My Squeakers is refusing to eat any low carb food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mary E. Beavers, Jul 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mary E. Beavers

Mary E. Beavers Member

The past 3 or 4 days Squeakers has been refusing to eat his low carb wet food. He will eat the dry high carb food which I refuse to give him. He will also eat any raw meats and even cooked chicken and his favorite snack...hotdog. He has been doing so well and gained about a pound but he has had runny stool which I contribute to too much raw ground beef...but I had to get him to eat something. He doesn't like fish at all so I tried pouring canned chicken juice on his food with no go but he would lick the juice from the can and he ate some of the chicken. I do not know what to do from here. Is it better to allow him to eat the high carb food rather then go hungry ???

2. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Hi Mary,

do you mean that he refuses to eat any wet food or only specific, low carbs type?
    You can try crushing a bit of dry food and sprinkle it on top of the wet.
    Or grate a little Parmesan Cheese and put it on top. See if he goes for it.

Do you home test?

If Beavers eats dry high carbs foods his BG will be elevated which damages his organs, namely the kidneys.

Eating is imperative for cats. Fasting for as short as 24 hours can cause major problems in some cats. I think I would focus on feeding him whatever he wants to eat.

However, the high carbs food - dry or wet - will keep his BG high and you'll have to adjust his dose.
    If you do not home test increasing and shooting blindly can lead to Hypoglycemia.

Sending appy vines to Beavers!
    @Mary E. Beavers

Mary E. Beavers likes this.
  3. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

If he likes raw food, have you considered feeding him a raw diet? You need to either supplement or follow a recipe, since just raw muscle meat does not contain all the nutrients he needs, but there is nothing wrong with a raw diet if he tolerates it.

There is a lot of info about making cat food on catinfo.org, or you could try a supplement like this one: http://www.foodfurlife.com/

I tried raw for a minute but Spot never took to it, so there are many others that would be able to give better info, but its definitely worth a shot if he seems to like it already!

4. Mary E. Beavers

Mary E. Beavers Member

Yes I do home test my Squeakers but he has been refusing to eat only a few bites of food here and there...his levels are doing okay but the Novolin N only works on him for 4 to 6 hours so I am going to start today to give him 2 units every 8 hours instead of every 12 hours.
    And Yes I am very aware of how not eat I g in a cat can cause severe problems my Molly McGee got Fattty Liver and Pancreatitis from not eating and she almost did not make it but I never let her stay in the hospital I took her home and force feed her food and water 8 to 10 times a day for over 3 months until she finally started eat I g on her own. Now the girl can not stop eat I g she is extremely obese

5. Mary E. Beavers

Mary E. Beavers Member

I have seen the recipe on catinfo.com but I can't get myself to even think about the rabbit part although I could get it from the Amish market. I will look I to the supplements and see how they mY work in this situations. Squeakers wants nothing ti do with any food at this point....I believe he is waiting for the raw meat.... I am gonna go and buy some raw chicken for him today and see if he eats that and if not then off to the vet we go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.