NEED ADVICE for KITTY

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Karyanne80, Mar 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karyanne80

Karyanne80 New Member

OK, Here goes....

My Cat Lovey Lou, 12yrs old was diagnosed with Diabetes on 2/1/17 .
    She was excessively drinking water and extremely large urination. I had her on dry food only at the time of diagnoses. Her level was at 560!!!
    I made her an appt for a glucose curve for the following week 2/9/17
    In the meantime, I did a ton of research and I put her on a can food diet with the best I could find in my area 13.5% protein. I was given a prescription for Glargine, but was unable to afford it before her curve that next week. I ended up buying the Vetsulin.
    After her first curve, my vet set her insulin dose at 1 unit in the morning and 1 unit in the evening. The vet told me that they weren't getting her level down as much as they wanted during her curve but it could've been caused by stress and just the initial insulin dose. I started Lovey Lou's insulin that evening and continued the canned food diet (no treats). Her next curve was scheduled for 2/23/17. I didn't see much improvement from her her first 2 weeks of insulin injections. She was still excessively drinking water and large amounts of urination.
    The day before he next curve appt 2/22/17 - I noticed she was having back leg issues.
    When I dropped her off on 2/23/17 for her second glucose curve, I told the vet about her issues with her leg.
    Her results on her curve showed no progress, and her levels were still very high 435-460. The vet changed her does to 2 units in the am and 1 unit in the evening and explained that the leg issue is due to neurapathy. She said it's just a part of her diabetes and is a result of her her levels being high. I asked if I should be monitoring her levels at home and she said no I don't need to do that at this point.....

Well as of yesterday 3/1/17 - Lovey Lou is doing worse. She can barely walk and still drinking a ton of water/large amounts of urine. Now both of her back legs are causing her issues. She is howling and sounds like she is in pain when she tries to walk. She won't sleep with me or even leave the room that she has been in for the past 24hrs. I have seen zero improvement as of day one and she seems to be getting WORSE. It's terrible watching her try to walk and I feel like she is suffering. She even bit me! She has never been agressive or mean and I know she must be in pain =(((
    I called the vet and they told me to bring her in right away. I took her in this morning 3/2/17. My normal doctor that has been working with Lovey Lou was in surgery and I had a different doctor today . The doctor felt around her stomach, back end, legs and tail. Then put her down on the ground to see how she was walking. Lovey Lou of course was super stressed out and wasn't showing the same painful, stiff symptoms as she did at home as she was trying to get back in her cat carrier and was very scared. The doctor did a glucose test and it came back at 460!!! She said there is nothing they can do for her right now and that I should just keep her on the same dose of insulin until next week when they do a fructose test. ???????? I asked why she is getting worse? The vet didn't give me an answer and said just keep doing what you are doing and see if she gets any better.
    I was very frustrated and brought Lovey Lou home. She hasn't moved more than a 2 foot radius since we got home. She can barely stand and howls and meows loudly when she tries to walk. .......She is laying right in front of her water bowl and won't get up. I brought her some food and she took about 3 whole mins to get up and eat, but sat down to eat and then drank a ton of water. She is now laying by her water bowl and hasn't moved for about an hour.
    Why is she having such a hard time??? Why isn't the insulin helping??? Why can't she walk??? Why won't the vet do anything???? Is she in Pain???
    I'm soooo frustrated and I want to help her.... but don't know what to do. Her next appt is 3/9/17 - I don't think I can handle watching her suffer like this another day!!! Should I call my vet back and ask to speak with my original doctor???? Any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    KS

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Karyanne, welcome. Sorry you're having such a tough time. First I would suggest you get a meter and start home testing Lovey Lou's glucose. It's easy to do and the only way to tell how well the insulin is working. Any human meter will do, just get one that takes the smallest amount of blood and has reasonably priced test strips. If you have a Walmart nearby the Relion Confirm or Micro are good ones. Also pick up some lower gauge lancets 26-28 and some ketone test strips. Also is she eating well? And what food are you feeding? Some are lower carb than others and we can help you choose a good one. For the neuropathy, getting her glucose under control will fix that and in the meantime get some Zobaline for diabetic cats. It's Methyl B12 and can help.
    https://www.amazon.com/ZobalineTM-Diabetic-Cats-60-tabs/dp/B008G3LI2M
    If you can get the meter today that would be great. We'll walk you through home testing and get you on the way to helping Lovey Lou feel better.

3. Karyanne80

Karyanne80 New Member

Thank you so much for your helpful response. I will head to Walmart tonight and get the meter, ketone strips and Methyl B12.!!! Much appreciation.

JanetNJ likes this.
  4. Sharon14

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

See if Walmart has a different b12 methylcobalamin... I find the capsules are convenent because you can just open them up and sprinkle on the food. I agree definitely time to test at home. I avoided it for six weeks until my vet upped the dose and I was afraid of hypoglycemia. Once I started I wished I had started from day one.

Susan and Timmy likes this.
  6. Sharon14

Hi @JanetNJ i was just coming on to tag you. I'm sure Karyanne will need help with dosing!

If you get Methyl at Walmart be sure there are no sugars, including artificial.

JanetNJ likes this.
  7. JanetNJ

I'd be happy to help. Sounds like she'll need an increase but We would like to see readings first.

