My vet recommended Janet & Binky's list to me!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Heather & Seasaidh (GA), Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heather & Seasaidh (GA)

Heather & Seasaidh (GA) Member

She's a keeper!!! She talked with an endocrine vet from Tufts about Bumperic's case, as he's difficult to regulate (on Lantus, 2u bid). They want me to keep him on low carb canned food (they prefer that he eats Purina DM), but if I didn't want to feed him DM then I could feed him something he likes on Janet & Binky's list!

these are her exact words "Keep him on canned Purina DM food. If you find that it becomes too expensive, check Binky's List of canned foods (it's on one of the feline diabetic cat sites; just Google it) and pick something that he likes. A canned-food-only diet is preferable for him because it will be lower in carbohydrates."

They want me to keep him on the low carb canned food diet (he's been on that anyway since I got him!), and keep him at 2u Lantus bid, for a month. I am to do a curve once a week, and my vet will check the curves in a month. If we don't see any improvement then they're thinking of changing his insulin.

If anyone is interested in Bumperic's SS, here it is http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... aQ0E&hl=en

Janet & Binky (GA), thank you for all of your hard work, and to everyone who helped make this list possible. I'm so happy to see it getting the recognition it deserves!
    :RAHCAT

2. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Absolutely Awesome! YAY!!
    I read this & quickly glanced to see your location....... MA..... nowhere near me or I saw a new Vet in my future ;-)

3. Chris and Murphy (GA)

Chris and Murphy (GA) New Member

That is amazing.

After my Murphy was diagnosed and I found this site, I felt that I knew more about FD than my vet did.

For you to have a vet that knows about Janet & Binky's food list is very cool. Your vet could very well be a keeper. Keep us posted and, " Whoo HOO "!

4. Heather & Seasaidh (GA)

Heather & Seasaidh (GA) Member

I'm crossing my fingers that she stays...but since the practice got sold a few years ago it's had a high turn-around of vets :(

When my first sugarkitty was dx'd (Seasaidh), his ex-vets didn't understand about nutrition and diabetes. They pretty much humored me when I told them Seasaidh was able to get off insulin by eating Fancy Feast and low carb canned foods. I hope that by now they've come into the 21st century with the rest of us.

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

This is great news! My only question (and I haven't looked at the SS) is 2 units an appropriate dose? You are home testing, (I figure you wouldn't have ss if you weren't) ;-), so you will be monitoring to see if that is correct dosing or not.

And just to be sure - you've read the stickies in Lantus right? About how lantus works and protocol and all......

I know I'm not talking to a newbie, but some of us well may not have read that stuff recently and all....... :smile:

6. Chris & Mally

Chris & Mally Member

Wow, how cool is that!

The new vet I saw on Tuesday told me there was a list online where I could find low carb canned food. He didn't know the name of it but he knew it was there. I whipped out my copy of Janet & Binky's list from my purse and showed it to him. I liked the fact that he knew there was a list online. :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.