My Sweet Sassy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sassy's Mom, Jul 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sassy's Mom

Sassy's Mom New Member

SassySanta.jpg My sweet tuxedo Sassy, is about 20 years old. She adopted me, so her age is an estimate based on when she decided to move in. About a month ago I got the devastating news that she was diabetic. She has been on thyroid meds for several years, but otherwise healthy. Of late, her coat began to look ragged, she appeared to be covered in "dandruff" and she was having more difficulty jumping up on furniture. I chalked these things up to her age at first. She was eating well, and did not seem to be drinking or urinating excessively. One morning I noticed she got in and out of the litter box without doing anything, and later noticed a couple of small puddles on the kitchen floor. When I wiped them up, they were pinkish, so I knew something was wrong. Off to the vet we went. She had a UTI, but then came the diagnosis of diabetes. As the tears flowed, my vet told me that if I decided to treat the diabetes it would have to start immediately, but there was also the discussion of putting her down due to her age and other complications. In hindsight, I think the vet was trying to give me an out due to the cost and commitment associated with a diabetic cat, especially one of her age. I took her home (with antibiotics for the UTI) and tried to imagine taking her back to put her down. When I woke up the next morning, I knew what I had to do. I went to see the vet and told him that while I did not want her to suffer, or be selfish in keeping her beyond her time, the only decision I could reach was to treat the diabetes to see if she responded. Any other decision at that point in time would have felt as though I was throwing her away. If she didn't respond or seemed to be in distress with no quality of life, it would make a hard decision easier to make. I took her back the next day for a glucose curve and instructions on giving her insulin, as well as diabetic food. I kept detailed records of her eating, drinking, peeing and pooping habits, as well as her behavior. Within 5 days, her coat was shiny, there was not one flake of dandruff and she had regained strength in her hind legs. Fast forward, after two weeks on insulin, the vet believed that she had gone into remission. We took her off the insulin for 5 days and I took her in for an ear prick to check her glucose. She IS indeed, in remission! I will continue with her diet, monitor her habits and behavior and keep a check on her glucose. But for now, at least, I got the best news possible... I have my sweet Sassy back, she is thriving and I will cherish whatever remaining time we have, knowing that I've done everything I can for her. It's the least I could do for this sweet soul who has given me so much love, affection, smiles and companionship for almost 2 decades.

MrWorfMen's Mom, BJM and Dyana like this.
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Glad that Sassy is in remission after a very short time

Sassy's Mom likes this.
  3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and Sassy. She's adorable, and 20 years old, wow that's great. So glad you decided to treat her and that she's in remission. Congratulations!!!!!

4. Sassy's Mom

Sassy's Mom New Member

Thank you! I definitely made the right decision!

Sharon14 likes this.
  5. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Yay, for Sassy! I had a horse name Sassy once :)
    Her blood sugars may have become elevated because of the infection.
    I would try to keep her on a wet food only and low carbohydrate diet as much as possible.

6. Sassy's Mom

Sassy's Mom New Member

At the moment she is on the Purina DM and I have been reading all I can about other non-prescription wet foods. I have two other cats, and have decided to feed them all wet food from now own as a preventative measure. Since it's difficult to keep each one out of the other bowls, I'd like to find a less expensive food that is suitable for them all. As for the infection, I believed at first that the UTI was caused by the sugar in her urine. I've read that is common in diabetic cats, but it is possible it was the other way around. She originally was on a one week course of antibiotics and the infection came back after she went into remission. She is back on antibiotics for 2 weeks.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  7. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I have 7 cats and they are all fed the same thing - Friskies canned food. They constantly play musical bowls. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.