Napoleon is starting over with Lantus

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicole and Napoleon, May 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole and Napoleon

Nicole and Napoleon Well-Known Member

Anybody have any pointers switching from PZI to Lantus? Should I detox for a certain amount of time? Vet wants to start him at 1.5 - 2U bid. 1.5 would be the better choice I am assuming? Thanks!

2. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Just wanted to point something out from your spreadsheet. On 5/27 you shot at +3 when he got to BG 277. When you shot at PMPS 450... did you consider the time difference? Meaning that you may have shot at nine hours from the first shot... sending Napoleon into rebound with the PM 2.5 Units. If that's what happened.. that's what messed with his numbers. 3.0 units should of not been shot yesterday.

Please know that their are folks on here that check up on you guys, we want to help, but if you can not keep us up to date with what's going on... we can't really help. You may want to post over at Lantus Land too.

Good luck!

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

If you want to change insulins, you can do that immediately. No need for a detox or waiting period.

I do highly recommend that you read the stickies on LL so that you better understand how the insulin works, storage shed, care - fridge it ALWAYS, no shaking or rolling vial.

Also, Lantus works VERY differently from PZI, so essentially you must forget what you know about insulin and learn Lantus. Staying on a 12/12 cycle, slow curves, shooting low to stay low, etc.

Come to LL and start a reading.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nicole, I think your doing the right thing by Napolean...that pzi was not working for you guys and it was so hard watching you struggle with those #'s.
    Why don't you introduce yourself on the Lantus board and ask them all the questions. They are a super friendly, helpful group. And BEST OF LUCK girl, you deserve it!

5. Nicole and Napoleon

Nicole and Napoleon Well-Known Member

Thank you for the advice everyone ;-)

Michelle,
    On the day that I shot at +3, I took the time difference into consideration and also shot at the later PMPS, did not shoot at +9. I apologize for not noting that on my spreadsheet, probably should have. Thanks for still checking up on us.

Lori,
    Thank you for the support :) I agree with you, those numbers were scary and really had no rhyme or reason to them. I will set myself up in Lantus and see what the users their have to say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.