My Olivia just diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Heather Jones, Jul 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heather Jones

Heather Jones New Member

Please welcome Olivia. She is only an 18 month DSH. The last couple months she has been eating and drinking constantly. But she kept losing weight. We took her to her veterinarian on Friday. The vet didn't think she was diabetic as she is so young. We got told many fatal diseases. On Saturday, we heard back and Olivia's glucose was 500. We took her back to the vet today. She is spending the night. After her first dose of insulin her glucose did not drop. They are trying another dose this evening and one in the morning. Now I am waiting to hear mid morning from the vet. I hope they figure it out.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Heather, welcome to you and adorable Olivia. She's precious! I'm so sorry for the diagnosis and at such a young age. Hope the vet can get her numbers down, so she can cone home soon.

Heather Jones likes this.
  3. Johndooley

Johndooley Member

Hope she gets home soon. Our boy is in hospital as well. Thoughts and prayers

4. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Hello Olivia and Heather, and welcome! You've come to the right place.
    Olivia is a beauty, that cute face :)
    What insulin is the vet giving Olivia?

5. Heather Jones

Heather Jones New Member

On our way to pick her up now. Update soon.

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  6. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

That's good news that you can go and pick Olivia up!

7. Sharon14

Great news, Olivia's coming home!

8. Heather Jones

Heather Jones New Member

We just did our first feeding and gave Olivia her first injection since getting back home and settled in. The vet put her on Vetsulin. Her blood sugar is still 350. We go back for a glucose check on the 22nd.

9. Sharon14

Why don't you post on Health, maybe some folks there will have some ideas for you. It's rare, but not unheard of for one so young to have diabetes. Did your vet mention home testing Olivia's glucose? Many don't, but it's very easy and the best way to get the diabetes under control.

10. Heather Jones

Heather Jones New Member

Thanks Sharon I will. And I asked the vet about testing at home and she said for now they want to monitor her glucose levels in the clinic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.