know Smokey would have died in my father's care and my sister and her hubby would have put him down. So thankful my hubby never questioned taking him. He had the spare room all set up by the time we got home.

Dyana and CindyR like this.
  13. Missy

Missy Member

Awww! Thank you for saving Beau life. Poor little guy. I wish him and you a long happy life together.

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

:(I believe there's a special place in The Afterlife for those who abuse animals like that. Perhaps they're forced to live in the bodies of animals, and get abused themselves.

:mad:That'll fix em.

Olive & Paula and CindyR like this.
  15. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Thank you for saving Beau and for sharing his story with us. I wish you both much joy in your life together. :)

Mogs

CindyR likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.