My Sam isn't eating

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Melanie Lesko, Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melanie Lesko

Melanie Lesko New Member

Hello, just found out Sam has diabetes 3 days ago, he wasn't eating, lots of urination, lethargic. Took to vet and was diagnosed. We just started vetsulin this morning, once we get going will his appetite return? Worried because I know he needs to eat to get insulin. Any words of encouragement will help. This is a daunting task for me and my hubby. Sam has always eaten well, raced to get food. Thanks in advance

2. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

You could try some beechnut babyfood meats. The ingredients should be chicken, broth, ect. No spices. Try lunchmeat, anything that will get him to eat. Boiled chicken? Is he interested and walks away? Licking lips? Might be nauseous, usually cats with high blood sugar are ravenous. Do you have a meter to test his bg?

Melanie Lesko likes this.
  3. Kathryn & Nugget

Kathryn & Nugget Member

Hang in there. The adjustment at first seems insurmountable, but you will figure out what works for you and hubby and Sam. When my Nugget won’t eat, the vet says offer lots of different varieties and let her have what she wants (even if it isn’t diabetic food), because cats NEED to eat- they are not like dogs or humans in that regard. Nugget likes boars Head ever roast chicken, maybe you could try that with Sam?

Melanie Lesko and Chris & Lucy like this.
  4. Melanie Lesko

Melanie Lesko New Member

Sam loves lunch meat, just so afraid to feed wrong thing while trying to get this whole process wrapped around my brain. Always appreciate advice and I have turkey breast. ☺ He has been on prescription dry food due to weight, I know it's not preferred but after only 1 day of injections I went down this morning to see he had eaten all of his dinner ☺ I am actually breathing, could the insulin really affected him that quickly?

5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Melanie, I don't see how much insulin Sam is getting. I'm glad he's eating, but the dry food is not ideal, as you mentioned. I'm going to suggest you create a signature, that will be attached to each of your posts so that members can see pertinent information on Sam and not have to ask each time. It's easy to create, just click on your user name in the right hand upper corner of the page, and then click on signature. I'm going to put in a link explaining how and what is good information to include.
    About the signature

6. Kathryn & Nugget

Kathryn & Nugget Member

We are dealing with kidney issues and anemia on top of the diabetes, and every vet (and I have been to a lot of them) tells me "feed whatever she will eat", because almost all of it can be regulated and controlled. What kind of dry food is he eating? I feed Nugget the Purina DM (diabetic dry food). You need a prescription from a vet for it (I order off Chewy), and although it is definitely higher in carbs than wet food, it seems to be tasty to her. Right now, its all she will eat. Unfortunately kidney diets and diabetes diets contradict each other, but everyone has reiterated to me it is more important that she eats, forget about worrying about carb content and percentage of protein and all that.

What kind of insulin and what dose are you giving Sam?

7. Melanie Lesko

Melanie Lesko New Member

General question, Sam is not the type of cat to cuddle and give lots of lap time, can we give him his shot when he is eating? Also he he loving wet food we have been transitioning hI'm too. Doing Fancy Feast as that seems most recommended.

8. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Good morning Melanie. Idjit isn't a lap cat either, and I did give him his injection while he was eating. I worked out my own system, I tested, then prepared the syringe, and his food. I had put a towel on my bed and I brought food dish and syringe to the bed. Idjit always followed, jumped up on the bed to his "tablecloth". It was so much easier for me to inject him at that level while he was eating. Worked every time and he never seemed to notice or mind. Maybe something like that would work for you?

9. Melanie Lesko

Melanie Lesko New Member

Thank you Idjit's mom. Want to best we can for Sam to eat and get insulin. Wasn't sure if it had to be a spaced apart more but think most importantly is that he eats and gets insulin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.