? Nausea/Ondansetron

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicole & Baby, Apr 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hi, Sadi is having nausea (puked 3 times today), I have Ondansetron on hand but it expired on 1/1/16 (about 3 months ago), do you think it is safe & useful to use?

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Poor Sadie. Sorry I don't know about that drug. Feel better vines sent.

Nicole & Baby likes this.
  3. Nicole & Baby

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear that Sadie's queasy. I've no idea about giving a med that's past its expiry date. Is your vet open? Could you give them a ring for advice?

:bighug:

Mogs

5. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

Awwwww - poor Sadie! I *think* it is ok to use. My vet gave us a bottle of adequan that was going to expire and told me it was fine to use for a year past the expiry date, she just couldn't sell it. I would shoot your vet a quick email or call to double check, but I think it's OK.

Hope she feels better!

Nicole & Baby and Critter Mom like this.
  6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would use it. I have used expired Ondansetron with no problems

Nicole & Baby and Critter Mom like this.
  7. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree - I would use it as well Maybe look for decreased effectiveness, but unlikely with expiration of just a few months

8. Nicole & Baby

thank you all! appreciate your replies! I had given a Pepcid AC about 10 minutes after I got home & when she puked that up .. I posted this. (wanted to bring out the little guns before the big RX guns) :nailbiting: In the meantime, I checked her temp (not running one), had a solid movement (not runny) & altho lazy .. awake, alert, oriented. So I posted here & facebook .. then she started begging for food (has had a few cans) BIG eater always .. but not overweight & no health issues so I give her healthy food when she wants it ... GRReat news is she has not puked any up and is PURRy FURRy again. Thank you all!! :bighug:

9. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

It is usually perfectly safe to use ood meds, the reason they are 'ood' is that the potency halves:

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  10. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Yes it is ok to use. As another poster mentioned, there's usually at least a six month cushion between expiration date and when it starts to lose effectiveness.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.