Karyanne if you are home this weekend let's get some data. :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Sharon14 likes this.
  8. Karyanne80

Karyanne80 New Member

You guys are awesome!!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss:I honestly have received more help and advice from you guys, than my actual vet.
    I am just so sad for Lovey and it kills me to see her struggling.
    Headed to the store in about an hour and will start testing her tonight. :cat::cat::cat:

JanetNJ and Sharon14 like this.
  9. JanetNJ

Testing the first few days is tricky, so have patience with the process. Poke the sweet spot just on the edge.

Attached Files:

Karyanne80 likes this.
  10. Karyanne80

Karyanne80 New Member

Ok. Finally got a reading. Took a couple tries, but she was patient enough for one last try. I fed her at 6:30pm and reading at 7:30 was 391........ My question is when is the best time to take a reading? I figured prob before eating but I had to feed her dinner before I read and understood how to use everything properly.
    I also got her some methyl B12. Started that with her dinner.

11. Sharon14

Great! Congratulations on getting a test! We always get a test before feeding and giving a shot. Try to be sure she has no food for 2 hours before the test so it's not food influenced. This number will tell you if it's safe to give the insulin. Also, when you can, it's good to get some spot checks during the cycle. Maybe on weekends and before bed at night. When you get a chance, set up a spreadsheet to record your numbers. It's a great tool to show trends and helps us to give advice.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    If you have trouble setting it up, just ask and someone will do it for you.

Karyanne80 likes this.
  12. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Congrats on getting the testing under way. :D

Karyanne80 likes this.
  13. Karyanne80

Karyanne80 New Member

Ok I will get started on making a spreadsheet for reading results. Weird that my vet has never had me get her readings before giving her an insulin shot. I feel that is very irresponsible. They have me giving her 2units in am and 1 unit in pm. I just feel so much more comfortable knowing now I will have an idea of her levels each day. Thank you for the suggestion of getting the meter.
    She is having a hard time getting comfortable. Just keeps laying in down and twitching her back leg then getting up and circling and repeating..... Is neuropathy painful?

14. JanetNJ

Well done getting that first test!

Ok so next time what you want to do is not feed for two hours before the test... So the numbers aren't food influenced. So test, then feed, then shoot. Good job. Be sure to write all readings down. THEN, if you can get another test around 5 hours afterward to see how the numbers are dropping. Any mid cycle numbers you can get help paint a picture of how she responds. From that data is how you can tell if a dose needs adjusting up or down.

If you are around this weekend it would be a good idea to do a curve. So you would get readings every 2 hours for 12 hours.

Over the next day or two we can help you set up a spreadsheet from a template like the ones you see in our signatures. And please set up a signature too. Include pets name, date diagnosed, insulin and dose, food you are feeding, and any other health concerns. To do this click on your name in the upper right and select signature.

15. Sharon14

Do you know if they tested her potassium levels? That can cause leg problems too. If you have a copy of her bloodwork, there's a page on the spreadsheet to enter it (if you don't have a copy, I recommend you get one, it's good to have)

16. Karyanne80

Karyanne80 New Member

Hello, well I did a couple readings today. Was tough with my work schedule, but this is what I got
    Before Breakfast 5:45am = 364
    After Breakfast 6:00am = 391
    2units of vetsulin
    Methyl b12

Before Lunch 12:00pm = 254
    After Lunch -N/A

Got home from work at 4pm = 309
    Before Dinner Feeding= 359
    Fed her dinner and 1 unit of vetsulin
    After Dinner = 419

I haven't had a chance to make a spreadsheet yet, but going to work on that this weekend and try to do a curve.
    I haven't had her potassium tested, but asking the vet for her last couple blood chart notes.
    Lovey has a fructose appt on 2/9.
    She is still having leg and walking issue.
    Also I'm having a hard time and feel bad poking her ear but know it's something that will help her. Just makes me sad and don't want to hurt her.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  17. Kris & Teasel

We all feel bad doing the poking but it's how we keep them safe. :)

18. Sharon14

Your signature looks good! Yes none of us like the poking part, but remember you're doing it to keep her safe. It'll be great if you can get the curve done this weekend. If you need help with the spreadsheet, just ask!

19. Kris & Teasel

Lovey Lou is a very pretty girl! :)

20. JanetNJ

How is she doing now? Any updates? Maybe you can get the spreadsheet going this weekend?

21. Karyanne80

Karyanne80 New Member

Good Morning, Yes I have updates, but have been sick all week so I haven't been able to get on here. Feeling lots better and here I am. =)
    Lovey is doing a bit better. He counts are still a bit high. Vet increased her to 2 units am and 2 units pm.
    I am still checking her levels and the readings are 300-429 through out the day. Plan on doing a curve on Sunday.
    I have the curve spreadsheet ready to go and I think I have it figured out.
    Lovey had her fructose test on 3/9 - her results were not good. Fructose came back at 463
    The Vet did a urinalysis to rule out a UTI. Came back negative.
    Love really hasn't show any improvements with water consumption or urine size. Still excessive.
    Thank you very much for checking on her. She seems to be much happier lately and more cuddly than she has been in the past month.

22. JanetNJ

well glad she's feeling happier anyway. how long ago did she start 2 units?

23. Kris & Teasel

If you're referring to the spreadsheet we use here, it's an online spreadsheet and is viewable by all members once you've set it up. There's no need to wait until you do a curve to put data in it. If you want to get it up and running with all the numbers you have so far we can help you understand where Lovey is now and what the curve numbers say about the dose once you have them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.