My Vina has Diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kat2cat, Aug 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kat2cat

Kat2cat New Member

Hello-New to the group as of yesterday. My Vina girl was sluggish, losing weight, drinking (falling asleep in her water dish). BS-488. Got my education yesterday-2 u Humulin AM and PM. My question, is that she was used to getting a small meal around noon and is now wanting to eat. Can I give her something small to carry her over to 4:00 pm when I can give her another insulin dose? Thanks for this site. I loved reading all of the comments.
    Kat2cat

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    It is OK to feed a mid meal. Just be consistent.

By Humalin do you mean Humalin N since there are other kinds of Humulin since Humalin is Eli Lilly's trade name for a family of insulins. N insulinis not the bst for cats since it only lasts 8-10 hours
    Good insulin are the human Lantus and Levemir and the pet insulins ProZinc and BCP PZI. For those two human insulin it is best to get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens via a 10 ml vial. Although per ml the vial is less expensive most cats will not use up a 10 ml vial before the insulin goes bad/becomes ineffective. The human insulin N/NPH is sometimes prescribed but only lasts 8-10 hours. Same for the pet insulin Vetsulin/Caninisulin.
    Most of us here test or cats blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-a-ss-and-link-it-in-your-signature.130337/
    What are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. Not reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb cannedhttp://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/

Here is a link to home testing blood sugarshttp://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

2 units sis high stating does, especially for N.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    As Larry notes, Humulin NPH tends not to last a full 12 hours. Once you're home testing, you'll likely see this. If so, for good control, it may be necessary to shoot (give insulin) about every 8 hours.
    For some other assessments you may make to evaluate your cat see my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools, especially water intake/thirst, dehydration, urine volume and frequency, and urine ketones and glucose.

4. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

My cat was on Novolin (same as Humulin; just different manufacturers) and was on 2 units. At best, she was getting 6-8 hours of benefit on it, not 12 hours. She soon went hypo. Novolin is fast and short acting and harsh on a cat.

Please see Larry's link for home testing blood sugars. This is a must while a cat is on insulin. Many of us use a human glucometer for home testing. A popular, inexpensive choice is Walmart's Relion Micro or Confirm glucometer and strips. Starting out, we recommend using a 26 or 28 lancet gauge (I use a 26). See the links Lary & Kitties and BJM gave you above. They are very handy.

Also keep on hand some honey, karo syrup or high carb gravy food in case Vina goes hypo.

Welcome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.