Napoleon 5/16

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Nicole and Napoleon, May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole and Napoleon

Nicole and Napoleon Well-Known Member

AMPS - 326 -1U
    +6 - 341
    +9 - 360
    +11 - 388

PMPS - 348 - 1.5 u
    +2 - 364
    +3 - 357
    +5 - 324

2. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Hi Napoleon's mom:

I've been watching your post from time to time, but noticed that you haven't answered my question about trying TID. I know it's a bit of a challenge to go TID, but if you're home and you think you could do this... I really think this will help Napoleon. Many beans that are using ProZinc have had to deal with this type of insulin only holding for 8 to 10 hours. If that's the case with Napoleon? I would try to shoot before he hits the 12 mark. Again, this is only if you can handle doing this. One of the challenges with TID is watching for Hypoglycemia. This part can be scary at first cause it's all so new to you. You need to test at least +2 +4 +6 so you know when to lower the dose. You definitely need to make sure you shoot when he's on the raise too. If you decide not to do this.. that's fine. We're all here to help you the best we can. Another thing to keep in mind if you're going to try and switch up the doses per AMPS & PMPS - If it were me, I'd shoot the lower dose at PMPS since most kitties go lower in the evenings.

3. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

Good morning! I've been looking at your progress but not commenting. It looks like Napoleon is getting some yellow this morning, which is good. How is he feeling?

I think it can be really difficult when evaluating the bg data, of what is too much insulin and rebound, and what is just too little insulin. I don't know for sure what you have. I'm still trying to figure it out for my kitty.

I have tried to start over at 1u with my kitty, but have never stuck to the program. It just seems for us like it's not enough insulin. He drinks water, he pees a lot, and his fur feels dried out.

BUT, if you are committed to a redo, which may be warranted if you have switched diets from dry food to low carb wet within the last few weeks, then the advice I have usually read here is to stick with the dose for at least 3 to 4 cycles (where each shot is a cycle, so a couple of days). So if you try 1.25u, then based on overall cat health, stick with it for a few cycles, evaluate, then up the dose another .25u, if needed. Stick with that dose for a few days, evaluate and up the dose if necessary. What I have seen here is that sometimes the first dose of a dose change makes a lot of difference. But after a couple of cycles the effect diminishes.

What I have read on this forum too, is that riding out the high numbers can be difficult. With a history of ketones, it's more worrisome. Extra food and water can help keep ketones at bay. But so can more insulin.

You are doing a great job with testing and recording data. Keep us posted on your progress!

4. Nicole and Napoleon

Hi Michelle,
    Thanks for checking in on us. I'm sorry to have not addressed the TID suggestion, please know it is not intentional. A lot of times I read from my phone and it is sometimes hard to see all of the posts. Unfortunately, TID is not an option for us right now. He is on BCP 100% bovine insulin. I wish it was, I am temporarily laid off and going back to work in the next few weeks. Today may have ben a breakthrough for us, his numbers are going down!!!! :mrgreen:

Hi Donna,
    Thank you for the kind words. We are making some progress I think. I cannot believe how much of a difference so little insulin can make!!! He seems good today, energy, eating, preening, etc. With some help in making a decision for dosing (thanks Lori and Tom) I think I am heading in the right direction, with a 1u, 1.25u and 1.50u scale, with 1.50u for the higher numbers. Im riding this one out and seeing where this takes us. Wish us luck!!!

Nicole

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i had to laugh when you said how much difference such a little insulin makes :lol: imagine how i feel shooting .2 or .4 into a 280. it took me a while to buy that notion to even shoot such a tiny dose...but it's doing it's job.

6. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

7. Nicole and Napoleon

Lori, it's absolutely unbelievable! Seems to be working though. I'm happy enough with that :mrgreen:

Thanks Michelle! Keep on sending us those good vibes! They are very appreciated! I think patience is what I need to practice most. I am starting to think patience is the lesson I am supposed to learn in this life, things just work out that way for me. Lol!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi Nicole, just took a look at those 'interesting' #'s he's throwing at you tonight. Ride it if you can, well, what choice do you have tonight anyway....how's the WCR (whole cat report)?

9. Nicole and Napoleon

Hi Lori,

He seemed a little more lethargic tonight after PMPS. I am just giving him a little extra food with added water to keep ketones at bay. Hopefully tomorrow will bring us better numbers. He's not drinking or peeing a lot so I guess that is a good sign.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

he's really giving you a lesson in patience is'nt he? little bugger. fwiw, i'm waiting just as eagerly to see his amps.
    let's not worry ok?

11. Nicole and Napoleon

Oh, most definitely!
    I'm trying, thinking good thoughts :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.