Naps the cat and insulin questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Morrigan Phillips, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morrigan Phillips

Morrigan Phillips New Member

Hi all,
    I posted this in the intro thread and it was suggested that I put it in the main health forum instead. So applogies if this is incorrect. Still figuring things out.

Hi all,
    Grateful to have found this forum. I've been reading it for a while but decided to join today. My at Naps was diagnosed with Diabetes on November 11th. Since then its been a bit of a stressful journey. He's currently on 5 unites of Lantus 2x a day and eating a high protein diet. After having him stay at the vet a few times for glucose curves the vet and I decided to have him tested at home. So I got a glucose meter and supplies and did a curve at home. It did not go well. His first reading was 325 (after his first meal before insulin). After his morning does of insulin his glucose number went up, not down. It continued to go up throughout (though never above 400) the day until 4pm when it started to go down. By the evening it was back to 325 but went up again two hours after his evening insulin dose. But intersetingly he didn't have a lot of symptoms. Really for the past week he hasn't been drinking excessively or uniating a lot. It all seems average. He's got a good appetite (I feed him the purina DM wet food). His name suites him, he's a good napper and has been snoozing away the days. But also has energy. He was watching and batting at the birds on the fire escape (through the window).

Today I took him to the vet for a 6 hour glucose test (so 6 hours after his morning insulin) his number was 416. I know its probably this high because of the stress of going to the vet. But at the same time Sunday when I did it at home it was 356.

I'm looking for guidance on reading and resources about how insulin might be working and why after his doses his glucose numbers might be going up. Is there a good thread to go to to get some insights?

Thank you all so much!

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Just a few comments regarding testing/curves. You should do your pre-shot test before you feed rather than after. So, the order is: 1) Test, 2) Feed and 3) Give shot. This is so that the test results are not impacted by food (there should be no access to food for at least 2 hours before that test). Then, if you are doing a curve, test again every two hours after that for 12 hours (or 24).

I have not used Lantus, but 5u twice a day sounds like a really large dose, especially for a cat who was just diagnosed in November. What was his starting dose? Were dosing increases based on curves? How much were the increases each time? There is a forum specific to Lantus. You may want to read the 'stickies' found there.

We use a spreadsheet here to track our testing results and doses given. If you could set one up and begin entering your test results, it would be very helpful. It would also be nice if you could add a signature with some basic info (like you see under our posts) so that you do not have to repeat it every time you post.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Naps is off to a really good start, you just joined today and you're already committed to doing curves at home. You skipped right over the part where your world ended! Welcome to life in the fast lane Naps. ;)

4. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

First of all welcome and congratulations for testing at home!!! You are doing great

It would help if you could post all the test results that you have better if you could put them in the spreasheet we use (this is the link with the information on how to do it http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/) so that we can have more information, it does seem like too high a dose, specially since you went from 1 unit to 5 units in one month and a half, we usually do 0.25 units increments so that we don't go past the good dose, if your dose is much more than he needs it can appear as if he needs more (hard to explain I know is complicated) so it's not good

Since you are using Lantus this link has a lot of great information so that you can start understanding how it works

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...the-basics-new-to-the-group-start-here.18139/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.