****NATURA PET FOOD RECALL****

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by quilterkitty, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quilterkitty

quilterkitty Member

Hey everyone, I just read that there's been a recall of all Natura DRY cat and dog foods AND TREATS because of Salmonella contamination. This includes California Natural, EVO, Healthwise, Innova, and Karma brands. Just wanted to let you know. I also posted this on the Health board.

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm34 ... ovdelivery

2. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

It's a voluntary recall, and it's only for the dry food. I just called them, and according to their message, it's from expiration dates April 1, 2013 to March 24, 2014. It doesn't include the canned or biscuits.

3. Mary and Stella

Mary and Stella Well-Known Member

I had a bad dry food bag and took it back to the petstore when I saw the origional post last month. This just makes me so very glad that I didn't risk it and keep it. Ironically, I had gotten very sick @ that time, and was actually home sick when I took the bag back. Sort of makes you go, hmmm....

4. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Shoot! I just got some EVO treats for Emma, my civvie, held off opening them until I went back and they assured me the EVO treats weren't part of the recall! I also have a bag of EVO I got free when I adopted Emma that I was going to donate to the shelter. :twisted: So no receipt for that. I guess I'm glad I haven't had time to get out there yet.

5. quilterkitty

quilterkitty Member

They just expanded the recall today, and since it now includes the treats (and some people here feed their cats dry food, and some have droolers, um, dogs) I thought it might be helpful to some people. Pet food recalls are not fun, but I'm so glad we get timely notice of them!

6. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Gosh, they just keep expanding this recall....I half expect to eventually hear that canned food IS affected, too. I only use a little EVO canned since Frankie likes it but Trix doesn't....I may avoid it for a while, though, even though it's not part of the current recall.

7. quilterkitty

quilterkitty Member

Good idea, Amy. You might be right. Seems like if one area of the processing plant is contaminated, others could be as well. And I appreciate that the company is being extra cautious because only a small sample of the food and treats was found to be affected. But until reports start coming in from pet owners, there's no way to know for sure how far this will go. Wishing ALL our furkids good health!

8. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

Natura Expands Recall of Dry Food, Treats
    Posted: April 22, 2013, 1:50 p.m. EDT (Veterinary Practice News)

Natura Pet Products, acting on what the manufacturer called "an abundance of caution,” has voluntarily expanded a month-old recall to include all dry pet food and treats bearing expiration dates through March 24, 2014.

The recall, ordered because of potential salmonella contamination, does not involve any canned wet foods or biscuits.

Evo and Innova are among five brands affected by the Natura Pet Products recall.

The affected brands include California Natural, Evo, Innova and HealthWise dry food and treats for dogs and cats. Karma dry dog food was not part of a recall announced March 18 but was added to the list.

All UPCs and lot codes are part of the wider recall, Fremont, Neb.-based Natura reported April 19.

The affected products are sold through veterinary clinics and pet stores in the United States, Canada, Hong Kong, Korea, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Australia and Costa Rica as well as online.

The action followed testing conducted by the Michigan and Georgia departments of agriculture, which confirmed the presence of salmonella in additional foods and treats.

Symptoms of salmonella poisoning in pets include lethargy, diarrhea, fever and vomiting. People who handle contaminated pet products may exhibit similar symptoms.

Pet owners are advised to discard the recalled food. Information about replacement food or a refund is available by calling 800-224-6123 from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. CDT Monday through Friday.

Additional consumer and retailer information is available at www.naturapet.com/recall.

9. tortie58

tortie58 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info!
    California Natural, Evo & Innova are very popular brands in Hongkong.

10. Mary and Stella

Mary and Stella Well-Known Member

FYI- I did not have the receipt, but knew I bought it from PetSmart. They gladly took it back and gave me credit. They said they would be reimbursed by the petfood company. I am sure your local pet store will do the same!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.