my vet after 3 yrs says vetsulin is not working.

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by buddybean, Oct 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buddybean

buddybean New Member

buddy was diagnosed w/ diabetes 3 yrs ago my vet put him on vetsulin. My vet is changing it to PZI. Have known for a long time that vesulin is not working. Buddy is a 20 lb cat no matter what i feed him.. my whole cat house is on wellness core and EVO. buddy only gets EVO 1/3 cup a day and fancy feast 2 times a day. he is isolated at times.(80%) of the time. I prick his ear every day..it is always high. I give him 3 to 4 units of vetsulin a night before I go to work. I hate it but I have to do it. I keep him in the living room at night and blindly give him 2 units in the am... Now my vet tells me that .. "oh we don't think vetsulin was working and now we are going to PZI" My ? is .. do I take him to the vet for a new dosage ck which will be high? ave appt Tuesday.. they have to keep him allllll day... Buddy is going to freak and I will have adjust his insulin myself but I have to do this to get the insulin. can I self adjust once I know for sure with my own ear prick? vets have to adjust surly for stress on cats. I question my vet anyway....any thoughts would help
    Jan

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with PZI but there is a group of people on this site who can help you with the change over. I don't see any need for your buddy to have to spend the day at the vet. It's just pricey and too stressful for your cat. If you post over in the PZI group, they can help you.
    There are plenty of ways you can save money and doing your own curves at home are a perfect place to start. By home testing, you will know the true BG numbers, and you can decide on a proper dose. At the vets, the stress will not give a true number, so any dose your vet suggests could be too high and harmful.

Maybe you can ask in the PZI group for suggestions from others who have switched from vetsulin to PZI.

I started my Shadoe on Caninsulin (same as Vetsulin but in Canada) and she was doing poorly so we switched to Lantus and then Levemir. She is doing much better and I based the switch dosage on help from the people on this site; my vet was not involved in my decision to change insulin or to select the dose.

Welcome to the site; I am sure you will begin to see some good improvements once you switch insulin.

3. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

PZI isn't as fast acting as Vetsulin.
    Cats bg's can go up by as much as 100 points at vets-worth mentioning. You could say to vet that you don't want them to give more than a certain amount to try and keep kitty in safe numbers.

Have you read about Lantus or Levemir? Both have had excellent results in cats.
    PZI has got some cats off insulin and as stated above there is a support group for this insulin.

Just think it might be worth having a look at the other insulins and discussing with your vet.

My friend got one of those laser pens and did exercise times with her cat-really helped shift some excess weight.

That's the pther thing-kitty should be dosed on IDEAL weight, NOT ACTUAL weight.

Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.