My vet said my ReliOn Confirm could be off from theirs

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Laura bb, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

How big of a difference is it between a human meter and one from a vet? I know wal mart was less then $20 and my vet said theirs is $95. My vet told me today that mine could read wrong. Should I try to buy theirs with the money I don't have? Is one less painful?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

There's no direct comparison between human and pet meters, but at low numbers (which are the most important for safety) they run pretty close.

On a human meter, the "time to act" is when they drop below 50....on a pet meter, it's when they drop below 68

The biggest problem with the pet meter is the cost of the strips, not the meter itself....the strips are about $1 EACH.....not many of us can afford that!!

All our protocols were developed using human meters so we're very familiar with them. What a lot of vets don't consider is that the pet meters are really fairly new …..before someone developed a "pet" meter, the only thing people interested in home testing could use were human meters!!

Laura bb likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

your vet is charging you too much for the alpha pet meter.

A starter kit on amazon is $48
    AlphaTRAK 2 Veterinary Blood Glucose Monitoring Meter Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079Y62RS6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_5zCWBbQK0CSGQ

The alpha strips are expensive at about a dollar each, HOWEVER you can use Freestyle Insulinx Strips and they only cost $30 for 100. I've found them to be very accurate in the alpha meter.

FreeStyle Insulinx Blood Glucose Test Strips https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IW8TSTQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_LBCWBbKVNQZBT

Attached Files:

Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.