My Peach Fuzz is gone :(

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Fuzzsmom, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzsmom

Fuzzsmom New Member

Thank you all for the advice and help you've given us over the past four years, you all have been wonderful. I took Fuzz home on Thursday because the vet he was at didn't seem to want to treat him and just wanted to put him down without knowing what was wrong. I treated him at home from Thursday till last night, he became weaker and weaker and was no longer able to walk on his front or hind legs. At 1:30 am I took him to a wonderful 24 hour animal hospital (I only wish I had started taking him there years ago) they put him on fluids and fast acting insulin with antibiotics. Unfortunately his temperature kept dropping and his body seemed to be shutting down. They called me at 10 am this morning and said they thought he was ready to go and that they thought it would be soon, I rushed right there, he was in ICU wrapped in blankets with hot air being pumped under them to warm him and his temp was still dropping, they were also blowing oxygen into his face to help him breath. I saw him and knew it was time for him to go, they brought him in to me wrapping in blankets and gave me as much time as I needed to say goodbye, the doctor then came in and euthanized him while I held him, I held him for several minutes after that and finally had to let go. This is one of the hardest things I've ever gone through, the past four years of my life I have dedicated to caring for him, he was my baby, he was with me from the time he was born for the last twelve years. He was loved by everyone he was the cuddliest sweetest boy I've ever known, my heart aches when I think about him and don't know how I can move on. He is being creamated and they are doing a paw print for me cuz i always loved his pink little toes. I just wanted to let you all know what happened, like I said thank you all so much, when I found this site four years ago I thought I was going to lose him then but they doctors were able to help and with all the wonderful help you all offered I was able to keep him healthy for four wonderful years. Thank you so much.

Love,

Stephanie, Fuzz, and Muffin

The doctor is now talking about cancer being a possiblity because his white blood cell count is so high. I know most of you don't know me on here i haven't been on in a long time because fuzz has been doing so well but you all helped me so much the first time he was sick like this back in 2006. I need help again. I don't know if i should just bring him home cuz the vet talks like i'm doing him no favors by keeping him going, but it's only been three days of treatment for severe dka and i know it doesn't turn around that fast, but then with the high wbc and the antibiotics not helping i just don't know. should i leave him there for a few more days or take him to another vet or bring him home and try to treat him there. Please help me with some advice please i need to talk to someone that understands this disease and how it works please, i'm a wreck because none of the doctors listen to me and i know fuzz better than they do i've been taking care of him for four years now and he was just fine not even a week ago but they don't listen to me they're ready to give up and act like i should be too. What should I do?

Stephanie and Fuzz

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Re: NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Hi Stephanie, sorry I don't have advice about DKA -- glad you came here though - plenty of people do have experience with this.

I can just say - Norton had diabetes, acromegaly and at the end, intestinal cancer. The diabetes and acromegaly were ok - he was a pretty happy, healthy cat. The cancer, however, was inoperable and grew to be very painful, so we helped him cross the bridge.

((((((hugs)))))) healing vibes on the way for FUZZ ~~~~~~*

3. Lisa + Frankie

Lisa + Frankie Member

Hang on Stephanie- help will be coming

Take a deep breath and try to give us enough info to understand what's going one with Fuzzie. I'm on my way out the door, but let me just ask some questions so you can try and tell folks more about what's happening right now.

You took him in and got diagnosed with DKA 3 days ago, right?

What kind of symptoms have you all seen with him?
    How's his health overall?
    What is your current FD treatment regimen?
    Other than a high WBC, what other tests have they done for him?
    Is he responsive at the vet's office?

I know that this is very hard and it can seem impossible to make any kind of decisions right now. You have to try and sort through the pieces/parts of this crisis so that you can make the best decision for Fuzzie that you can. Hang on!

Edited to add: You posted in March that his tooth came out. Did he ever get to the vet then?

4. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

Stephanie, I don't know how cancer is diagnosed by looking at the wbc count, so, you will need someone else to answer that question.

The last time Layla was in the hospital for DKA she was in for 10 days. It was very grave, and she developed HL, so they kept her a long time.

Is Fuzz at a 24-hour facility? You really need a supportive vet team when treating dka - and try to remember, that many values are out of the normal ranges when they are so ill.

I wouldn't suggest bringing him home if he is in the middle of dka treatment, but, I would ask your vet to clarify why the wbc would indicate cancer when your cat is ill for another reason.

Three days in - are the ketones starting to clear from his system?

Best,
    Pam & Layla

5. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

I have no advice, I hope others will be able to offer some suggestions.
    I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Sending healing thoughts to you and Fuzz

Odiesmom

6. cjleo

cjleo Member

Stephanie,

Just sending hugs. DKA treatment takes a while as you well know. Make it clear to your vet(s) that you want him treated for the DKA.

Then you can deal with what ever is causing the changes in blood chemistry.

White light surround you and your beloved cat.

Claudia

7. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Are there people at your vets office 24/7 to monitor Fuzz? I know DKA needs treatment and bringin Fuzz home would not be the way to go. Is Fuzz eating? Are they giving fluids? Why are they giving antibiotics? Have they checked Fuzz's electrolytes?

If you vet is telling you to let him go I would suggest getting another opinion. Have you thought about an ER hospital?

8. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Don't give up. Get all the answers so you can make an informed decision.

First make sure he is getting correct treatment for the DKA. I have never been through this, but I know he needs 24 hrs round the clock attention. I have read of so many cats pulling through DKA here. It means intensive care, but not giving up.

