My next step

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mphair84, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mphair84

Mphair84 Member

I'm just starting out at home testing and I'm already at a rough start. I was unable to test at normal feeding (6 am), so I did not give him insulin. I fed him Fussy cat. Usually, he gets 2 1/2 of prozinc every 12 hrs (vet advised). I just tested on a human meter, and his BG was 323. Should I give him insulin at this odd hour? I'm sorry, I'm just not sure what I should do.

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Whether you give him his insulin now or not really depends on your schedule going forward. If you shoot now, what will that do to your schedule tomorrow because your shot time will still be pushed ahead? You can shoot up to an hour early but will that work for you tomorrow? The other option would be to do some extended cycles to get back onto your normal times.
    I assume from your location it's about noon there. If that is correct, and you shoot now, you could then skip tonight and shoot again at 0600am tomorrow creating two 18 hour cycles instead of 12. That way you aren't missing an entire cycle at a time. :)

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

4. Mphair84

Mphair84 Member

Thank you. I did 1 unit, and I will skip tonight. That way in the morning I can be more regular. I'm trying to start low and take it slow. I can't help but question what my vet was having me do.

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Vets try hard but often have limited experience dealing with FD. The combined knowledge of all the members here is light years beyond most vets'. It's understandable - we live and breathe FD while vets have to know a ton about different conditions in dogs, cats and often other animals. If your vet is willing to collaborate and learn with you that's ideal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.