My other cat is PISSED — help!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Paigeworthy, Oct 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

Hi all,

Ever since I brought River home from the hospital on Monday afternoon, her sister, Brixie, has been a different cat. I have read that friendcats don't recognize the smell of the newly returned cat after they were in the hospital, and that can make them mad.

They used to be cuddle buddies, but now Brixie won't go near River! When they do check each other out, it always ends in Brixie hissing or taking a swipe at River. Thankfully, River seems pretty unaffected by it all, but still.

Do I just need to give it some time? Is there something I can do?

[​IMG]
    P.S. A first this morning: Crying for the loss of a stranger's kitty who crossed the :rb_icon: Bridge yesterday. What an amazing place this is.:bighug:

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. Just give it some time. Every time Willow has been to the vet, Mia avoids her and hisses at her when their paths cross. The change back to normal is usually gradual and takes a few days.

3. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

I had the same problem with my cats. It does take time. My cat Keanu hissed at Nermal when he got home from the vet, then my other kitty wednesday chased off Keanu growling. I bought some pheromones for cats and sprayed it on places they come together-it worked. It took a week though before they were completely back to normal. Last night Nermal was licking Keanu's head. Time does help. I am going to vet today but decided to hide the event-I plan on this time to put Nermal seperate for at least a day until the vet smell rubs off on him and until he gets the home smell back on him. Those pheromones worked wonders. It took a few times after it wore off. It is supposed to remind them of the scent of mamma cat to relax them.

Paigeworthy likes this.
  4. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

Thanks, Laura! Cats are so finicky and FEISTY!!

5. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

It's not that they don't recognize the smell of the newly returned cat, they bring a lot of smells home with them. Some of our cats are very empathetic, some are loners, one would steal food off a sick cat's dish. The fun never ends does it? I've had cats that jump in the car and love the vet but big bad Lewis has to be poured out of the crate and is quite nasty when he gets home.
    If this keeps up ask about something like Feliway.

6. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

They also have calming collars you can put on the aggresive one that has phermones on it-they have a whole section at Petsmart. They have the collars at wal-mart-but I have not seen the spray at Wal mart

7. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I rub cat with a towel that has their smell on it.

8. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Yes. I used to do this as I didn't like the smell either.

9. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Hopefully they get along again by now but what I do is wrap my kitty that just came back from the vet in a nice clean fresh towel (what cat doesn't like a fresh towel!) and I just rub him all over with the towel so he smells like home again. It won't work miracles but it'll shorten the time it takes to recognize each other.

10. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

Thank you!! Yes, they are friends again...

Attached Files:

Jenna Josie and JanetNJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.