NaturVet Digestive Enzymes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by StephG, Aug 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I decided to buy some NaturVet Digestive Enzymes for Chuck. He's starting to lose weight again. My vet said to give it a try and if he continues to lose to bring him in.
    I bought some on Amazon. I didn't research as much as I should have because I know someone that uses it. I thought the 10 oz bag was cheaper due to the packaging.
    It is a DIFFERENT formula. It's "NaturVet Digestive Enzymes with pro and prebiotics"... This formula has stevia and ginger in it. It tastes sweet and has a somewhat strong smell.
    My cat did okay with one dose but I'm returning it. He doesn't need the extras. Just wanted to let everyone know just in case they are shopping for it. :bighug:

Attached Files:

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Here's more information to clear up the label confusion on jars versus bags of this product. I use it for my kitty and I think it's helped him. I'm sure others who investigate will get confused the same way Steph and I were. I contacted the company. Here's my message and their response:

My jar is labelled enzymes plus pre- and probiotic yet its ingredients are identical to the list on your site for the jar that says probiotic only. The bag version has both pre- and probiotic on its label yet I know from someone who purchased a bag that its ingredients are different - ginger, more maltodextrin, etc. The dosing is also different - 1 rounded tsp per cup of food rather than 1/4 rounded tap that I see on my jar. This info is ESSENTIAL for pet owners to know because some ingredients could be contraindicated - eg. too much maltodextrin for a diabetic cat.

The supplement I have (new 4 oz jar, expiry in 2020) is helping my cat a lot. I recommended it to someone else who ordered the 10 oz bag only to find it's different and not suitable for her diabetic. If you could clarify this on your website and make sure that other sellers highlight this we'd all appreciate it.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's their response:

From: naturvet@naturvet.com [mailto:naturvet@naturvet.com]
    Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2018 6:39 AM
    To: Naturvet
    Subject: New submission from Contact

Subject

labelling/contents of digestive enzymes plus probiotic

Thank you for your product inquiry as this is one of the products that quite a few customers inquire about.

First of all, our enzymes blend in each product is the same. It was formulated by an enzymes specialty company and it contains digestive enzymes, pro and prebiotics and there is no way any of the components came be separated. The only exception is the Advanced product which contains PB6 which is added to the enzyme blend. The maltodextrin which is automatically in the blend that we purchase was the specialty company’s recommendation and according to them is safe for diabetic animals. But thank you for pointing that out and I will research it further. But we have never had a call stating that it effected a diabetic pets level.

We are bound by AAFCO and the FDA on what we can put on the label and how we can also state it on the label. For instance, we must say “This product is intended for intermittent or supplemental feeding only” because AAFCO does not recognize this product as being essential for their daily supplement. Yet we believe that it is beneficial for every animal. All of my dogs and horses receive this daily with their meals. But the addition of another ingredient into the blend can totally change the way we have to state things on the label. It is frustrating to us and very confusing with our customers. We have changed and discarded more labels on our digestive enzyme products then any other product in our manufacturing history.
    The dosing is also different - 1 rounded tsp per cup of food rather than 1/4 rounded tap that I see on my jar. The 10 oz. bag and the 4 and 8 oz. powders contain the same amount of active ingredients per dose. However, the 10 oz. bag also contains natural flavoring (chilsonated chicken), calcium carbonate, and ginger. With these ingredient additions, the dosage has to increase to get the same amount of actives with the bag product as is in the jar. These additional ingredients also give the product in the bag a different color.

We are very happy the product is helping your cat and I have attached a September Mail In Rebate Coupon for your use with your next purchase.

Sue Friley

Director of Education & Training
    NaturVet by Garmon Corp.
    27461 Via Industria
    Temecula, CA 92590
    888-628-8783 Fax 951-225-7977

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) and StephG like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.