My relion meter runs about 70 pts below my onetouch meter...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Michelle and Daisy, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle and Daisy

Michelle and Daisy New Member

I just bought the relion ultra, because I don't have the financial resources for the upkeep of onetouch strips anymore. I did a test run with the relion... and the first result I got was about 110 pts lower than my one touch result (which I did as a control test). I redid the relion test, and it jumped up 70 points from the previous number. I redid it again, and it only jumped up 1 point. So, it's generally about 70 points lower than my one touch... so far.

That freakishly low first number... do you think it could be a fluke? There's no point in using the relion if i have to use two strips to double check it each time... to make sure it's not wigging out on me.

What gives? Does the relion generally run lower... or does the one touch generally run higher? Does anyone else have this issue?

Oh another thing... is there any possibility of getting Daisy covered under pet insurance, even though she has a pre-existing condition (diabetes)?

2. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

Pet insurance will not cover a pre- existing illiness . No matter how long ago they had it....Like our insurances Waste of money Sorry to say :mrgreen: LOL Kath

3. Michelle and Daisy

Argh... One touch test strips run about 100 dollars for 100 of them.. on amazon it's about 60 for 100 of them. It's just so much money. :-| Any idea about the relion and one touch being so different in readings?

4. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

What were the actual numbers?

All glucometers have an accuracy of +/- 20%.

This means if "true" BG is 100, the meter can read anywhere between 80 and 120 and be "accurate".

If "true" BG is 400, the meter can read anywhere between 320 and 480 and still be "accurate".

The same holds true meter to meter.

So pick one and stick with it.

My personal preference for meter is the MAXIMA AST from www.hocks.com

Test strips cost $16.50 per 50ct or $33 per 100.
    http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/hocks ... MAX50.html

meter kit plus 100 test strips for $34 ==
    http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/hocks ... FM-14.html

It requires 0.5 microliter of blood

I've never seen the meter at a drug store, so I make sure to keep spares (test strips & meter) on hand and order before I run out.

To get free shipping, I also order lancets ($1.49 per 100) and syringes ($17.49 per 100) from Hocks.
    http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/hocks ... 10030.html
    http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/hocks ... 40030.html

(200 each lancets, test strips, syringes = $104 not including tax and lasts approx 100 days -- need some extra strips & lancets for more than 2 tests per day)
    Free shipping for orders >$79

5. Michelle and Daisy

Her number on onetouch was 264. On Relion, it was 158 the first time. Second time I redid it, it shot up to 219, and then on a second test it was 220. It just freaked me out... because 158 and 264 is such a huge difference in range. I'm hoping that maybe the relion just had a fluke problem, because the second time I tested it was just a point off... but I tested it a few seconds after the other test, so that could be why. I just worry that I might end up giving her too much insulin if her number is actually 100 pts higher than I realise if I use the relion meter. She usually runs in the mid to high 200's.

I've seen one touch strips on ebay for 30-50 bucks for 100 of them... so I might consider that, if other people here think that's an okay way to go for buying test strips. Thanks for the help. It's harder now because I'm getting next to no work hours at my work, and even getting that job took a long time to get. I need to move out of my state or something. :YMSIGH:

edit: Thanks for the suggestion of the other meter. I think I might look into that one too. It doesn't hurt to have a few meters around the house in case one ends up going wonky on me. I have the onetouch ultra, one touch micro, and now the relion ultra.

Oh, another thing. Any clue on why the first reading was so low... but the others were higher? It was just such a huge difference in points, it scares me.

6. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

I've noticed that sometimes meters will give a low test result when the blood sample was too small but not quite small enough to make the meter error out. Also, if any water or other fluid gets into the blood sample, it will make the result wonky - too low if the extra fluid is something like water, too high if it is something like fruit juice. Were your hands by any chance damp when you started the test?

Lots of people on this board do get strips from eBay. Be sure the seller is trustworthy and you should be OK. Oh, also try to find out the expiration date for the strips - on occasion expired strips are sold (really cheap, but also really worthless!)

Amazon.com sometimes has good prices, also. Hocks or other human-diabetic sites may also have good prices. Be sure to include in your calculations any shipping charges. (High shipping charges can nullify the advantage of a low price. Low or free shipping can make a slightly higher strip price come out to be the more economical choice. But if you do much online shopping, you know that.) I usually start out with a Google search for "FreeStyle Lite test strips" or "Contour test strips" or whatever and see how the prices are that day - they change. Then I check any specific sites I know of, to see how they compare. After I've done that, there is seldom much doubt about the best way to proceed.

7. Michelle and Daisy

No, my hands were dry... and i'm not sure about the blood level on the strip. I'm hoping that could have been why. I do know that I made a mistake and inserted the wrong end of the test strip into the meter.. but it's not like there was any blood on it. It did light up and act as if it were waiting for a sample though, even though the wrong end was in.

Well, I'm going to look into getting strips on ebay... since it's a lot less than on amazon and way less than in the stores. Thanks for the help.

8. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I have been using the Relion meter for several years and been very pleased with it. As long as you use one meter consistently, you should not have any problems. I have never had an issue with proper dosing while using my Relion meters.

9. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

I used to use a Relion Micro, and sometimes the meter would give me a low number if the strip didn't suck up enough blood, but it wouldn't error out. Because you got a similar number the next two tests, I think that may have been what happened. I would run the control solution to make sure everything's working ok.

10. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

If you are in the US, you can get OTU strips from Hocks.com for pretty cheap. $28.99 for a box of 50. That's $.58 each. I don't know what shipping is to your location. They are very reliable.

Hocks.com is an affiliate of FDMB. If you look at the top of the page you will see a button for them. If you order by clicking through the button, FDMB gets an 8% commission. They used to offer a discount code, but I don't know if they still do. Maybe someone else knows.

11. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Most stuff covered.

On the ebay-good source. Best way is to bid on sellers who have 100% positive feedback.
    Always check the attached blog-should tell you wjhat expiry date is.
    One touch strips can be used out of date, but wouldn't go beyond a month or two to be on safe side (normally you don't have to as people selling them and there for months ahead)

I did get done on accu check aviva ones once-because it uses a chip, the striops can not be used beyond expiry date. Can't comment on other meters as these were the 2 we used.

One other possibility (only a slight one). If for any reason you were stressed at the time between your 158 and the next number in 200's kitty could have picked up and reacted to that.
    As has been said, pick a meter and stick with it. Just do your monthly control tests so you know meter is working in the correct range. Don't forget to set the vial number on your meter before using the strips.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.