Mystery diagnostics

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jen and Milo P., Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jen and Milo P.

Jen and Milo P. Member

Ok, Milo's spreadsheet will hopefully be attached at the end of this message.

So, At 8.5 units we are getting flat numbers in the 300s on Lantus, with no end in sight of how much we can increase and increase his dosage. I am trying to figure out if there is a link to any of his other current problems that may be causing him to not react properly to the insulin being injected. Currently he is deaf, has food allergies, and then dx with diabetes last sept. Now has also developed many other issues but those are from the unregulated diabetes. Things to consider here at Acromegaly, Cushings, IAA, which I think it may be, and I am looking to see if his allergies or deafness can link us to why he may be resistant to the insulin. Any suggestions are welcome.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... utput=html

2. Mal and Tubby (GA)

Mal and Tubby (GA) Member

Er... is that 8u of lantus once a day? Dose seems a tad high. Lots of cats on Lantus here so you should get lots of replies. :smile:

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

quick simple question.....did you start at 1unit twice a day and work up gradually? since your spreadsheet starts at 5, that is a question we'll need answered. it's possible since the hometesting didn't start until you were already at a higher dose that the right dose was missed but i am going to see if we can get some acro mom's, etc....over here to see what they think and to ask the pertinent questions i don't know :) when wondering if a kitty is acro or not or something else

4. Jen and Milo P.

Jen and Milo P. Member

No, its 8.5 units of LAntus 2 times a day. LAntus started at 1 or 2 units in early January, and the spreadsheet starts where I began home testing. It seems high, yes, but for my cat its not.

5. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea what to look for in this situation. I would suggest you consider cross-posting your question to the high-dose kitty forum; they may have a better idea of things to look at. (Scroll to the bottom of the page; in the lower right corner is a pop-up list labelled "Jump To". Select "High Dose" and press Go.) I hope you and Milo get this figured out soon!

6. paige

paige Well-Known Member

What are you feedimg Milo and what were his numbers prior to your home testing?

7. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

She's ok everyone.. this is the cat I was cat-sitting and she's taking him in for testing Friday. cat is probably acro/iaa/cushings and she's been doing a really good job of monitoring. She's looking for correlations between the varying characteristics so she can talk to her vet about different conditions and talk him into doing these tests.

8. paige

paige Well-Known Member

YaY Carolyn to the rescue. Whew! :mrgreen:

9. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

ah yes, Piranha's mom :D

10. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

perfect carolyn :) thank you. that answers all the questions in my mind

11. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

LOL yes this is the infamous Piranha and his mama Jen :)

12. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I've got nothing to add or advice. Just wishing you all the best at the vet and hope the tests give you the answers you need.

Please let us know what happens.

13. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

if he displayed the outward symptoms of cushings I'd direct Amanda over here as she had to deal with it with her poor little Iris but I've not read anything that suggests Cushings, correct?

14. Jen and Milo P.

Jen and Milo P. Member

Right, Cushings isnt of main concern here. Mostly IAA and ACro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.