Second, a high white bllos cell count is not a diagnosis of cancer. It can mean many things, but only a persistent high WBC should be considered a possible indicator of cancer. More testing is needed here.

Unless they feel a mass somewhere and are sure it is cancer, treating the DKA is priority one. (I could see if there was a mass and they biopsied it and it was cancer, you might not want to put him through DKA treatment....)

9. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for Fuzz...

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Gabby was diagnosed with DKA at the time I found out that she had diabetes. She was hospitalized on an ICU where there was 24/7 monitoring.

At the minimum, you need someplace where there is around the clock monitoring. You will need frequent blood tests to monitor electrolytes -- phosphorus and potassium are important to get back into balance as quickly and safely as possible. IV fluids are needed as is insulin -- likely basal insulin and bolus insulin (i.e., an insulin that will last for roughly 8 - 12 hours and an insulin that is short acting to raise BG quickly).

DKA can be life threatening but many of the cats here, including Gabby, recovered. It is key to get appropriate care. This is not something you can manage at home.

11. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Stephanie, what's Fuzz's status?

12. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Stephanie, my most heartfelt sympathy on the loss of your beloved Fuzz. You did all that you could to try and save him and he knew he was loved. So thankful you were able to hold him one last time and be there but so heartbreaking for you. My heart goes out to you.

[​IMG]

13. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

(((((Stephanie)))))
    My heart is breaking for you. You did all you could for Fuzz. He knew he was loved.
    I'm so very sorry for your loss.

wings_cat Fly free dear Fuzz...

14. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

So, so sorry to hear about your baby.

15. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

I am so very sorry for your loss of Peach Fuzz.

~M

16. fourcatsmama

fourcatsmama Member

I am so very very sorry. Tears...

17. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

oh no! ((((Stephanie)))) my deepest sympathies. Fly free Fuzz

18. Barb and Tori

Barb and Tori Well-Known Member

Oh Stephanie I am so sorry. My heart aches for you. Fly high and proud sweet Fuzz with your beautiful new wings. Make sure you stop in and visit your Mommy real soon to let her know you're Ok at the Bridge.

19. Deb and Pippin

Deb and Pippin Member

[​IMG]

My heart hurts for you today, its so hard to say goodbye.
    Fly high and free on your beautiful new wings sweetie.

20. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

(((Stephanie))) I am so sorry he had to leave you.

Fly free Fuzz. rb_icon

21. SunCat

SunCat Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

((hugs))

22. Angel and Ducky

Angel and Ducky Member

23. BobsMom

BobsMom Member

I am so very sorry for your loss.
    wings_cat

24. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

*hugs*
    So so sorry to hear this. :cry: You did everything you could, it was just his time.

Fly free sweet Fuzz.

25. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

((Stephanie))

I'm so sorry that Fuzz didn't make it through this crisis - but it sounds as if he was so ready to be free of the body that was failing him and by letting him go, you gave him the greatest gift of love. That doesn't help your sadness and grief in having to say goodbye but he left in your arms with your love - no furry companion (or human for that matter) could ask for more when it's their time to move forward.

He's now flying free and young once - and will never feel the pain again. And he left so much of himself with you in the memories and love that remains in your heart.

My heart goes out to you tonight and I'm sending many heartfelt prayers of comfort.

I didn't see your earlier post that he was so ill because I've been off the board for several days.

I'm so sorry.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

26. Gina & Yittle (GA)

Gina & Yittle (GA) Member

I'm so very sorry for your loss. The hardest thing we do for our pets is let them go when its time. If our love alone was enough to save them, they'd all be saved. But regretfully sometimes all our love can do is let them go. You did everything you could for your beloved friend, and they know it.

27. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Sonia & Tom (GA) Well-Known Member

Very sorry for your loss.

28. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

May all your wonderful memories of Fuzz bring you comfort...

'til you meet again.

29. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness... I'm SO sorry. Land softly little Fuzz...Until you meet again.
    :(

Jeanne

30. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

I'm so sorry that it was time for dear little Fuzz to leave, Stephanie.

Run free, little Fuzz!

31. Fuzzsmom

Fuzzsmom New Member

Thank you all for your kind words and support over the years. My heart still aches to see my little guy again. I know he did come to let me know he is safe and happy on the other side waiting for me. I heard his snoring purr in the sounds of my two year old nephew as he was napping next to me today. It was for only a short minute but I know that sound anywhere from all the years he slept next to my pillow on on top of my head at night.

Thank you all, please give your little ones some extra special love from me today.

Love,

Stephanie, Fuzz, Muffin

32. karen and splash (ga)

karen and splash (ga) Member

Stephanie I am so sorry that Fuzz had to make the final journey over the bridge. Remember that the rest of the GA's are there welcoming him and showing him the joys of forever health and playtime.

33. Kellie and Oreo (GA)

Kellie and Oreo (GA) Member

Sending my prayers to you. I am so sorry and wish there could have been more time for the two
    of you. God Bless Peach Fuzz.
    Kellie

34. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You did everything you could for your little Fuzz, and then you were strong enough to let Fuzz pass away more easily, while in the most comforting and loving embrace possible. I know your heart must be breaking because your love was that big, that deep. May happier memories come soon -- the ones of all the good times you had with Fuzz, and all the funny things he did -- to balance your grief a bit.

(((Stephanie)))

laur

35. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Ohhh, I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Your precious little boy is free now, chasing butterflies and waiting to see you again.
    Sending hugs...

Fly Freeee Fuzz!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.